Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Higher power 6 channel amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Higher power 6 channel amp

I need a higher power 6 channel amp, or 8 .

I am going to be running a three or four way frontstage (depending on some factors) and I need a higher power amp.
I looked at JL's E6450 and the 650.6 by Zapco and neither has the output I am looking for.

I am going to run:
Two 8's 200 rms/ch
Two 3's 100 rms/ch
Two 1's 100 rms/ch
and MAYBE two 6½'s that call for 300 rms each, but 200 is fine.

Should I maybe just use one 4 channel amp and one 2 channel, or two 4 channel amps depending on what number of speakers I use up front?

This Zed Audio Leviathan is the closest I found, but I have yet to find where to get one from or the price.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:29 PM

check out www.jbl.com and see if thier GTO755.6 II will do the job. You could also check out www.dlsamerica.com has some great multichannel amps as well if you don't end up running the 6.5" speakers. They have the A7, and the RA 50 that may work for you. www.arcaudio.com also has the 5150 XXK amp available.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NisAznMonk
check out www.jbl.com and see if thier GTO755.6 II will do the job. You could also check out www.dlsamerica.com has some great multichannel amps as well if you don't end up running the 6.5" speakers. They have the A7, and the RA 50 that may work for you. www.arcaudio.com also has the 5150 XXK amp available.

Thanks. I checked them all out... I have to think out this setup some more using two amps for the front stage.

I saw you had a post on another board about the DLS Nobeliums, are they out by you yet? Someone on that forum (Maybe CAF???) said they had them in Florida, but still no mention on the internet about stores carrying them here. I really don't want to wait for Nobelium 8.3 to come out either. I keep hitting walls trying to get parts to the system I wanted, now it seems it changes every week.

Now it's between

Dynaudio System 360
Morel Elate 9" 3-way
DLS Iridium 8.3

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-07-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I need a higher power 6 channel amp, or 8 .

I am going to be running a three or four way frontstage (depending on some factors) and I need a higher power amp.
I looked at JL's E6450 and the 650.6 by Zapco and neither has the output I am looking for.

I am going to run:
Two 8's 200 rms/ch
Two 3's 100 rms/ch
Two 1's 100 rms/ch
and MAYBE two 6½'s that call for 300 rms each, but 200 is fine.

Should I maybe just use one 4 channel amp and one 2 channel, or two 4 channel amps depending on what number of speakers I use up front?

This Zed Audio Leviathan is the closest I found, but I have yet to find where to get one from or the price.

I just realized that you sent me that PM

Are you planning on running an active setup with the tweeter and the 3's? Why did you want the 3's anyways? Seems like sort of a waste when the tweeter/mid combo would cover what you need.

If I used all 8 your speakers, I'd do a 4 channel to the 1's and 3's in an active setup, and a 4 channel that would run the 6.5's and the subs. The 2nd 4channel would have to have the ability to produce more power on the rear channels than it would on the front channels. I think the Digital Designs DDC4 is one of those amps. Alpine might make one as well.

You've got quite a few options to go with, but I'm still wondering why you want the 3's in the mix. Just asking out of curiousity
Old 02-07-2006, 10:56 AM

I checked with my dealer, and the Nobeliums are shipping out from DLS in 3 days. Did you need help in getting a set?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

You've got quite a few options to go with, but I'm still wondering why you want the 3's in the mix. Just asking out of curiousity
Part of the 3 way setups. I may or may not use them, but think I will since they fit in the factory location.

I checked with my dealer, and the Nobeliums are shipping out from DLS in 3 days. Did you need help in getting a set?

I would like to wait for the 3 way setup to come out. I doubt I am going to wait that long since this is taking too long to piece together as it is now. I keep having something hindering the process. Plus I wasted about one month trying to get stuff from Ground Zero imported for a somewhat decent price.

Did you get an actual price on them?

I hate waiting for new stuff to come out.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 PM

I guarantee you, you wouldn't notice the difference between a 3 and 4 way setup.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jodynich
I guarantee you, you wouldn't notice the difference between a 3 and 4 way setup.
Care to share with us how you came to that conclusion?

4-RUNNIN' FREAK: The entire time I was thinking you were gonna use 6.5" coaxials :pat:

Yeah, I have the actual prices for the DLS stuff. I work for www.innovativerides.com and they are dealers for DLS.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

I could see if maybe if I used the crossovers that come with the components, but I am want to use the crossovers and gains on a nice 6 or 8 channel amp.
I look at it like this. I have a 4 way setup, with 6 playing and 2 off, I slowly turn up the gain on the last two and I notice a difference.

