Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Adobe Flash Player, Install Error....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Adobe Flash Player, Install Error....

Actually, it WILL NOT install...

First, since I know it's needed;

System;

Hewlitt-Packard Company - Compaq Presario
Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1)
AMD Sempron Processor LE-1300 2.3Ghz
2.0 Gig RAM(1.75 Gigs Usable)
500Gig HD (???)

Guys, ... I've about had it with this freak'n Adobe Flash Player over the past year.......

Just to give a clear picture.... I AM IN NO WAY 'great with computers'.. But I'm usually able to figure things out. My sister has problems, I can usually go over and get her system up again/or inform her that her daughters have downloaded something REALLY destructive... etc. But THIS HAS ME BEAT;

I USE FIREFOX, first off... Have for years.... Seemed to have this problem with Chrome and IE8 as well;

I get to a page, like Photobucket, months ago... "Adobe Flash Player 10 at least is required".... Etc. I go TO get.adobe/flashplayer, blah blah... Official site, download the player, ..... Save, .... Go to run it and "Only a single instance of this application can run"... error.

I've been to Bleeping Computer, Major Geek and I'll be back there shortly... But figured I'd throw this out there.. .I've not heard anything on here, really, about this problem... but when I type it in, HOLY CRAPOLI... it's pretty thick with threads on this. Even in Adobe, the usual answers of "Well maybe it's your hardware" , etc... and PEOPLE WHO SEEM MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN MYSELF ARE TIIIIIIIIIIICKED OFFFFFFFFF! lol.

* I've gone into tools/options in Firefox and "Enabled Java Script Updater" or whatever they asked.... clicked OK, closed, reopened and still, nothing.

* I've downloaded the 'Adobe Flash Uninstaller' from Adobe Techs advice. Then tried to download and RUN the program... And even then, like every other time, this is what happens;

...... When I click 'RUN'.... I get the lil swirly "WE'RE WORKING ON IT" icon where my cursor is.... flashes on and off a few times like that, swirling away... THEN NOTHING! It NEVER OPENS or walks me through the install.

...... THENNNNN, when I go to try it again, after that, even if I've 'uninstalled from my computers control panel, etc.'... IT ALWAYS says, "Only a single instance of this application can run'....

It's not worked in AGES! Not right anyway. It slows EVERYTHING down! Now, since I've uninstalled it.... It wont let me use the normal uploader in Photobucket... I can't see LOTS of videos I know ppl are posting...

Guys.... I've literally come to that "Stand back, Mark... PUT DOWN THE BAT!" mode again, ...and that's just NOT me. I don't let horrible people destroy my joy.... let alone INANIMATE OBJECTS! lol...

PLEASE, HELP, AND do so in a way that I can understand? That means, "Mark..... Open ONLY "SO and SO" window with firefox and 'yadda yadda', then 'blah blah', and click 'thingymadoer', .... then click save, then CLOSE IT, don't open it or click run, then..........." .... Like that? Maybe I'm not getting the instructions right, but I SWEAR I've tried to do EVERYTHING they've asked... And it WILL NOT update! (and as I said, now I don't have it at all....)

I'm going to try Chrome and see if I can fish around on PB or Youtube or maybe even update Flashplayer.... But I SWEAR I'VE READ 20 different articles by IT PROFESSIONALS that are MOCKING Adobe for their TERRIBLE transition into the latest flash players... And that they've even said "The newest version of flash IS A VIRUS"... That the virus was MASSIVE, not horribly destructive to operating systems, but that ADOBE THEMSELVES accidentally loaded this virus into that program that they put out there.... and MILLIONS of people have downloaded it and now are VERYYYYYYYY slow and hanging in Firefox and Chrome, etc., etc.....

ANY-HELP-APPRECIATED, HUGELY, YOTATECH-.....techs! lol.

thanks, in advance, .... I mean it!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM

PLEEEEEASE? lol.... JK, but I know, ..... I'm a Chef, and while I still love cooking... I HATE when people are entitled and act as though "Hey, Chef's here.... now we don't have to cook".... How freak'n rude, right? hahaha.

So being someone who knows 'IT'.... I'm sure it's not fun.......

