Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Here's my planned system.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my planned system.

This is gonna take alot of time and effort and other things gotta come first but I wanted to get some feedback on my planned system.

For a headunit I wana run Pioneer's DEH-P780MP.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...159491,00.html

I would like this to be an all Pioneer truck just cause I like their products. So I'm gonna be using TS-C720PRS in the fronts and TS-M7PRS in the rear. I'm already talking to WabFab about getting an additional "hoop" made up on the rollbar to attach the speakers too. I gotta keep those puppies out of the water heh. I'm still stuck on where to put the front speakers though as I really would like to be able to put on half doors when I want too. I'm thinking possibly behind the headunit on top of the tranny tunnel. But I dunno. Any suggestions?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...263623,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._34604,00.html

For powering these badboys I'm gonna be running 2 PRS-D4100F bridged for each set of speakers.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...177446,00.html

But once again I run into the problem of water. So my thought was getting a storagebox bolting it to the floor and cutting some holes to run cable out of it. I was thinking since It's going to be in an enclosed space I could run acouple of small 12V fans to help keep the air moving and keep the amps cool. I don't know if it would be nessecary, but I would rather be careful heh. Plus it would serve an added bonus for making it really hard for anyone to steal them while the top is off.

And somewhere way down the line I wana add a single 12 inch sub. So then it's a toss up between the TS-W5102SPL and the TS-SW1241D I dunno which one to get Lol. They both have upsides and drawbacks... I'll get closer to making a choice when I get alot closer to actually putting a sub in heh.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...969848,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...969819,00.html

Then I gotta look at powering it. Depending on what route I go. Could be more difficult or less difficult heh.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...823691,00.html

It's gonna be fun and it's gonna take some time, but it's gonna be loud as hell and sound great.

Lemme know what you guys think. Don't be afraid to tell me if I'm doing it all wrong heh.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:28 PM

well, u can never do anything totally wrong in audio. however, personal opinion, pioneer makes a great head unit, not so much on the speakers. loud maybe, but as for quality...

the head unit im all for. i run a pioneer head and its great. i got a mid level one and its amazing. its got plenty of little settings, and its playing features are intense. i can play mp3, wma, cd-r/rw, so i basically make myself a data disc with a couple hundred songs divided up into different genres, and it'll play it. i only have mounts for 2 4 inch speakers in the dash , reg cab pu, and i went infinity reference. great sound. i decided to go sub, and i am now running a 10in punch phase 2 woofer, in a q-logic box. i had it hooked to a little dual amp, and i just upgraded to an alpine mono-amp. it can pound so hard, and its clean. i can listen to any type of music, and it sounds great.

all the pioneer subwoofers ive ever listened to make a lot of noise, but its just noise. the plastic junk gets annoying. synthetic stuff is nice. and bigger isnt always better. my 10 in can outplay MANY 12 inch woofers. just keep that in mind.

just remember, u get what u pay for... do it right the first time.

hope u have great luck and great sound.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Evamonky - What you have chosen is a $2,500 pipe dream Pioneer show. You have too much power pushing those speakers you chose. The Pioneer speakers are not as good quality as some others. Do what you wish, but I would change just about everything you chose.

Pioneer makes great HUs. If you like the frills of the lights, then get it, but I paid $120 for my Sony with no light frills and it has the AUX input for my XM Skyfi2. Beats paying $400+ for a sat. ready receiver and then paying another $100 for the sat. receiver.

Pioneer does not make good speakers. If you want the best of each component, then you will not get all pioneer equipment. Listen to speakers at a stereo shop, not best buy or circuit city and choose whichever one sounds the best to you. I went for the Polks, others went for Infinitys. I paid $240 I think for two sets of Polks.

I don't think you will use the amount of power that you will be spending money on with a Pioneer amp to justify it. Are you going to be in competitions like Bumpin'Yota? I paid under $300 for two Profile amps - one is 80 watts RMS by 4 and the other is 200 watts rms by 2.

I think that shallow sub will not give you the bump that you maybe thinking. I think that may be more suited to strong mid bass, but lack in the area of low tight hits. It seems like it would be a good sub like the bazookas. They are good for bass and vibrate, but lack the low note bump that normal subs give. That has been my thoughts when listening to bazookas, but that was a while ago.

You can get two Pyle 12" subs with an 80+ ounce magnet for $60-80 and buy some MFD board for $20 to make an enclosure.