NAM, I'm really not sure bout the aluminum cones on the Nobelium line. I'd like to listen to them first. I have never messed with a cone of any type of metal before, just paper and CF.

I'm going to spin by a local shop Friday who deals with Morel and Dynaudio.
Thing is, shops here don't put the higher end stuff on display. Don't they get a reduced rate on display units?
But anyway, I like* the Morels I have in the 4Runner, and I love the Dyn home theater setup I have here too. Apples to oranges.

http://www.rs-audio.de/
This was also another company I tried to get some frontstage from. It was going to cost $4,100 to get one set of their higher end compos shipped here. The conversion from Euro to USD, taxes, customs fees.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-08-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Ok in terms of noise and sound, yes you would notice a difference. But quality? I doubt it. I would assume you wont have a 4 way crossover which would probably help and be better about splitting up the power. Anyway, lets not forget you are in a truck, one that makes noise and goes down the road. The maybe $1,000 more that you are going to spend so that the drum might thump a little more is going to be drowned out anyway. Its all relative, if this was going in a home theater- by all means, that would be sweet. But a truck? If you pay that much attention that you notice the extra little bit you gain for 4 speakers for mid to highs, you arn't paying attention to the road.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Ok in terms of noise and sound, yes you would notice a difference. But quality? I doubt it. I would assume you wont have a 4 way crossover which would probably help and be better about splitting up the power. Anyway, lets not forget you are in a truck, one that makes noise and goes down the road. The maybe $1,000 more that you are going to spend so that the drum might thump a little more is going to be drowned out anyway. Its all relative, if this was going in a home theater- by all means, that would be sweet. But a truck? If you pay that much attention that you notice the extra little bit you gain for 4 speakers for mid to highs, you arn't paying attention to the road.

True. But I want some good sounds.

Something I can crank till my ears bleed, and have it still sound good.

Now you somewhat convinced me to take the easier route for the time being. See how fast one changes his mind. Why can't one store have everything, that way I can buy it all in one shot, and not have to hunt for stuff to see what it sounds like and what not. There is tooooooo much planning wasted already. I think this is going to be an expensive weekend.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-08-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:28 PM

I spend alot more time in my truck than I actually do at home. In my case, I'd spend whatever funds I felt necessary to get the musical enjoyment I deserve when I'm stuck in freaking Houston traffic
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 AM

3-4 way front stage are so... mid to late 1980's... lol....
Old 02-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

I was like 5-10 in the mid 80's so I wouldn't know.
I can use the midbass in the door, the 3" midrange in the stock door location and position tweeter in a suitable location to be decided upon by my ears.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 PM

McIntosh makes a 6-channel amp. It's rated at lower wattages than you want, but I bet it can supply plenty of power.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 AM

i remember seeing an IASCA winning van for the 0-50 watts division.

a dude in a wheelchair (hence why i remember this) had his van built up. his front doors had like 7-10 speakers.

now back then, "cheater" amps were just getting hot. the amp was rated for like 2x25 watts at 4 ohms.

but when you start paralleling and series'ing the speakers, by the time you end up at 1 ohm, it was like a 200 watt amp.

anyways, the whole door was a panel of speakers.

of course back then it was the norm. and since it was running off 1 amp, they (speaker warehouse from FL, IIRC) built a very complicated passive crossover network to handle everything.

anyways, as the 80s ended and mid 90s start to hit, the norm became less speakers but big watts.

one was harry kimura and his acura legend (i actually got a demo one time in sacramento). 1000 watts, and 6 speakers.

this was the period of the horn speakers under the dash, a couple of 8"-10" mid bass and massive subs with aperiodic (SP?) enclosure setups were the killer installs.

the theory being, the more speakers you have, the more separation of the frequencies. for example, you have tweeters up high in the dash or up in the sail panels of the doors.

then a midbass down in the door.

so now you have like a foot or distance between the speakers. the theory goes on that your ears MIGHT see the distance and now the higher frequencies, being closer to your ears, than the lower, it will mess up the sound.

as an example, the KICK ASS sony digital eq, the now legendary XDP-4000, not just had time alignment from LEFT TO RIGHT, but since it was designed to have a 3 way system for the front stage, it also had time alignment between the 3 outputs for each side!

so, when properly adjusted, the sound from the tweeter, the mids and the bass in the left side will all arrive at the same time...

for me? 3 channels is enough.

2 to power the front COAXes. and the third to power the sub. with a coax, there are no time alignment issues. and with my cheaper but still liveable sony XDP-210, i can use the time alignment to adjust the LEFT TO RIGHT issues...

so a good recording, like jennifer warnes' BIRD ON A WIRE.

on my 4runner, she sings like she front and center.