Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

XM Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Satellite Radio

I was just in a friends car that has xm radio. Satellite Radio is awesome! So now Im planning on getting one for my truck, but I just want to know my options. I am planning on getting either the oem nav or the oem 6 disk in dash changer in the future, not an aftermarket headunit. If at all possible I would not want an FM modulator, as every one I have used sucked. What are my options? Thanks any help would be great!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeup, it's great stuff.

Doing a search here for "XM Radio" popped up a lot of info... you may wanna start there.

The FM modulator route isn't all that bad, though stick with the one from Delphi, I've had hiss problems with others.

I know you said you didn't want to, but for the best audio quality, you're looking for a new head unit that's "XM Ready". That means the display can handle the XM text and that it will hookup to a XM tuner. Going this route will remove impedence and capacitance mistmatch issues which can cause audio problems.

The downside of a new headunit is that the displays are usually squished or just one line. If you like looking at a lot of info all at once, then the SkyFi or Roady units are the way to go. There are line-level harness kits available from Blitzsafe and PIE which may be able to hook into your present head unit.

MyRadioStore is a decent place to shop and see what your options are.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

search button, lol. Thanks for your help, im gonna take a look at that website. I guess my only options for stock look, with xm are the OEM Nav unit, or the fm modulator.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Mark, have you (or anyone you know) tried the home tuner made by Polk Audio? AFAIK that's the only one on the market right now. I'm keeping my eye out for other companies to release something similar. I keep thinking someone like Yamaha Onkyo, Denon etc. will release a HT receiver that is satellite ready.

Sorry for the hijack - I can make this another thread if need be.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Mark, have you (or anyone you know) tried the home tuner made by Polk Audio? AFAIK that's the only one on the market right now. I'm keeping my eye out for other companies to release something similar. I keep thinking someone like Yamaha Onkyo, Denon etc. will release a HT receiver that is satellite ready.

Sorry for the hijack - I can make this another thread if need be.
Ehh. I think we can let a Super Mod have a message or two!

I haven't tried any of the home systems, but remember, outside of the quality of the DACs, you're really locked into the stream quality.

DACs can make a world of difference, but in this case, even "cheap" DACs will be fine to handle the decode. The reports are widespread, but it's generally thought that XM's music streams are around 70kbps (it's actually probably a variable bit rate), at 14 bit - we know it's pretty compressed. Some music stations run more compression/less bit rate than others, and the talk stations are VERY compressed and running around 32kbps. The best sounding music stations tend to be the electronic stations, then rock, then pop, country and gospel. There may be some high emphasis going on on the receiver side to make up the high end on the lower bitrate stations.

If it's any indication, XM Online (the web stream) is user selectable at 32kbps or 64kbps.

That's not to say that "it doesn't sound good", it sounds great, a LOT better than FM. But it's less than CD quality, probably best compared to MP3 at a straight 96kbps.

All that said... there are a couple of options outside of the home players. The XMPCR still shows up on eBay (this is the discontinued standalone receiver that's controlled by a Windows app), then there are common hacks to take an XM car receiver and control it from a Windows app, and there are hacks to get a pure digital out from the Delphi SkyFi receiver. Lotso info on this stuff at the XM Fan website,

Originally Posted by dibble9102
I guess my only options for stock look, with xm are the OEM Nav unit, or the fm modulator.
If you're really locked into a head unit with a stock look, then yeah, your options will be limited.

Does the head unit you have now support an external CD player/changer? (it's been a LONG time since I've looked at a stock head unit!). If so, then check out those links for the Blitzsafe and PIE adapaters in my previous message. They will give you LINE inputs in place of an external changer. From there, you can run a SkyFi, SkyFi II, Roady, Roady 2 receiver head right into your head unit.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, I do have the cd changer port, so I would probably get the Blitzsafe adapter. Im not completely closed minded of an aftermarket head unit, I just dont want something that will light up my entire car, hahaha. I will probably just stay with the stock radio, as the add on units have better screens than the aftermarket headunits, and I do not want to spend the money on a new headunit.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
Yes, I do have the cd changer port, so I would probably get the Blitzsafe adapter. Im not completely closed minded of an aftermarket head unit, I just dont want something that will light up my entire car, hahaha. I will probably just stay with the stock radio, as the add on units have better screens than the aftermarket headunits, and I do not want to spend the money on a new headunit.
Gotcha'... and I agree that the new head units are dern butt ugly with all the lights and crap. My Sony Xplod is bad enough and it's 5+ years old!

And yeah, it sounds like your solution will be the Blitzsafe cable. It's a neat problem solver.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Contributing Member

The blitzsafe cable is good too if I ever want to upgrade to the OEM nav or six disk cd in dash cd changer, dont have to buy new satellite radio stuff.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

just a random stupid question, but with the cd changer connection, does the stock screen just keep on counting track time forever, until you change sources and back again?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
just a random stupid question, but with the cd changer connection, does the stock screen just keep on counting track time forever, until you change sources and back again?
Interesting question. I have a different interface for my Sony, but I think that the line level tap concept (PIE or Blitzsafe cable) just opens up the audio input. The track time display would be controlled by the changer, and since the changer/player isn't there, then it wouldn't show up.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

thats what i thought, because if the cd skips, it stays on that time, doesnt keep counting, therefore controlled by the changer. So i guess it would just show a blank screen? Anyone else?