All in all, I spent under a $1,000 for the entire thing which is only the HU and front and rear speakers for you. I would spend the other $1,500 on offroad goodies personally.

I am not putting down what you want to do. Just trying to give you some sense of devil's advocate.

Here is what I did.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/system-install-my-rig-95-4runner-116183/

Last edited by OSIRIS; 06-26-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM

bingo. basically my thoughts exactly. pioneer head units are great in my opinion, but they dont have to be the top level to be exactly what u want power wise and feature wise.

the speakers, i would suggest infinitys or polk, ive got a set of each of the 6.5 in version in my dads car, infinitys in front, polks in back , and i love em both. polks to me seem to give a more thumpy bassier sound, but they are gret all around, infinitys are great quality for highend notes.

as for woofers, if u wanna be loud, blow stuff up, crack glass when u thump, go alpine type X. just one of the 12 inchers, hook it to an amp that can push a ton of power, and reinforce ur truck. lol.

theres a local sound advice near me, and i go there to listen to subs. as for the speakers, it doesnt rly matter where u listen to them, cause no where other than ur vehicle is gonna sound like it will in ur vehicle. but woofers u can hear the difference. most of the time feel the difference.

heres my suggestions. pioneer hu, polks in front, infinitys in back, rockford fosgate p3 punch 12in subwoofer, alpine amp to run the woofer. that will be awesome sound, and loud as all get out.

sure would make me happy. ive only got a pair of 4inch reference in the front and a 10in p2 sub on an alpine amp, and im pretty happy with that.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Here's where the personal preference comes into play. I don't like the Infinitys because I think they are 'tinty' in the high notes and not enough tonal bass quality. I went Polk all the way around. Others see differently, so check out your local shop to listen to them to see which you prefer. Everybody's different and nobody's right, so no need to argue, just get what you like.

as for woofers. I think a lot of subs are overpriced, including Rockford. Rockford has gone down in quality over the years as they have gone up in commercialization. The old Punchs and Punch amps are different that what's out there today. I have two Pyle 10" subs that I got for $90 that have 80oz magnet, 2.5" VC and are 4 ohms. Like I said, they shake the 4Runner; they vibrate my teeth, cheeks and hair; and they can hear me coming down the road. I say Pyle 12" subs - $80, MFD board for box - $20, Profile AP-1200 amp - $160, Misc. access - $40 == total sub package $300.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by OSIRIS
Here's where the personal preference comes into play. I don't like the Infinitys because I think they are 'tinty' in the high notes and not enough tonal bass quality. I went Polk all the way around. Others see differently, so check out your local shop to listen to them to see which you prefer. Everybody's different and nobody's right, so no need to argue, just get what you like.

as for woofers. I think a lot of subs are overpriced, including Rockford. Rockford has gone down in quality over the years as they have gone up in commercialization. The old Punchs and Punch amps are different that what's out there today. I have two Pyle 10" subs that I got for $90 that have 80oz magnet, 2.5" VC and are 4 ohms. Like I said, they shake the 4Runner; they vibrate my teeth, cheeks and hair; and they can hear me coming down the road. I say Pyle 12" subs - $80, MFD board for box - $20, Profile AP-1200 amp - $160, Misc. access - $40 == total sub package $300.
true. i dunno how the punch used to sound, but i know id take my 10 p2 over a 10 alpine r any day. maybe not as powerful, but its cleaner. especially with a good amp. where can u find the pyle subs? i havent seen them.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOOOOO
MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE PRS COMPONENTS!!!!
Pioneer makes alot of ▓▓▓▓ speakers, but PRS components are the best you can buy for anything under $400. Check the DIYMA (www.diymobileaudio.com) message boards, you will see everyone loves the PRS's... and if you wire them active they will sing even better.... nice set up but instead of the 780 i would get an 880 (same internals except you can run network mode AKA 3 way active) where 780 you can only do f+r+sub.... stilll a nice deck tho...

As for amps, you are choosing a class D full range, it wont have the SQ of a Class A/B amp... which is what i would use to run the speakers (and a class d for the sub). I'll think of some suggestions over the night.... but definately get the 720's!

Last edited by Greg_Canada; 06-26-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by OSIRIS
Evamonky - What you have chosen is a $2,500 pipe dream Pioneer show. You have too much power pushing those speakers you chose. The Pioneer speakers are not as good quality as some others. Do what you wish, but I would change just about everything you chose.

