Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Welding questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding questions

Ok, so allready this summer I have done a good amount of damage to all of my toys. My quad has busted control arm mounts, my dirt brike has a cracked motor mount, and my truck just needs some armor. Welding is expensive to have done in NJ, and I would really like to know how, for my own sake. I have never welded before, nor have I ever really been up close to watch anyone do it. I principal I understand it, and the differences between Mig, Tig, Stick, Arc, AC, AC/DC, etc. I have 0 time this summer, with work and all, and trying to finish my degree. But most people tell me with ample instruction, I would be able to teach myself. We get a discount at Grainger Industrial Supply, so I was going to pick up an AC/DC stick welder from there. This one as a matter of fact:

I know Miller and Lincoln are supposedly the 2 best brands, and that one seems about right. I guess my questions are,

Am I right in my info so far?

Is this something I will be able to get good at without much instruction(assuming I have the time to put into it)?

Will this welder be good for fixing the problems above, as well as fixing most kinds of trail damage, fixing various mounts on my quad, and bike, and eventually building a back bumper(The BruceTS kit hopefully)?

I hope to eventually have time to take the course and be certified, but this summer, and porbably next, I will have no time, I really want to finish up with school finally, and summer is our busy season at work. As usual, I appreciate all of your info, you guys always have some some great suggestions, and if all goes well, if anyone in NJ from YT needs anything welded, I'll do it for next to nothin'. Thanks again,
Old 05-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can go to Lowes and near the welding machines you can find a book with basic welding information. When I thumbed through it I found out for different applications you will need a different welder. If you plan on some small stuff like go carts and whatnot a smaller mig will do great, but for major products like a roll cage or something you will need a much more expensive welder. I've taken a basic welding class and I liked Mig much better. Just adjust the amp/voltage to what works with your speed and heat range and pull the trigger.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
youll find mig much easyer to pick up (learn) for the small types of repairs your talking about.

a high amp 110 unit would sound about right for what your looking to do. handler 140 or simlar miller (hobart/miller same diff these days miller is now owned by ITW and my company just got bought by ITW but i dont think i get any discounts )
Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you can learn stick first, i'd go for that. all the other welding processes(besides gas and TIG) will be very easy to pick up after learning stick. really takes more control and precision than mig.

if i had 225 power, i'd go with the thunderbolt. i've been thinking of picking up a maxstar because it can run both 225 and 110.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 AM

First question: What kind of power do you have at your house? Do you have a electric washer/ dryer? If so you can get a 220 service welder. The only problem, you have to use the "power outlet" at the apliance.

110 welders suck!

I have an old Lincoln welder mig welder but I am thinking about getting a tig welder. The welds are much cleaner and no mess.....

Hope this helps...

Last edited by jrallan26; 05-25-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figure that you're anxious to get started in sticking things together, I know I would be, so once you buy something, check the local community college for welding classes. There're a couple of great ones offered at mine, and they take you though EVERYTHING, stick, mig, tig, welding for art, welding for structural, etc.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
I figure that you're anxious to get started in sticking things together, I know I would be, so once you buy something, check the local community college for welding classes. There're a couple of great ones offered at mine, and they take you though EVERYTHING, stick, mig, tig, welding for art, welding for structural, etc.
Awesome, all of the courses I have found at community colleges and technical schools, are semesters courses for either the fall or spring. Even a summer course would be really tight for me. I am pretty good with teaching myself stuff. For all the dirtbikes and quads I've owned since I was 16, I bought a Clymer shop manual, and I basically taught myself to re-build 2 strokes, and I've done probably 3 rebuilds now. I have also taught myself various other repairs, basket clutch, oil pumps, etc. If I grab a book I am pretty confident I can teach myself well enough, I just want to make sure I get off on the right foot. I don't want to pick up a stick Ac/DC welder, and then need to buy a mig or tig because it wont work for what I'm doing. I have heard a few people saying go with a Mig. A mig uses argon or helium gas correct? Also, they seem like a few more $$$. If I could get away with a stick welder, and have it be good for what I need it for, I would rather save the $$$ for my projects. Again thanks for the info, yotatech prevails once again. I guess my only question I have left, is
Should I spring for the mig over the stick, or will stick be fine for what I am doing?
A 220 outlet is not a problem, I have one in my garage. I was going to put in a hot tub that never materialized, so I ran a 220 volt line to my back patio, and one to my garage at the same time(in anticipation for a welder and a hot tub at the same time). So that would not be an issue. Thanks again,
Old 05-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Just talked to a buddy of mine, and he actaully found a 30 hour course at a local school over the summer for $875. Sounds decent to me, and he also said I would be much better off learning mig, which is what I figured. If you guys could let me know what you think, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 05-25-2006, 03:02 PM

Go find a manufacturing faclity and get some scrap metal. Then start playing. Have fun.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:16 AM

If it will be 2 summers before you can get into a class, you wont need it. You CAN learn to weld on your own. I started with a 110 flux core mig welder (no gas). I would however reccomend a 220 stick welder. I use a Lincoln, similar to the one found at lowes for about $220. I have a mig welder now, and rarely use it. Find some scrap metal, and buy several types and sizes of rod, and just start going to town. You can plug you welder into your dryer plug, prolly your stove plug too. We have some experienced welders around here, and you can always ask us questions. It's not as hard, or scary as most people think.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyModified
If it will be 2 summers before you can get into a class, you wont need it. You CAN learn to weld on your own. I started with a 110 flux core mig welder (no gas). I would however reccomend a 220 stick welder. I use a Lincoln, similar to the one found at lowes for about $220. I have a mig welder now, and rarely use it. Find some scrap metal, and buy several types and sizes of rod, and just start going to town. You can plug you welder into your dryer plug, prolly your stove plug too. We have some experienced welders around here, and you can always ask us questions. It's not as hard, or scary as most people think.
Nice, a class would be nice, but I doubt I will have time. Basically a stick welder will work fine for what I am doing right? Maybe some light fab, and just general repair. Like I said, I may end up building a bumper from the BruceTS kit, and I have various motor, suspension mounts on my quad and bike, and probably truck thatare cracked and need to be replaced. The general consensus seems to be toward a mig welder, but from what I see a stick welder is much cheaper, and a few people ahve told me it is a better all around welder. Thanks again for the info, and encouragement!

Also, if anyone could reccomend a good book, that would help, I'm probably gonna try to pick one up in a week or so, and go to town.

Last edited by JHupp; 05-26-2006 at 11:21 AM.