Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Short in Front Speaker Positive (pink) wire 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short in Front Speaker Positive (pink) wire 4Runner

I have a short (or more likely a break) in my left (Driver's Side) front speaker wire in my 2000 4Runner. I checked and it's definitely between the output of the amp and the output to the speaker plug. Any ideas as to where it might be? I tried to follow it and got lost! I can't find out where the wire goes.

I'm thinking the break would be in a place that either gets hot or could be exposed to some mechanical stress. It does not seem to be in the door hinge as that is all enclosed inside a tight inner sleeve (inside the looser outer rubber one that shows no wear).

I may end up just putting a new wire, running it through the door's outer sleeve, and into the speaker....
Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found the break. It was in the door. Weird though, as it was wrapped and then inside the rubber material in the hinge, no sign of wear, no other wires damaged. It was cleanly broken - I think it may have been partly cut to begin with. There is another 'harness' left front panel, under the fuses, right where the wires go into the door. So I cut the pink wire after harness, and attached a new wire and strung it with the bundle of wires into the door, and to the speaker plug. I cut the pink wire their, and attached my new wire to it, and shrink wrapped. It's good to go!

I would never have had to remove the radio and all the panels there if I had known this harness was here - I could have tested the connection from here to the radio - and through the door and realized it was the door side. Oh, well - I did find a bulb burned out, and my cigarette lighter had disconnected (the main one, though there are two others). An I fixed the light on the stereo too - but it still seems to flicker a bit on starting the car (may be inside the head unit itself).