Pioneer makes great HUs. If you like the frills of the lights, then get it, but I paid $120 for my Sony with no light frills and it has the AUX input for my XM Skyfi2. Beats paying $400+ for a sat. ready receiver and then paying another $100 for the sat. receiver.

Pioneer does not make good speakers. If you want the best of each component, then you will not get all pioneer equipment. Listen to speakers at a stereo shop, not best buy or circuit city and choose whichever one sounds the best to you. I went for the Polks, others went for Infinitys. I paid $240 I think for two sets of Polks.

I don't think you will use the amount of power that you will be spending money on with a Pioneer amp to justify it. Are you going to be in competitions like Bumpin'Yota? I paid under $300 for two Profile amps - one is 80 watts RMS by 4 and the other is 200 watts rms by 2.

I think that shallow sub will not give you the bump that you maybe thinking. I think that may be more suited to strong mid bass, but lack in the area of low tight hits. It seems like it would be a good sub like the bazookas. They are good for bass and vibrate, but lack the low note bump that normal subs give. That has been my thoughts when listening to bazookas, but that was a while ago.

You can get two Pyle 12" subs with an 80+ ounce magnet for $60-80 and buy some MFD board for $20 to make an enclosure.

All in all, I spent under a $1,000 for the entire thing which is only the HU and front and rear speakers for you. I would spend the other $1,500 on offroad goodies personally.

I am not putting down what you want to do. Just trying to give you some sense of devil's advocate.

Here is what I did.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116183

Heh, It's not $2,500 I don't pay MSRP for anything. But I do realize I'm pushing too much power. I did that on purpose.

Not enough power blows speakers. I like my music loud. So by buying an amp that's slightly more power than the max power it's gonna hurt it as long as I'm not cranking it to absolute maxium volume everytime I get in. Not that I could anyways, I would blow my eardrums . But it will give me enough power to make sure they are singing good when I want it loud.

Pioneer makes excellent speakers. They last forever too. I have a friend that's still got a Pioneer system in his car from the mid 80's. The speakers and sub still sound just as good as they did when they were new. They did have a slump where their quality sucked and they were not being innovative and for some reason their name got drug through the mud and now people have this assumption that they sound like crap. They don't when properly set up. This means giving them enough power to work correctly. So many times I've seen people take good speakers, underpower them and wonder why they sucked.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...mag_eprint.pdf

I never listen to speakers at stereo shops, they are abused, are almost never hooked up to the correct amp and it's not in a car enviroment. Your listening to a speaker mounted to a wall, not in a way that you will ever listen to it in a car. So you might get a slight idea of what they might sound like for the most part it's nothing like it will sound in your car, for better or worse.

Everyday I drive the truck I'll be using all that power. I will never be in any contests. But that doesn't mean I won't take the top off and try to blow my neibors windows out . Ever try to listen to the radio with the windows rolled down and the top off going down the freeway? It doesn't work so well heh. But like I stated before, it's better to overpower than to underpower. You don't have to use all the power, but if you don't have enough well.... there's just no way to compensate for that.

I like Pioneer's subs. I have heard several of them in my friends cars and they have really good bass. I have not heard the shallow mount subs yet, but from what I've heard of them they are a decent sub. It may not provide the best hit. But I've got space to think about too. Seeing as how this is my camping vehicle and if I simply don't have the room for a full size sub with all the gear I'll be toting plus a passenger or too. The sub has to be the one to downsize heh.

Everyone has their own opinion. It's nice to hear a different point of veiw. Not everyone goes this way, but I like to be different.

Oh and if I wanted the "best" of everything I wouldn't be using Pioneer, I would be using some crazy handcrafted 10,000 speakers .
Old 07-05-2007, 06:16 AM

Can't agree with you more. Enjoy it. Think about it some and maybe you will come up with a design to utilize your space effectively to get good bass and be out of the way! Have fun getting it together.

My DB400s handle 35 watts RMS and the DB6500s handle 100 watts RMS. I have an 80 watt RMS amp pushing them so I understand. It makes for a better quality sound when you don't have to push 100% all the time on the amp to hear the music. My speakers are marine certified though, so there!

Osiris

Last edited by OSIRIS; 07-05-2007 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

definitely get marine certifed if you want to go topless then who gives a hoot if it rains on them...

as far as speakers go it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion, the kind of music you listen to and so forth some are better at one thing not so good at another, get what sounds good to you... if you are going to go all one brand though try to get them to sponsor you or at least give you a discount after all you will be driving a rolling advert for them lol