Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

New welder! Now I need a helmet around $50

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had this one for 8months without one single problem.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91212
Old 06-24-2006, 01:34 PM

yeah same i have but black.

-derek
Old 06-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I picked up a new helmet today...

Lincoln full face (big lens) flipper...$32 at LOWES

I needed another "spare" helmet and it was about time to retire the old Jackson...it is 20+ years old.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

I have a few. I use the HF flame auto.. works fine. My spare is a cheapo flip. and got a real cheapy Handheld for mobile welding.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

*UPDATE*

Helmet works awesome. Far better than that cheap auto-darkening unit from HF. I am getting better and better as I mess around more and more. I have been welding some 2.5" pipe together with flux core wire. I have a full cylinder of gas ready too!

Old 07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

Looks like a nice helmet and I dig the pattern.

First project you need to do is build a METAL welding table. Look on Lincoln's website under projects. A good table that will serve you well a long time and a great first welding/fabrication project for beginners. Cause sooner or later you keep welding on that wood and those plastic saw horses, you will ruin them both.

Second, get a welding hat to wear under your helmet cause it is only a matter of time before a spark catches your hair on fire or burns it. You WON'T enjoy it.

Third, weld with safety glasses on UNDER your lid and ear plugs, as the more you weld the more junk will fly under there and you DON'T want a hot spark in your eye or your ear. You'll dance in tongues if that happens. Not fun at ALL!

Happy welding!

Old 07-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Brian. I have all of those "extra" safety things you mentioned, yet failed to put them on because I didn't think they were necessary. I appreciate the tips and will be sure to wear them from here on out.

Yeah, I saw that welding table a while back when I was researching welders, etc. I am totally with you on that. In fact, I spent about 2 hours in Lowe's yesterday wandering around thinking about a table (one I could build or one I could buy), but left empty handed (except for $5 in sanding discs).

Thanks man. I figured if I posted that pic someone with experience would point some stuff out to me. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Thanks Brian. I have all of those "extra" safety things you mentioned, yet failed to put them on because I didn't think they were necessary. I appreciate the tips and will be sure to wear them from here on out.

Yeah, I saw that welding table a while back when I was researching welders, etc. I am totally with you on that. In fact, I spent about 2 hours in Lowe's yesterday wandering around thinking about a table (one I could build or one I could buy), but left empty handed (except for $5 in sanding discs).

Thanks man. I figured if I posted that pic someone with experience would point some stuff out to me. I really appreciate it.
Always better safe than sorry. Hot metal is very unforgiving. Make sure you have some fire exinguishers on hand as well.

Don't buy your metal from Lowe's...WAY OVER PRICED...find a local steel supplier...MUCH cheaper...or should be. I built my welding table in less than an afternoon...and it was fun too! If you want some more info on the table, email me and I can tell you what I did in making mine.

Get to using that MIG as well...it is SO much nicer to weld with than flux core...that stuff makes a mess. You can use the 0.025 wire and turn your speed up to about 7-8 and it'll cook like bacon w/ the MIG and weld just as good as the flux core if you bevel edges and prep the materials properly. For heavy duty stuff you are going to need a bigger welder regardless, but I use my Lincoln 135 for everything and don't really need a bigger welder right now. If I do, I go borrow one from FireTaco (Ernie).

This is a great book for 411 and you can get it cheap.
Welder's Handbook (Paperback)
by Richard Finch

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-08-2006 at 09:22 AM.