Hey all like the title says, i think i may have blown one of my subs but am not sure how to know if it is blown or not. It doesnt work at all when i hook it up to my amp, and it makes a bump sound when i turn my car on. I was just wanting to know so i can make sure it is bad. Thanks all.
Puch the cone down in the center and make sure you are mocing it straight down and if there is a scratching noise or if the movement is rough then yes it is blown, do both subs not work or just the one? and are you sure that your amp is runnr right? you might have a blown imput.
From my experience: The sub I blew ripped the cone from it's base (magnet) and basically sounded like it was rattling. If you ripped a wire going from a voice-coil to the cone then it wouldn't be making any noise or popping when you turn the car on. I think you have an amp problem. It sounds like the turn-on and main lead are working.... are the rca's plugged in still on both ends? and are the leads going to the speakers connected? Did the amp overheat? Is it still "Thermal Protected"?
cheap easy trip is to hook a 9volt battery yup the the wires for a second and see if it makes a "Pop" noise. .... this will just let you know that the sub is working.. not if the cone or voice coil is blowen.
I use this trick when wiring surround sound systems and I dont know which speaker wire goes to which speaker. "pop" oh that rear right... "pop" oh thats center.. "pop" .....you get the idea.