Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

JL Audio 6.5" subs & Amp in my 93 P/U

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JL Audio 6.5" subs & Amp in my 93 P/U

So now that I have a pickup I finally installed my 2 JL Audio 6w0 (6.5") subs in the back. I was looking for an option that wouldn't take up too much space and be somewhat stealthy considering I have the extra cab. What I did was make a 15" x 7 1/4" x 5" box out of MDF which I put both subs into (with a sealed MDF divider between them of course so they have their own seperate "spaces") and I had legs on either side (about 1") for clearance as I made the box downfiring. I glued grey automotive carpet to the box and it has turned out to be an acceptable match (although not perfect) to the factory carpet in my truck. I put this box behind the passenger seat on the floor and I put the amp under the passenger seat. I wired my JL Audio 1200 amp (mono 200 watts) in parallel to the subs and this system sounds great.

After doing this setup I think the 2 JL Audio 6w0's are a better consideration than 1-10" or 1-12" sub in terms of saving space in these extra cabs, yet still getting the eqivolent bass. It's more than enough for what I could ever ask for that's for sure.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:40 PM

really sweet subs and with the right box can be very loud but i also need some pics.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:45 PM

I'll work on this one for you guys - sorry about the delay!
Old 04-10-2005, 06:26 PM

OK Gentlemen, here is a link to the pictures you requested. Let me know what you honestly think:

http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?ac...lbum&album=185
Old 04-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no workie for me... it says i need to sign in
Old 04-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Oh really? ˟˟˟˟˟!! I thought you wouldn't need to just to view the pictures. Ok, well I can email them if you want (or, you can just register and view them real quick maybe? - I don't know, whatever works for you). Give me an email address and I'll shoot them your way.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I offered to host his pics on my school server...

[QUOTE = from email]
1st pic - Here is a picture of my sub box, it's a downfiring sealed custom box that I built with 2 x JL Audio 6w0 subs (6.5" subs). I put it right behind the front passenger seat in my 93 Toyota Extracab 4x4. There is about 1-1 1/4" between the face of the sub and the carpet for them to downfire. Taken from the passenger side doorwell with the front passenger seat fully forward.
2nd pic - Here is a picture of the sub box on it's side so you can see the subs and the "legs" of the sub box. Note how I wasted no room in designing the box so the subs are right beside each other. I'm pretty certain these subs together give the bass of a good 10" in a sealed box, yet their small size (mounting depth, diameter), even considering there is 2 of them, gives you more oppurtunity for custom designs than say one 10" sub. I also like having them in a place where I don't need to take up the cubby holes as I'd rather have those available to put things like towstraps, bungee cords, spare oil, other accessories, etc.Again taken from the passenger side doorwell with the front passenger seat fully forward.

3rd pic - Another picture taken from the passenger side doorwell but with the front passenger seat back all the way but still reclined forward. I want to note that the box behind the front passenger seat does not in any way what so ever infringe upon normal operation (reclining, moving forward, all the way back, etc.) of the front passenger seat.

4th pic - Taken from the Drivers side doorwell this time, with the drivers side seat reclined forward and pushed fully forward. I think I did a reasonable job in finding carpet for this box that is a pretty descent match to the stock carpet. With both seats of the front bench seat (it's a 60/40) completely back and with my tinted rear extended cab and slider windows you can't even tell it's there if you're looking from outside the truck. So I think it's pretty stealthy in that case which is a benefit for obvious reasons. You can't see any of the wires I ran from the amp (note the amp is underneath the passenger front seat) with the front passenger seat completely back (which it is in 99.9% of the time).

5th pic - Another view of the box again from the Drivers side doorwell with the drivers side seat fully forward and reclined forward. Again note that it's pretty stealthy. Let me know what you think.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2005, 10:16 PM

Thanks again Chris for hosting those pictures for me. I really appreciate it. And I hope people at least consider the "solution" I came up with to figure out a way to make some use of the little room we do have in our xtracabs to add some bass.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:13 PM

That's an awesome setup ... you did a great job. I seriously didn't even notice that was your sub boxed until I saw the pic with the subs showing.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM

is the box split into 2 seperate chambers? if the box isnt split you arnt getting the speakers full potential.and do you know the size that JL reccomends? I dont know much about that speaker except that is a really mean(as in a good) one. to me the box looks a little small but again i dont know what JL reccomends. here is their site:
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html
Old 04-11-2005, 06:17 PM

sweet set up by the way. i really like it. i bet it pounds. what kind of amp do you have pushing those?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:48 PM

