Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Audio Whats up with you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Whats up with you guys?

What is up with everyone and their mother buying Infinity Car audio? That is almost as bad as MTX Audio..

Please dont take this the wrong way, but its not like Infinity is cheap ie 150.00 for a pair of speakers...

Dont know maybe its just me... but Infinity is real crap... for the price.

Let me know your thoughs
Old 01-15-2004, 10:28 AM

My buddy has 2 MTX 12's in the back and infinity door speakers. I dont know man, thats one of the best sounding systems I've heard. And I love those infinity's.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:34 AM

ouch that hurts.. me going to go get sick now

I am only saying for the price.. I am not saying they are the worst speaker out there because they are not..

I was at the store, I see Infinity costs around 120/or so... and Eclipse is around the same price, maybe a little more..

Eclipse is "High-End" (custom car audio shop) Circuit City sells Infinity dont know... blah@!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have old school 6.5" Infinity Reference components in my doors, and they crank, and sound fantastic.

One day a set of Focal's, ID's, or another brand may end up in there, but these sound fantastic.

Just the two of them fill the whole cabin with sound.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:38 AM

I dont care for mtx speakers that much, but I dont think infinities are that bad for the money. Ive got some 6-1/2 reference coaxials in my tercel runnin off a 50x2 alpine and they sound pretty darn good and Ive been into car audio for quite a while. Just my $.02

Oh why were on the subject what speakers are better for the money? just curious....
Old 01-15-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed that Infinity is like most other mainstream manufacturers now. They have their nice high end stuff, then their middle of the road stuff and then their crap. This is how Boston, Infinity, Alpine, etc. operate nowadays. There is money in volume. Unfortunately, most of the volume is at the low end of the line.

The upper end of these manufacturer's lines are all pretty decent, but none of them would still be in business without the low cost stuff for balance.

Personally, I've never liked MTX.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:03 PM

I personally really like JL speakers. Although infinity is not that bad. A friend of mine has them in his car and they sound really great. MTX does suck....
Old 01-15-2004, 11:10 PM

I see you guys have an MTX flame war going on here, and I don't blame you because I have 2 12" MTX subs in my truck, and they don't hit hard enough with the 1200 watt 2 chanell amp I have. I bought them for $80 in a box almost brand new, so I guess I can't complain that much, JL W-3's will replace them soon, and will hopefully give me my money's worth
Old 01-16-2004, 03:36 AM

Its was funny, when i moved out to CA, I got a Job at the Good Guys installing car audio. When I saw they sold and I had to install MTX, I almost fell over laughing... All the guys there, said MTX is the best LOL>.....

Personaly, I only buy

Zapco, Eclipse, Pioneer (Premere) and MB Quart... NOthing bust the best goes into my baby..
Old 01-16-2004, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Audio Whats up with you guys?

Originally posted by Breezey
What is up with everyone and their mother buying Infinity Car audio? That is almost as bad as MTX Audio..

Please dont take this the wrong way, but its not like Infinity is cheap ie 150.00 for a pair of speakers...

Dont know maybe its just me... but Infinity is real crap... for the price.

Let me know your thoughs
AUDIO SNOB
I have a stock system ( for now) and it sounds good LOL
my 1991 had stock untill I put in a nice Pioneer DEH-P3500
with Kenwood speekers all around..and you know what..it sounded like crap..
I do not know when I put this deck in my new rig if I will also put in the kenwood speekers as well .I was not impressed with them at all.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:53 AM

My $550 kenwood I have is junk (nice looking, good features, just unreliable) and old kenwood amp I had was gutless. So yeah I doubt I buy anymore kenwood stuff anytime soon.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

ummm okay mtx speakers may blow but their amps and 8000 and 9000 series subs rock
hey juggalo look at getting some 8000 series 12's with my friends 6500d amp (775 rms amp) it was one of the best sounding systems in a custom box iv heard.

iv had fosgate, alpine, polk momo, jl w6v2, and infinity kappa perfect subs all in 12inch in my rig in the past year and 1/2. so far the only 2 subs that have been remotely close to sq and spl were the jl's, the alpine trype r's, and kappa perfects (great sq) but my mtx subs are by far the best overall imo. i cant even get them to burp at all with over 2600 watts rms running to them through the bp1200.1's.

im going to kappa speakers in the doors and ditiching the 6x9's. my friends old school cruiser has kappa components and kappa rear 6x9's and sounds amazing soo clear and smooth and great bass almost sub quality (not exactly but u get my drift)

if you pay retail they are expensive but on ebay kappas go for 150 for the 6.5 components and like 40 for the 6.5 2 or 3 ways
Old 01-16-2004, 02:58 PM

I have a 1200 watt (peak) Mobile Authority 2 chanell amp powering my 2 12" MTX subs (not sure what series) I'm thinking of getting JL W3's instead, will my amp provide enough power for them?

