Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

High CPU usage

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High CPU usage

I have a curious thing: High, unexplaned CPU usage.

It happens with various "normal" programs, IEXPLORE, the Disc Cleanup tool, WINWORD, etc.

It seems like something is making these programs - which normally would run the CPU usage up maybe 20, 30% max - to usae all the CPU possible. It slows the computer down and makes it almost impossible to run other programs. Once I kill that process, the CPU will go back to normal...then whenever I run something else that takes a fair amount of processor power, it shoots to 100 again.

I'm running Win 2k on a 2.6Ghz non-hyperthreading machine.

Here are a couple of Taskmanager screenshots for ya. The "problem program" in this instance was the Disk Cleanup utility.

http://www.propichosting.com/Albums/421610809.html

Any ideas?

Last edited by Injohneer; 04-29-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
44 processes is a little high, i try to keep mine around 35... lookes like you have 1 or 2 spyware in that list. as for the programs running high... you done a spyware/virus cleanup?

with iexplorer, i have it hit 100% at odd times, if im playing some online games, always just assumed it to not like my mobile processor.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Would you mind pointing out the ones that you think are spyware? I have run Spybot several times the past few days (Version 1.2 , I can't install the current version without an admin password and it takes forever to get the tech department to come around...) as well as Hijack This, but nothing pops out there.

Most of the weird looking processes are work-related....I work in a company with a couple hundred other software engineers, and it takes a lot of small utilities that I don't understand to get all of the projects linked over the network (at least that's what the computer techs would tell me....)
You should see it when I'm actually running one of my the programs.

Last edited by Injohneer; 04-29-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Download Security Tash Manager ... it will tell exactly what all the processes are and what they are doing and whether any of them are dangerous......

Also there is a thread probably right below this one in the same forum called "Computer Running reall Slow" that guy had the same problem, and he found the problem and fixed it and explained what it was. Maybe if your lucky its something similar....
Old 04-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

What is cleanmgr.exe is that one of the progs that you need running
Old 04-30-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DudeBud
What is cleanmgr.exe is that one of the progs that you need running
cleanmgr.exe is to do with disk clean up...there was a hoax a while back saying it was somesort of virus, but symantec and norton both realized information saying that it was just a Hoax.....
Old 05-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
Download Security Tash Manager ... it will tell exactly what all the processes are and what they are doing and whether any of them are dangerous......

Also there is a thread probably right below this one in the same forum called "Computer Running reall Slow" that guy had the same problem, and he found the problem and fixed it and explained what it was. Maybe if your lucky its something similar....
Well...Security Task Manger didn't reveal anything bad. And there's nothing new running on the machine that I haven't run for the past year.
I don't have the same problem as was in the other thread because I don't have their anti-virus software, but I wonder if it could be the same type of problem with Mcafee.

I did run Lavasoft's AdAware and after cleaning a bunch of old (dormant) junk, it didn't run any better.

Oh well. I submitted a help desk request here at work. We'll see what they find.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the computer tech ran a few antivirus scans, added more microsoft junk (WHY oh WHY did I ever ask them for help???) and said he couldn't figure anything else out either. He said to just ask for a rebuild.

The place I work makes aircraft simulators. We buid a full cockpit and then simulate everything that the pilot can see and feel. You can even get level D certification in one of our sims - certification to fly under any conditions without ever having touched the plane.
That's what I ususally write code for. Then there is the desktop version, which just displays images of the cockpit and animates those. These use the full flight source code to drive the images, which greatly increases the code. My computer's just not built to handle it all, which is probably why I'm running into problems.

At any rate, I thought I would show you all, just for kicks, what it really looks like when I have my computer loaded down. Here's a screenshot of the taskmanager right after I brought simulation down. Running simulation means 150+ processes running at once.

Think I should ask for a new computer?

Old 05-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I run the ESPN Poker software it has a tendency to use 100% of the CPU at times. They said it is because of the info updating every 1/2sec. I have done alot of things to try and figure out what was going on until they came back and said it was the software doing it and they were working on a fix.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, a poker game running at 2 Hz? I don't know how much code is behind that, but I have probably 200-250 or 300 modules running anywhere from 5 to 20 Hz...
Old 05-03-2005, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Injohneer
Wow, a poker game running at 2 Hz? I don't know how much code is behind that, but I have probably 200-250 or 300 modules running anywhere from 5 to 20 Hz...
yeah it is really bad. Locks everything up. You should see the message board over on espn, lots of unhappy people. Especially since their system requirments are low for the software. I'm running a 2.93Ghz P4 with 512mb ram on a cable connection. I can't imagine the guys trying to play it with a 200mhz and dailup.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:26 AM

Why don't you do the clean up disk yourself. All cleanmgr.exe does is delete files from the following:

Temporary Internet Files
Temporary Setup Files
Downloaded Program Files
Old Chkdsk Files
Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Temporary Offline Files
Offline Files

And how often does this run? Not everyday I hope.

As for the mcshield.exe, you can schedule McAfee VirusScan to run when you are not using the computer. Maybe have it scan at 4am.

kev
Old 05-07-2005, 12:07 AM
WT

I have a curious thing: High, unexplaned CPU usage.

It happens with various "normal" programs, IEXPLORE, the Disc Cleanup tool, WINWORD, etc.

It seems like something is making these programs - which normally would run the CPU usage up maybe 20, 30% max - to usae all the CPU possible. It slows the computer down and makes it almost impossible to run other programs. Once I kill that process, the CPU will go back to normal...then whenever I run something else that takes a fair amount of processor power, it shoots to 100 again.

I'm running Win 2k on a 2.6Ghz non-hyperthreading machine.

Here are a couple of Taskmanager screenshots for ya. The "problem program" in this instance was the Disk Cleanup utility.

http://www.propichosting.com/Albums/421610809.html

Any ideas?
I was going to ask is this a corporate PC but seems like you answered that question as a yes cause I notice the corporate version of Mcafee running and what they call there managment agent EPO for managing the setting in Mcafee. I do have a question for you did this all of a sudden start to spike and if so are anyone else you work with notice the same thing cause it could be due to a change they made on the backend with EPO program to make Mcafee scan more files and now spiking the CPU when files are being scanned as you open them depending on your application. What you may want to do temporarly is when you notice the spike right click on your Vshield icon and disable the on demand scanning and if they actually have EPO set up corectly it should restart it self in a few minuites but atleast then you can call you IT department and ask them to fix there settings with Mcafee. Also out of curiosity what version are they running at your office ? (right click Vshield and click about) I recall a few buggy problems with a certain version and certain scan engine version plus you should notice the DAT files up to date thats is something else EPO does make sure all PC are on current definition files to help protect the PC. Okay enough about Mcafee... I am sure I bored everyone enough already.
Good luck with your problem.
Oh forgot to say I bet if this is your problem you will see Mcafee maxed out at 100% or so when your seeing the slowdown in task manager.

Last edited by WT; 05-07-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:47 AM

any chance you could get a screen shot of your startup and services screen on msconfig?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Problem solved - got a different machine.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Cool

Problem solved - got a different machine.
Ha! - Yeah...Eight months later!!
Sounds like my old job.
I would only get a 'new' computer when engineering got new CPU's and passed the old ones down to production.
But thats how it works!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
Ha! - Yeah...Eight months later!!
Sounds like my old job.
I would only get a 'new' computer when engineering got new CPU's and passed the old ones down to production.
But thats how it works!
Wow when did you quit working for my company? LOL