Yes the Box is built with 2 seperate chambers for each sub as I understand that they need seperate chambers to function properly. I don't know the EXACT cubic footage that I have in my box - I built the box to be as small as possible within reason and within my box making (and tools) abilities. These subs were designed primarily for sealed, custom, small enclosures where space is a real consideration. The recommended box volume for these subs enclosures according to JL's specs is 0.15-0.20 cu.ft each. I'm going to throw a wild guess out there that they are probably about that with my dimensions, but even so, even if the box is smaller, the amp I have pounded these subs has more than enough power for them and my understanding is the golden rule for smaller sealed enclosures is you usually need more amp power. It's a JL Audio e1200 amp (200 watt, mono) which I am powering these subs in parallel. They are thus getting 100 watts of clean power to each sub, of which these subs run 75 watts RMS, so they have more than enough power. The sound they offer is really clean. I would suggest a high quality set of mids or mid bass speakers and you'll have an excellent all around sounding system.

The thing about these subs that is important to mention is that 2 of them are more versatile in terms of saving space/custom applications than 1 - 10" or 12" sub. However they're not as boomy. These subs sound great with AC/DC/hard rock music and they work with rap (they like Rump Shaker - had to pull out this classic cd from W'nE). They don't produce tons of bass accross all ranges, but a real tight hard hitting bass that I have to turn down every once in a while and they compliment the sound of the mids real well for a great all around sound. I'm really impressed.

Lots of guys are buying these subs for their 01'-04' Double Cab Tacoma's and putting them behind the rear seats. As these subs don't require serious mounting depth and there isn't much space behind the Double cab's rear seats, it's a pretty good marriage to work things out well for space with hardly any alteration. I even heard of one guy who put 5 of these subs behind there. Now that would be lots of real crisp sounding hard hitting bass.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 04-11-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:05 PM

You could have gone without a divider, both subs sharing the same air space is not an issue as long as both subs are working. If one sub were to malfunction then the one remaining good sub would have double its volume. The divider in this case would eliminate that possible issue and would act as a brace as well. If the divider is not placed where both chambers have equal volume then you may run into issues where on certain frequencies one sub would be louder/tighter/softer then the other.

It looks good though man, great work!
Old 04-23-2005, 11:47 AM

would you use these subs as a "full range speaker". I am going to run one 12" JL Audio 12w3d4v2 for my sub bass.

Also where did you get them? I can't seem to find them online.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 PM

I think I may do somthing like this as well. Very stealthy indeed but I will probably skip the name brand crap and go with somthing like this... Low cost long travel 6.5"
Old 05-01-2005, 09:08 AM

No these are ACTUAL subs, they are not made to be a full range speaker, meaning you should put them in box or enclosure of some sort to take full advantage of them. If this is your goal then I'd look into mid range speakers as opposed to these. You can find them online at http://www.woofersetc.com
Old 05-01-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
No these are ACTUAL subs, they are not made to be a full range speaker, meaning you should put them in box or enclosure of some sort to take full advantage of them. If this is your goal then I'd look into mid range speakers as opposed to these. You can find them online at http://www.woofersetc.com
Uhh?

JL 6w0
FS:36.7hz
Xmax:7.6mm
Pmax: 75 watts
Vcoil Dia:1.25" 4 layer

TB 6.5 in the link above.
FS:35hz
Xmax:11.5mm !! <-(read...NOT A FULL RANGE DRIVER)
Pmax:120 watts
VC Dia:1.5" 4 layer

No matter how you look at it the $41 Tang Band kills the $95 JL6w0.
1) Higher power handling due to larger Voice coil
2) over 50% more liner excursion each way
3) Lower Free air resonant freq.

I could run enclosure paramaters but there is no need the JL is name brand hype and the lower cost Tang Band 6.5 is the real deal in small diameter subs. The Tb uses a neodymium magnet as opposed to the JL ferrite magnet so the TB looks smaller. I assure there is no comparison...

JL does make some mighty impressive larger subs though. Thay just dont devote any R&D to the little guys and thats about all that TB does.