Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2nd Gen Speaker Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2nd Gen Speaker Fitment

I'm planning on a modest system upgrade in my 2nd generation 4runner (94) and while I've learned a ton from searching these forums I want to avoid buying speakers that don't fit in the factory openings.

I've seen some good deals on ebay for Alpine type s 4" and Infinity reference 4" for the fronts. Are they straight drop in replacements? These really need to be replaced, I can hear my pass side fluttering when I turn up the stock HU just a little.

For the rears I would like to go with components to utilize the placement of the stock cargo area light mounted tweeters but I don't know which 5 1/4 components will fit in the sides. Even though my plastic panels are scratched up from hauling stuff I want to avoid cutting holes in them. I'd like to keep it stock looking and avoid damaging the speakers with cargo. I guess I'm asking which components speakers will drop into the stock rear openings with as little modification as possible? Is there space behind the panels (on both sides) to mount the crossovers? Anyone cleverly mounted their tweeters in the stock location? Epoxy them in?

I want to keep rears because I often attend beach bonfires and like to open up the back for music. Been thinking recently about those wakeboard tower speakers for boats mounted to my roof rack but that's down the road.

This is phase 1 of the upgrades, new HU and basslink next.

Thanks and remember kids, Safety Third!

S3
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the front speakers (in the bottom 1/2 of the dash) are 4T (same 4" speakers but they only have 2 mounting tabs...otherwise, you'd have to cut out a little plastic trim, or cut two of the metal tabs off the speaker). As for the rear, it a 5" speaker (not 5 1/4" though they may work if you cut the box opening a bit) but I got some 6 1/2" and have them mounted to a piece of plastic that replaced the box.

I got all my stereo stuff from www.crutchfield.com and they'll even send you all the connectors and instructions for free.

As for mounting the tweeters, your guess is as good as mine

Last edited by SacRunner; 03-09-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:31 PM

the front 4in's should b the reference. no doubt in my mind. i got em and i love them. great sound. iv also got a 10in p2 sub and the 4in's cover it great even with massive bass. as for the other speakers wouldnt rly know about the install and such seeing as iv got the pu and have nothing other than the dash ones, but find something that covers the ranges u dont have yet. install for anything is easier in yotas. the dash is uber easy, just connect and screw in.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 PM

What purpose does the plastic box on the stock 5" serve? If they are there to increase bass then I don't think they do a very good job. My system is gutless.

I'm starting to lean toward 6.5" components for the rear since they're about the same price as the 5.25" and in some ebay auctions cheaper. Should I worry about glassing up a new box for the 6.5" midwoofers or just dynamat the area behind them and make a mounting plate out of mdf?

Also, anyone have links to any rear installs in 2nd gen 4 runners? I've found tons for 3rd and up but not so many for 2nd.

S3
Old 03-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Do the 6.5's, i would (did).
Also, if you can, make an enclosure for them, if youre not running an amp you definately want to do the best you can, and an enclosure is a good thing to run to get any bass.... my infinity components (free air) had no mid-bass until i gave them an amp... i think they would do better with an enclosure....
Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM

So I'm looking at getting the kappa 4" since they're 50w rms and have a crossover + 6.5" reference components 60w rms for the rear. How do I choose an amp that will give me 50w x2 @2ohm and 60w x2 @4ohm? Am I screwing things up by mixing impedances?

Also, what brands of 200w-ish amps fit underneath the drivers seat in a 2nd gen?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm currently in the process of installing 6x9s in the rear but i had to cut a hole out of the panel in the rear on each side so if your looking for a stock apperance this isnt the way to go but if you want more sound at a better quality id recommend it
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 AM

You don't need 2ohms for front and 4ohms for rear speakers. They are both 4 ohm drivers. I have Profile amps. 80WX4 for the front and rears and 200WX2 for the Pyle subs. I used Polk for my speakers, but it is the same set up. You can find my install in my '95 by doing a search. I should come up on the first page if you do threads shown for the past two months.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OSIRIS
You don't need 2ohms for front and 4ohms for rear speakers. They are both 4 ohm drivers. I have Profile amps. 80WX4 for the front and rears and 200WX2 for the Pyle subs. I used Polk for my speakers, but it is the same set up. You can find my install in my '95 by doing a search. I should come up on the first page if you do threads shown for the past two months.
Would be OK to do component speakers in the front, and rear? I mean is it OK to do that in the back, as well as the front?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 AM

You can do components in the front and back. Even the components would be 4 ohms and have a crossover to hook them all up. It is hard to find some 4" mids/woofers and tweeters without getting over $200. I think it would be a great idea to have the tweeters up on the dash corner instead of down by your knee facing down. It would definitely help with the sound quality and separation.

There are some JVC 3.5" mids and some satellite tweeters, but I think it would be adding up very quickly. You may find some extra tweeters and run them in series with your 4" drivers in the front. Possibly get a set of super tweeters with a lower db, so it will enhance it slightly. It may be some trial and error.

Perhaps someone with a friend at a stereo shop and a lot of time can do some T&E work to find out what works economically.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OSIRIS
You can do components in the front and back. Even the components would be 4 ohms and have a crossover to hook them all up. It is hard to find some 4" mids/woofers and tweeters without getting over $200. I think it would be a great idea to have the tweeters up on the dash corner instead of down by your knee facing down. It would definitely help with the sound quality and separation.

There are some JVC 3.5" mids and some satellite tweeters, but I think it would be adding up very quickly. You may find some extra tweeters and run them in series with your 4" drivers in the front. Possibly get a set of super tweeters with a lower db, so it will enhance it slightly. It may be some trial and error.

Perhaps someone with a friend at a stereo shop and a lot of time can do some T&E work to find out what works economically.

I was thinking upgrading the rear speakers, which I already modified the stock box to cleanly accept a 5.25" speaker, to components, and getting those Q-forms for the kick panels and doing 5.25" components up there, too. Would that sound pretty good?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Put money into front speakers and an amp, rear is only for fill, i have mine turned right down...
Old 12-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Anyone got any good pics of their system for us to see, maybe get some ideas? I too have nothing but stock, and hardly working at that. I have been shopping around like crazy, but I want to get it all all at once.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BrunswickYota
Anyone got any good pics of their system for us to see, maybe get some ideas? I too have nothing but stock, and hardly working at that. I have been shopping around like crazy, but I want to get it all all at once.
If you want, you can modify your stock rear speaker boxes to accept a 5.25" speaker. I've done that, and I run 4" Blaupunkt speakers in the front. I really like my Blaupunkt's because they sound great, and they have a killer warranty.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BrunswickYota
Here you go. This is my set up. I hid both of my amps. Polk 4" up front and 6.5" components in the back.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/...runner-116183/