Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Where do I get 12v 3+ amp constant on power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I get 12v 3+ amp constant on power?

Hey I've got a 2001 Sequoia, and am installing a Clarion DVD player in the rear.

The power lines are red 12v switched power, yellow 12v 3+ amp constant power, and black ground.

The yellow needs to be connected to a constant on power source to store the place on the DVD when the truck is turned off.

Does anyone know where I can hook into a 12v 3+ amp power supply, short of going to the battery?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if all else fails you could run a wire up to the constant wire coming off of the igntion harness. The wire will be BIG (10ga or so) and blue with a yellow stripe. MAKE SURE THAT IT IS PLUGGING INTO THE IGNITION WHERE YOUR KEY GOES AND THAT IT'S BIG. (Reason being there is a smaller wire about 18ga of the same color that is responsible for the windsheild washer fluid squirters....dont ask me how I know...lol)

Be sure to double check that it is 12v constant with a digital multimeter as well.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 PM

screw that...

do it right the first time. run a FUSED 10-12 gauge wire from the battery.

then run another wire from the radio. a switch source.

then run a relay to the rear where the dvd player is. split off the wire from battery into 2 leads. 1 is constant on and one is a switched one from the front.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
screw that...

do it right the first time. run a FUSED 10-12 gauge wire from the battery.

then run another wire from the radio. a switch source.

then run a relay to the rear where the dvd player is. split off the wire from battery into 2 leads. 1 is constant on and one is a switched one from the front.
So do tell me what poles on the relay do these various wires go to?

I ask because I suspect you dont know what you are talking about. My way IS the correct way and the industry standard. It's my job to do it the right way.

First off the DVD player (an overhead) is not going to draw a significant amount of current, nor voltage, so you do NOT need a 10 or 12ga wire. You can go look up the specs yourself... You CAN run an additional powerline, but to do so is pointless.

Secondarily minimal to no power is derived from the ACC circuit so a relay is not necessary either.

Thirdly it is assumed, and common knowledge, that you fuse EVERYTHING.

Fourthly since you felt the urge to nitpick about what I left out, here it is back atcha: you forgot to mention that, should one add a relay, that a diode needs to be placed across poles 85 and 86 of the relay to prevent a voltage spike as the magnetic field collapses when ACC power is dropped. You neglected to state that pole 30 is grounded along with 86 and that 85 goes to the ACC circuit. You also forgot to state that the DVD's acc wire is then connected to 87... You also forgot to state that you fuse the ACC circuit that you tap into.

Fifthly most overheads are setup to replace the dome light in the back, and to that end, tie into the wires that supplied the dome light with power and ground. He should be able to tie into constant there, if not then at the ignition harness is perfectly fine. And to that end I have yet to see toyota vehicle whose 12v constant line is not Blue/Yellow and about 10ga in size.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-01-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
go to the12volt.com and they have a wiring database engine. it will tell you the right wire colors to tap

bob
Old 03-02-2006, 09:38 AM

ummmm....

okay... step away from the fumes...
Old 03-02-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
ummmm....

okay... step away from the fumes...
You sir are the one who apparently is in the fumes a bit much... Think next time before posting. Cheers.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-02-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:30 PM

LOL. The whole time I thought he was talking to Bob
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM

Well thanks, I am glad people seem to know what they are talking about.

I am modifying an old audiovox setup. The screen is mounted in the ceiling. It spliced into the wiring there and ran another cable to the rear right where the VHS player was installed. The VHS player only needed the switched power so there was no constant power line. I can splice into the switched power there with both red and yellow and it works fine, but I want to do it correctly with the constant power.

I tried connecting to the rear dome light which always has constant power, but that didn't send enough power to light the DVD power off indicator. So I am assuming I need more power than the dome light circuit can provide. I don't know anything about this, and don't want to screw something up.

I'll try that wiring diagram.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:10 AM

I pulled the plug going into the ignition cylinder and examined it and none of the wires are blue with a yellow stripe? I also looked at the back of the dash fuse box.

Am I looking in the wrong place?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by whitt13
I pulled the plug going into the ignition cylinder and examined it and none of the wires are blue with a yellow stripe? I also looked at the back of the dash fuse box.

Am I looking in the wrong place?
On that molex there should be 9+ wires all about 10ga in size right?

Im going into work today so Ill do a little search and see if the color scheme is different for the 2001 Sequia. If it is different, this will be the first toyota Ive ever run across with the nonstandard wire colors....lol
Old 03-05-2006, 06:22 AM

just go to the back of your radio....

If you are only going to draw 3 amps the back of your radio constant power should be plenty. Plus it is also backed by a 10-15 amp fuse inside your car. If you pinch your wire or have some sort of rub on metal you will be covered by that fuse. If you go to the big ignition wire at the key tumbler and get a short you are gonna melt the wire that u just ran. Behind your radio you can get both your key and constant powers, and as long as you are only drawing 3-5 amps you are gonna be fine.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:02 AM

There were only six wires going into the ignition.

I don't think I'm drawing much power at all I'll try looking at the radio, Thanks.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 PM

At the ignition harness the 12v constant are both White/Red and White/Blue - double check that with a DMM though
Old 03-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tron
just go to the back of your radio....

If you are only going to draw 3 amps the back of your radio constant power should be plenty. Plus it is also backed by a 10-15 amp fuse inside your car. If you pinch your wire or have some sort of rub on metal you will be covered by that fuse.
Agreed, but see below...

If you go to the big ignition wire at the key tumbler and get a short you are gonna melt the wire that u just ran.
Not so. Remember, whereever you tap into to get power, you MUST fuse. So tapping into that wire is perfectly ok, just fuse your 18ga DVD constant wire with a 5amp fuse. That way if the dvd's constant wire shorts the 5amp fuse pops.

Behind your radio you can get both your key and constant powers, and as long as you are only drawing 3-5 amps you are gonna be fine.
Without a fuse here too, you risk a fire hazard. Even if one taps behind the radio, one should always fuse.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-05-2006 at 12:49 PM.