Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

speaker just doesn't sound right

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker just doesn't sound right

I had Best Buy install my amp and some 6x9's in the back of my runner last week and one of them just doesnt sound right. To me it almost sounds blown, but thats probably not the case. I went back in twice to have them look at it and they still couldnt figure out what was wrong. THe second time I went in they found out they reversed the polarity in one of the speakers, but that wasnt the case for the other one. It still sounds like crap. It hits all the highs but has no bass. It just sounds like a quiet farting sound coming out of it. Does anyone know what I could check on my own because the guys at best buy are crap as far as Im concerned. Thanks for any input!!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sbrut95
I had Best Buy install my amp and some 6x9's in the back of my runner last week and one of them just doesnt sound right. To me it almost sounds blown, but thats probably not the case. I went back in twice to have them look at it and they still couldnt figure out what was wrong. THe second time I went in they found out they reversed the polarity in one of the speakers, but that wasnt the case for the other one. It still sounds like crap. It hits all the highs but has no bass. It just sounds like a quiet farting sound coming out of it. Does anyone know what I could check on my own because the guys at best buy are crap as far as Im concerned. Thanks for any input!!

Maybe the polarity is still reversed and you have the bas sup a little high?

"THe second time I went in they found out they reversed the polarity in one of the speakers, but that wasnt the case for the other one."

One speaker can be out of phase as far as the markings on the wire are concerned, If you can easily get to the speakers, try disconnecting one and reverse the wires and see if there is more bass, if there is that would be the problem.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:40 PM

Is it powered by the head unit? If so maybe they mixed up the rears and the fronts....like front left and rear right (for the 6x9s) and the fader might not be balanced. The polarity could be reversed too. Play around with the balance and fader...
Old 06-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it back to best buy and make them fix it....talk to the car audio sup. and tell him that it hasnt worked right since you bought it and you want it fixed..they should fix it.

if not, return it all and because there install never worked they might refund that also..
Old 06-10-2005, 05:57 AM

They are powered by an amp.
Im just getting sick of best buy. I went in the other day to tell them it wasnt working right AGAIN and they told me I could drop it off and they would try and get around to it. Thats BS man, they should fix the problem right on the spot, they messed it up and I shouldnt have to wait. Is that too much to ask? And how long would it really take them to trouble shoot? It leads me to believe that they dont know what they are talking about.

Im gonna try checking the polarity and see if that works, otherwise I will have to bring it in I guess. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

ive seen this happen to if there is speaker wires that are touching each other
Old 06-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sbrut95

Im gonna try checking the polarity and see if that works, otherwise I will have to bring it in I guess. Thanks for all the replies!

Did you try this yet?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 AM

yup, no luck. I still havnt had time to bring it in to Best buy yet either. so I just have one side working right now. But I also noticed that when I put the balance all the way to the right, my front right speaker plays and my rear left speaker plays. so they messed that up too.