JUST A LIL update;

Running Chrome..... it all works, posting pics, etc. BUT, I still seem to have some issues on occasion with 'speed'. This thing is SLOW at times.

Anyway, I PREFER Firefox... just so used to it.. And have around 300 Bookmarks I use, etc., etc. lol. It still works.. but I use SO MUCH Photobucket and such that requires Flashplayer.....

I don't seem to have this problem on my Toshiba Laptop with Vista.... not a super model, but decent for what it is.. and it's ALWAYS fast. I know I have WAY more files on this PC.. but, .......Something's wonky.

BTW.... I know there's some issue with Silverlight and Flash/maybe Firefox? Couldn't watch my Netflix without it, I don't think..... So just wanted to throw that out there.

Anyway, I'm just trying to find a way to DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL FLASH PLAYER.... Any help, I mean it... I'D BE SO grateful, folks!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chef, I'm guessing this is the help you found?
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...r-windows.html

Wonder if this helps?
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html

Last edited by rworegon; 09-12-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Wudup, RW? .....

Yeah, the first one.... Haven't seen the second, but it's for Internet Explorer, no? I'll read through it more in depth when I can sit down.... Thanks VERY much for giving me a nugget
Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Well, I just went through another hour and a half of this crap, ... to no avail.

1. I did find some discussion that noted several people having issues installing it/not even finishing installing, etc./ due to not having Shockwave-Flash? Whatever... didn't work. I did that, after uninstalling EVERYTHING(unless I'm missing it somewhere in here).. and STILL "Only a single instance of this application can run"......... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGLESTICKS!

2. I did all the Java Script Enabled crap

3. I restarted browser

4. Turned off active shields in avast for an hour then did what they instructed, in full

5. ADOBE IS A HIGH BOY STACK OF COW PATTY AND MOTOR OIL FLAPJACKHOLES! ... ok, feel better... lol.

6. I found like 20 versions of things that might be the problem in my recycle bin... Dumped it, NOTHING

7. When I click 'RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN'.... nothing happensssss! Until I click it again.... Then I get "only a single instance", blah blah...

Just days ago, I remember my firefox saying, "The Flashplayer has crashed", and "Send crash report"..... I did that 20 times.. Then went through EVERY PAGE I CAN FIND, GUYS!!!!!!!!! I'm just lost at this point. Ready to take it in to a tech guy I know...it just could take a while as he's really busy.

Anyone else have a thought on this? Very much would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Firefox specific:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...h-mozilla.html

Frustrating, I know. Hang in there...you'll get it.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM

I went to the end of that second link.... got to the installer... then a warning popped up, "Flash Player installer will automatically complete when you close the following incompatible programs">>>> firefox "............. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Honestly? I'm ready to put my truck budget/a portion/toward a professional to just deal with this. Avast seems to catch EVERYTHING(I have the pay version.... I KNOW, the free one is fine... I just went by advice of an IT tech I know and I'm happy to pay for it and Malwarebytes, both... )

I had TONES of problems with McAfee ......uninstalled it, BARELY, and there are STILL spots of it in my computer! (McAfee Uninstaller).... And when I look at my browser in Firefox, I see a lil mcafee "Secure Search" window on the right.... Maybe that's part of Firefox, not sure,...but I DID NOT click on "install mcafee browser".... NO WAY, ..>I unclick EVERYTHING that ANYTHING offers in the way of browsers... That's the whole point of firefox! lol... if I want the news, ...I'LL OPEN MY FAVORITE NEWS! lol. (try to tell my sister that, to dump MSN as her home page... REALLY slows things down, etc.. But she wont listen, so meh! lol)..........

Anyway, I just tried to load it... from that link you shot me... Don't seem to have it still. I opened Photobucket and I still can't click on IMG and automatically copy.... Gonna try to post a pic the way I RESET PHOTOBUCKET just now...

