Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen, 2 more 3rd Gens: internal snorkel installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen, 2 more 3rd Gens: internal snorkel installed

Good Times (Lance), Nitro Hotpants (Casey), and I all got snorkelfied today. Big thanks to Bruce for all his help.

The design pretty much followed what Bruce did, see his thread here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=snorkel

I'll let them get into the details of the mod on their rigs, but here are some of my thoughts:

- I had to switch the orientation of the power antenna within the fender. The motor assembly was pointed to the front of the truck, now to the rear.
- It's a tight fit.
- It's not terribly loud inside the cab now. When I step on the gas, it's noticible. When barely on the gas, it sounds like air hissing out of a tire, when really stepping on it, it sounds like the open deckplate mod roar x 5. I stuffed a rag in the snorkel opening from the airbox, and that muffled the sound noticibly .

My truck:

The Three Runners:

Old 11-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, those look awesome!
I really need to try something like this on mine.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

With the way the weather was yesterday and Casey's hard night of partying, I wasn't too sure if we'd get all 3 rigs finished today.

I leave a rag stuffed in my snorkel, with the deckplate out for DD, then uncork and install the deckplate plug for offroading.

Things went a lot smoother than expected, considering we got a late start, now ya'll can have fun splashing through those water puddles now!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Chuck,
When I saw the title I KNEW it was Lance!
great work, I remember that thread-- really ingenious.

I wonder if you can do a little solenoid door mod or something where it opens/closes with the push of a button (like a vent--fresh/recirc). A rag stuffed in is so...unchique

anyway very cool. Look forward to more pics!
Old 11-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

I love this pic. Looks like a couple of drunk guys hanging out without their clothes on
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Those will come in handy here in the So Cal desert
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

I thought there was room in there for a 4th-gen snorkle. Good to see someone go for it. Figures it was Lance as he's been out in front on nearly everything.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

it's a good mod that's cheap and also hidden none of that visible snorkel either! btw, you can definitely hear the intake from the inside of the cab but it sounds kinda cool gets abit loud when you floor it though but it's one way to control that lead foot!!
Old 11-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

A few questions about your 4th-gen, if you don't mind.

1. Have you noticed any decrease in performance?
2. Is there some type of DD/off-road bypass valve or deckplate or something else that switches between the snorkle and a more direct intake?
3. Does it come out in the cab? It looks like it might be right under the glove box?

I'll definately be doing that mod. Hats off to whoever came up with it.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by kickaha
Chris Geiger was the first I saw to do it but I think he got the idea from someone else, not sure...

Either way, much better than the fugly ARB ones, YUCK!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure where this system first originated but I first saw it on 4x4wire's site with a 2nd gen doing a similar mod (but his mod went back into the bay). So this version is no different but effective and cheap. (did i mention cheap!?)

Added performance? Not sure but atleast I don't have to worry about sucking up water which is all I care. The problem is that I've taken my entire inner fender so that meant that the intake had free access to all the water so this was going to be a problem. It was a matter of time that i would either hydrolock the motor or get this mod done. luckily Bruce already did the mod first so it was easier to do w/ someone that has done it before watching over me.

I haven't done the deckplate mod as my 2nd battery is sitting up against the intake box so i won't be doing it. Which means this setup is fulltime and won't be coming off. I'm not looking to race or anything so this will work fine and will be better for me as it won't suck up dust

for the 4th gen, the hole goes up to the ecu location so making sure to seal up the hole is critical as you don't want to fry anything.

and i'm w/ sean, that arb one is fugly! might look cool but i kinda like the sleeper look too!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:41 PM

That look awesome guys! Is a write-up coming on this one?
Old 11-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

I thought there might be a decrease in performance (not an increase) because of the extra long tubing. But since you haven't noticed anything, probably not. Maybe the extra noise makes it seem faster?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Good Times
might look cool but i kinda like the sleeper look too!
Ummm...sleeper look? And here I thought all 4th gens came with 33" MTRs, sliders, suspension lift, body lift, a huge rear bumper with tire and hilift carrier and a huge front bumper with winch.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kickaha
A few questions about your 4th-gen, if you don't mind.

1. Have you noticed any decrease in performance?
2. Is there some type of DD/off-road bypass valve or deckplate or something else that switches between the snorkle and a more direct intake?
3. Does it come out in the cab? It looks like it might be right under the glove box?

This snorkel design, shouldn't affect performance in any way, in fact on the 3rd gens it actually helps air flow and the performance gains is like doing the deckplate mod.

I've been pondering the idea of installing a butterfly valve to switch it on and off, but I've been too busy to fabricate it. So far the rag has held up quite well

The intake is inside the cab, so there will be an increased amount of noise, but for offroading you don't even notice.

I got the idea from seeing a few 2nd gen http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/snorkel/ home made systems, but all of theirs had the intake going to the fresh air vent outside the cab. I'm not sure how Chris did his design, I don't think I've seen that one.

Here's my original post on the system;
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/10-snorkel-system-25167/

Last edited by BruceTS; 11-29-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Very cool fellas! I think if I ever do that I'll go for the periscope mod and get the ARB!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
I got the idea from seeing a few 2nd gen http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/snorkel/ home made systems, but all of theirs had the intake going to the fresh air vent outside the cab. I'm not sure how Chris did his design, I don't think I've seen that one.

Here's my original post on the system;
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25167
Bruce, Chris' snorkel was inspired by the maroon 2nd gen in the link Ryan T provided. Your's is the first I know of to draw air form the cab.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

well im posting a little late but here goes anyway...

i just wanna thank Bruce for helping us out, and Lance for practically doing most of the pipe work for me!
cutting that hole in the sheet metal is definitely no fun!

sorry i couldnt have made it there a little earlier, but u know how it is turning 21 the day before...

-Casey
Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Good job guys!! I am going to do this too!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good guys! I think if I want a snorkle I will have to do this since no one makes a passenger side snorkle for 2nd gens?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 4th Gen, 2 more 3rd Gens: internal snorkel installed