As far as treble goes, for now I just have the stock size 4" Boston Accostic's powered by a kick ass Alpine head unit.

Later on I will get custom kick panels with 6" and seperate tweeter's, and another pair custom made to go into the headliner, probably a pair of 6" also, and ofcourse a 4 chanell amp to power them.

Now I need another $2000 to spend on my stereo and I'll be happy (for a little while)
Old 01-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

umm to be honst i have never heard of a mobile authority amp. wehre did u get it? how much? does it ahve a lpf, bass bost, etc etc
Old 01-16-2004, 04:28 PM

Zapco, Eclipse, Pioneer (Premere) and MB Quart... NOthing bust the best goes into my baby..
Breezey.. I hope your not serious. You need to explore a few audiofile shops and find some high end stuff. I just want to inform you that there is a hell of alot better stuff out there . Most audio stores sell that mainstream stuff and they will tell you its the best. A suzuki dealership will tell you the same thing. Im not trying to tell you your stuff is no good. Im just saying hamburgers are good but theres prime rib down the street.
Anyone thats buying audio equipment needs to listen to their ears. And if you dont trust your ears. Pull the manual out and look at the specs. If you dont know what to look for then you need to do some research. For example. pioneer premier, their best unit. Has a 1 bit d/a converter. Your ears hear everything in analog. Everything is sound waves coming into your ears. Music now a days is digital. All 0s and 1s. Nothing else. A d/a converter converts digital information into analog so you can hear it. A 1 bit d/a converter is converting the information but its missing alot of information. Try a 24 bit converter out and you will hear what im talking about. The same goes for frequency response. All these numbers are there so you can have an idea what your buying. Dont trust a salesperson because frankly they dont give two ˟˟˟˟s what they are selling you.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

I won't comment on which brand is better because I have only the stock system and don't listen to that much. Besides, my definition of good and bad might differ.

However, a comment on 1-bit and 24-bit converters.
As far as I know, they are entirely different beasts. A normal digital to analog converter (like a 24-bit unit) takes a digital input representing the amplitude of the analog signal and converts it to a voltage that is fed to the amplifier. Supply it with a continuous stream of numbers representing the analog voltage and you recreate (in theory) the original sound. The more bits you have, the better you can represent the fine detail in the original analog signal. (There are an awful lot of other issues to consider such as the quality of the amplifiers, etc. before you can say any given 24-bit unit is better than a 16-bit unit for example and whether you could even tell the difference if you never even used the smallest 8-bits of any particular unit in an auto environment).

Anyway, the 1-bit units that I'm thinking of use digital signal processing techniques to take the stream of multi-bit digital values from a CD for example, and convert it to one very high rate signal to turn on and off what is essentially a 1-bit converter (output only has two voltages - high and low). This may sound a little strange, but mathematically you can show that you can re-create an arbitrary analog signal this way.

When the 1-bit types first came out, it was pretty tough to build a good multi-bit converter and the down-stream amplifiers at an affordable price. (I suspect it still is.) The smallest signals out of the converter are so small they are easily overwhelmed by the noise in the system for one thing. The proponents claimed they got better sound by building a good 1-bit unit and adding enough computer horsepower to calculate the signal to drive it.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:04 PM

US Amps
MB Quart
JL Audio
Alpine

Very Hard to beat!
Old 01-16-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by dexter
umm to be honst i have never heard of a mobile authority amp. wehre did u get it? how much? does it ahve a lpf, bass bost, etc etc
I got it for $350 brand new in the box still off a friend that desperatly needed the money. I belive it retails for around $500, and it has all the stuff you mentioned above. I'm still waiting on the capasitor, the one the shop put in was defective, and now I have to wait until they get another one in. It seems like my amp is drawing too much power, and there's not enough to be had, so they told me a cap will help out quite a bit (I hope)

As far as stock stereos go... there pretty much crap, all of them (no offence to anyone)
Old 01-16-2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Juggalo
As far as stock stereos go... there pretty much crap, all of them (no offence to anyone)
I am with you, stock just plain sucks.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah but what about a stock system with a rattling passenger side speaker?!?!?! THAT IS BLINGIN YO!!

Come on now...

I will shortly be getting (2) 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7's and a 1200w amp...I HOPE that will be "shortly"

Fink