It might have worked.... let's see.......... (BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN the Flash player is there... I have to get to a video on cyberhorn the dragons page and see if it's still flashing me the "Plug ins are needed" thingy, lol.... BRB.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 PM

Ok, so suddenly, the "Missing Plug ins, click here to install them to see all on this page" thing popped up here in Yotatech.... I did that, and it seemingly works on Firefox now... It loaded and everything... I guess the uninstaller worked when I did, restarted, then installed the flash right from the 'firefox browser pop up prompter'.... OH MANNNNNNNNN ... MY FOREHEAD IS BLEEDING FROM SO MANY FACEPALMS! hahahahaha. (I also went to that second link you showed and installed the former version... Then installed the newest version when it promted... But as I said, it wouldn't notify me of any further action.... Then when coming here, as I mentioned, it prompted me and then worked?????????????????)

BUT, ... photobucket? I still can't click on an IMG code and 'autocopy' it WHAT HAPPENED? I don't see any alerts for Adobe Flash Player on PB.... even when I upload, it's allowing me, now, once again, to upload multiple files at once.... I guess I don't understand why it suddenly stopped allowing me to "COPY" with a single click on the IMG...

AND; In Photobucket... I never changed anything regarding my preferences or direct IMG one click links... So, .......anyone know how I can change that back?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 PM

PS> If you want to know what version you have of Adobe Flash Player..... click this link and it will tell you.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_15507

NOW, oddly, when I click it, I see the ball rolling back and forth... So CHECK, I have Adobe Flash Player.......

Then, when I go to step 2... it shows what version I have...........

Flash Version ; 11.4.402.265
Your OS ........ ; Windows 7 (64-bit)
Your Browser..; Mozilla Firefox

Below that in step 3. It lists the latest versions........

Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit), Vista, XP, 2008, 2003 ; 11.4.402.265

........... And yet, while my "One Click Copy" worked FLAWLESSLY for months... Around the time Flash Player 10 Came about.... TONS of problems... And Photobucket had to scramble to fix it.... Which took a LOT of work, from what I've read... And then ended up with 10.3 eventually to fix it.........

OK, NOW; Another important note, which MOST HERE probably know...but I'LL MENTION IT ANYWAY, .....

"Google Chrome has it's own Adobe Flash Player Plug in already installed"... And, subsequently.... the flash plug in on Google Chrome that supports "ONE CLICK COPY" on Photobucket.... IMHO A VERY GROOVY FEATURE.... Yep..it works.

So; WHY DOES 'CHROME's version work... yet clearly in Firefox I have the latest Version of Adobe Flash Player now... And yet it wont work? HOW MUCH you wanna bet that there's another SERIOUS bug with Adobe Flash Player... and you'll get the normal 400 broken record talking points responses from them in the message boards.... i mean, I told them 40 TIMES, "I ALREADY DID THIS, THIS AND THIS".... yet they suggested it might not have been done right on 'THIS' particular one... So I copy and pasted with 'screen prt', etc., etc... it just went on and on.. Til finally someone came on and said, "HEY, THE GUY IS NOT A GURU, CLEARLY....BUT HE'S FOLLOWED EVERY INSTRUCTION... yet still you have an issue! Macromedia flash player is SERIOUSLY FLAWED, just admit it, fix it, then tell us "We're sorry", ...and 99% OF US WOULD BE FINE WITH THAT! Inconvenienced... but hey, it's something we need for certain sites and we'll be glad that someone is at least HONEST ENOUGH to say, 'Man, we're really sorry... our product update this cycle went bad.... it's JUST A BUG, and we'll get it... but you may have problems... We'll release an updated message asap at 'this link',.... Thank you for your patience'... SO MANY SOFTWARE PROVIDERS DO SO...and they get props for it, regardless of the PITA they cause... YET... YOU, ADOBE, ALWAYS having issues with Flash player... and what do I get, every time? ....>>> "Maybe it's your hardware/media card"??????????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? DUDE... Chef, 5 months of this and you've NEVER got an apology?"..... I said no, but I added that I HAVE tried to do everything they've asked... I also tried other sites like Bleeping computer and Cnet and so on... Nothing worked. I realize it's Firefox in a way, too...Because it's been HANGING LIKE CRAZY FOR MONTHS! Off and on, but still, its' VERY annoying to have to close and reload firefox all the time. And then again, Google Chrome often hangs on me as well. The longer I leave a browser on.... the worse it gets. But especially on sites where Flash Player is needed and ESPECIALLY on Photobucket/Yotatech and sometimes Yahoo Mail... NOT USUALLY... but sometimes, that's slow too, the latter."...... it went back and forth a bit.. Then I just realized... I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS! hahaha...

