GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Cobra 75 WXST Setup Qs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra 75 WXST Setup Qs

I'm looking at a Cobra 75 WXST for my Taco. For various reasons I don't want a full blow CB deck in my truck right now and this seems to be the way to go for my purposes.

However, I'm new to CB. I know you push the button you talk and you can change channels and get weather reports. Installing is another matter.

I went down to Fry's today to get something and had a walk down the CB isle. There's a lot of stuff!

I know I need the CB unit, some kind of cable to run to the antenna and an antenna.

Cna someone help me put together a list of parts necessary to get the job done? I mostly will use it for the trails 95% of the time I'm pretty sure. So it's not something that has to be permanent but I wouldn't mind if it was as long as I can manage to install it really nice and clean.

I was thinking what if I ordered the Toyota antenna mount and put it on the driver's side to match the passenger side one and put a CB antenna off of that? That would be a clean install to me.

Anything will help!

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Go to www.firestick.com, they have all the info you'll need. Also, try a search here, there's a wealth of info on this site.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
darx,

both tdiddy, myself and waskillywabbit have writeups on the cobra 75. tdiddy and my writeups are in the tech section or you can find mine at http://www.4runners.org/articles/cobra . waskilly's is on his website.

bob
Old 07-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Looking for a clean install:
http://home.earthlink.net/~grillmast...ges/Tacoma/CB/

I mounted the 75wxst remote box above the SRS computer (behind the ashtray/12volt cig console)
You can get the Cobra 75 wx st for 93 shipped from Amazon.com

If you are wondering- my Firestik II is mounted to my toolbox in the bed-
I just used a piece of 1/4 aluminum flatbar. Firestik also sells a pretty complete antenna kit that should be available at most truck stops.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
darx,

both tdiddy, myself and waskillywabbit have writeups on the cobra 75. tdiddy and my writeups are in the tech section or you can find mine at http://www.4runners.org/articles/cobra . waskilly's is on his website.

bob
I did the same basic thing as Bob and Tom, yet I mounted my 75 a tad different as seen in the pics on the link below.
http://www.drawhorn.org/cobra_75_cb_...ary_fuse_b.htm

Old 07-30-2004, 01:53 PM

yeah, the way brian mounted his is probably the cleanest way. i'll probably do that sometime in the future (props to brian)

bob
Old 07-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I did the same basic thing as Bob and Tom, yet I mounted my 75 a tad different as seen in the pics on the link below.
Very nice! I'll have to see if I have a spot in the Taco for a mount like that. I believe I have a spare plug area next to the two 12-volt plugs that might work for that.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:05 PM

check out the following link
http://www.nowwgasa.net/CBradio.htm
a very clean install for a Tacoma if you ask me
note, truck in link is NOT mine
Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98madman
That's a good one too. A good use for that storage area since mine is basically empty all the time.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:09 AM
Contributing Member

I got the 75 with the firestick II. The firestick came with the cable all the cable you will need. I mounted mine on the back end and routed my wire along the bottom with all the stock factory wires. I have had it on since Jan. and have had no problems. I feel it is a great set up.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I stuck mine behind the driver's side kick panel, above the factory cruise control module. Mic is mounted to the front lip of the dash above the gas gauge. 18' of coax and a rear mounted Firestik-II antenna (48") on a stiff spring and mount.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 98madman
so the 75 is all self contained and there isnt a seperate box? I like that makes for a simple install
Old 08-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

There is a small electronics module. I mounted mine behind the driver's side kick panel, above the cruise control module:

I mounted the mic (which has the rest of the electronics) up on the dash:

Didn't have to drill any holes.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

18' the magic number?

Okay, I have the CB mounted where I want it. I followed this write-up to keep it all hidden away since it's not an everyday use type thing for me.

I'm about to order the parts for the other end of the setup and am looking at getting a FirestikII 3' black antenna, the Firestik channel mount kit which includes their coax with ring/PL connectors and a quick disconnect. I've decided to mount it on the driver's side at about the same place the AM/FM antenna is on the other side. Hopefully the channel mount will work and wont obstruct the hood. I did some measurements and it looks like it will work "in theory".

Do I really need 18' of coax? I could easily get by with less length but I do remmeber reading that that's an optimal length for a CB setup. I really don't want to stuff 18' of cable under my carpet but if it really does matter then I'll go for it. Just looking for some real world advice on this part of the setup.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

You can run a shorter cable if needed. Length is mainly a factor if you are running dual, phased antennas. Otherwise, get the length you need. I run 18' in my '85 4Runner, but the antenna is in back and I need most of that 18' to reach there.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

I went ahead and got the FireWire 18' coax that has the "FireRing" on the antenna end and nothing on the CB end. That came in handy as I pushed it through a plug above the gas pedal area that wasn't used for anything. Perfect spot too. I just hope the coax doesn't get too hot and burn up. It's not too close to the headers but they are about a foot plus away.

I guess we'll see if I need to buy a new cable here soon.

I used a channel mount on mthe drivers side hood as far back to the glass as I could get it without rubbing. I ran the cable from there through a couple hols in the engine compartment to keep it away from things then along the top of the firewall using clips that are there for other things to help hold it in place then down through the above mentioned unused rubber plug. I made an "X" in the plug to get the coac through but in hindsight I should have just made a small enough hole to provide a better seal. I suppose I can get some silicon to patch the tiny gaps in the "X" or get a new rubber plug and make the hole instead.

I haven't hooked up the other connector yet as I am trying to figure out where to get power from. I've never done elctrical stuff in cars. SOmeone mentioned running straight to the battery but I don't think I want to do that. I like the idea of somehow hooking into the accessory fuse but don't know how to do that. But at least I got it going! NOt bad for a first timer if I do say so myself.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Finally got it all done. Ended up getting power by hooking the +/- wires from the CB to one of power outlet wires to run things via a cigarette adapter. Ended up just crimping them into the sockets along with the power outlet wires and touching that with some solder.

I get some slight engine noise while driving but it doesn't really bother me. I haven't transmitted yet as I haven't tuned the antenna but I'm picking up all kinds of traffic as far south of me as Tijuana. Weather channel based out of San Diego comes in crystal clear too, channel 4.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTT -

I'm looking at the 75 for my JGC. I like the hide away feature with all the "stuff" in the handset. Brian - did you fab that "bulkhead" mount for the mic cable connection? I want the same deal so I can remove it and squirrel it away when not in use.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

External Speaker

Installed my external speaker in the rear of the truck between the two jump seats in the extra cab today. I pulled off the back then from there removed the piece that holds the set belt buckles. Notched the top, bottom, and inards so a cable could be run through there and still mount the buckle holder flush to the back piece.

I simply used Velcro bran velcro to hold the speaker in place. If that wont hold it offroad, it holds other things for me offroad just fine, I'll add the mount to it and mount it to the back piece that way. Sounds good and gets loud with strong signals so should work very well for offfroading trips.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:41 PM

matt,

where did you tap the wires into the cobra 75wx to make the external speaker work? pic would be great

bob

Quick Reply: Cobra 75 WXST Setup Qs