Here's an older discussion on "Photobucket one click isn't working"... Which led to the conclusion that that version, Flash 10, was not working...

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5479.0

OH, and this one is interesting... I'd heard this, VERY recently(on here maybe? ).... but didn't give it much thought.......

Mozilla’s Shumway project replaces Flash player with a virtual machine
Jun. 5, 2012 (2:59 pm) By: Matthew Humphries

There is a growing feeling among web developers and users alike that Flash is on its way out and will be replaced by rich content created using HTML5. That’s a safe bet to make, but it does mean we are in for a potentially difficult transition period where Flash content is still in use, but no one really wants to install the Flash player anymore.

Mozilla has a solution in the works, though. It is a project called Shumway, and aims to build “a faithful and efficient renderer for the SWF file format.” The desired end result is a general-purpose platform for running Flash media constructed entirely from web standards.

To achieve that goal, Mozilla is using JavaScript to create a Flash virtual machine. It should be able to take any .SWF file and run it in a HTML5-compliant browser just like the Flash player would. Only, you no longer need that plug-in and Flash developers can continue to have their content run. Depending on how well it works, it may even see Flash development remain viable for a few years after Flash really has been killed off as a browser plug-in.

The Shumway project is only a few months old, but builds on an earlier project called Gordon that consisted of an open source Flash runtime written in JavaScript.

There’s very little detail beyond a collection of files hosted on GitHub, but development seems to be progressing. Eventually it may end up forming part of Firefox, in which case Mozilla will be able to claim Flash compatibility as standard without any collaboration necessary with Adobe.

Shumway seems to offer a much cleaner solution than what Microsoft has opted for when making Internet Explorer 10 Flash-compatible. It should also bypass any of the security issues the Flash player suffers from in the future because there is no Adobe code being run in order to render the content.

If you’re wondering about the choice of names, Gordon Shumway may be well known to anyone upwards of 30. He’s an alien from the planet Melmac and star of the TV show ALF that ran in the late 80′s.

Sorry, not meaning to go on...but I might as well learn something while I'm TOTALLY INCONVENIENCED, right? hahaha........ Plus, I wanna be prepared and start learning a lil bit more. Maybe I'll just get a Mac and use it for certain things? hahaha.... Hey, CL has em all the time, right? lol. OR< I could get a "Mac Cube" ???? Not sure that cube is worth a dang, to be honest, lol.... Just remembered that my sister has it.. And everything is tied to her iphones and such now.... And they have less virus problems..>???( 2 teen daughters... OH yeah.... they have wrought HAVOC! lol)
Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 50r
Did you read the requirements carefully?
First, I have to ask.... "What is 50r Standing for?".........

Second, my fleshy side wants me to ask, ... "are you serious?".... lol.... But I could be missing what you mean, 50r.... Please, explain? Requirements for USING that program? It's used in almost every computer with Windows on the planet.... I already explained that I went through every available online facet of "Self Help" and "Adobe Help" and "bleepingcomputers.com" and "so on and so forth.com" lol..... If you have something that might help another person who's experienced issues with Adobe Flash Player/'nt!, PLEASE, share them, as, well, when I did some searching while having these issues.... I found around 100,000,000 HITS! lol.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Wouldn't expect much out of this new user chef he has been plastering the new posts under the computer section all morning with what seems like nonsense.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Wouldn't expect much out of this new user chef he has been plastering the new posts under the computer section all morning with what seems like nonsense.
Yeah, I could have sworn I saw Wabbit delete something and call them a 'whoring spammer', ahhaha.... BUT, .. I could be wrong. Sometimes, spammers just keep posting in hopes that someone will click the link in their sig...... ^^^???????/ No clue, no time or energy to guess.. BUT, if they have something I could use, next time, I'M DOWN to receive it, even a 'rebuking', Discombobulated, as most who know me would say, hahaha... HEY, I don't mind getting smacked on.... just as long as I'm learning something, ya know? ESPECIALLY computer stuff .......... As it makes me wanna stab myself in the eyes with a pencil! hehe.