Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

square tube d shaft slip joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
square tube d shaft slip joint

got a sqare tube built recently and it works great, but i kind of want to make the slip better. was wondering if anyone has done anything with that?

im thinking of putting welds on the corners and grinding down untill its tight. this a good move or should i just leave it alone?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Put tacks on the outside of the inside tube on all four sides the length of slip then grind down to fit. It's crude but it works if you take your time and get it right.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 AM

thats kind of what i was thinking. will i have any problem with heat bending the tube, or just put one tack at a time to keep that from happening? (i know its .25 but dont want to make the tube all squirrely)

thanks for the confirmation that im on the right track.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM

well i went for it. took a hour or so, kind of crummy weld job, but i think it will work good.

Last edited by humboldtMUD; 03-02-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Just curious....why would you want to make the slip tighter? I am planning on building one of these soon. So any ideas are great.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM

well i got it up to 45-50 mph and it had some vibs but worked good so...no reason. buuut i wanted to improve upon it. figured with the slop the shaft wasnt a strait line, so making it tighter could also be easer on the ujoints. also noise should be improved although that wasnt a big deal
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM

ok that makes total sense. Thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM

so after testing the new set up i would say it was a great idea. it doesnt bind up at all, almost no noise and i took it on the street w/ hubs locked/out of 4x4 to 50 mph and vibes felt about as bad as an out of balance wheel. it just works better.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM

whats the advantage of haveing a square drive shaft?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 PM

^its cheaper than having one made and balanced for just a front
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
^And more slip(than a stock front driveshaft).
Here was my problem: there was not enough slip in the driveshaft to handle the added flex created by my homemade leaf packs and longer shackles. There would be about 1-3/4" of travel left to pull the shaft apart on the RTI ramp, yet on the trail, due to various issues such as axle wrap, and unexpected articulation, the shaft would pull apart.

The solution: Make a SQUARE DRIVESHAFT

I decided to make a square driveshaft for my 1983 Toyota PU. Why?...you may ask. I did this for the following 5 reasons:

1. To get more "slip" (travel before the driveshaft comes apart).

2. It is strong.

3. It is easy to make and fix.

4. It is CHEAP!!!

5. It is EXTREMELY CHEAP!!!!!

I needed a long travel driveshaft. Normally these long travel driveshafts cost between $200-$300. A square driveshaft can cost as little as $10 or $20....sounds good to me!

Though some people look at a square driveshaft, and think..."How ghetto," there are several advantages, which I listed above, when it comes to square driveshafts.

Slip (travel)

This was my main reason for making a new driveshaft. With my regular travel splined driveshaft, I had room for about 1-3/4" compression, and 3 inches of extension allowable in the splines before they would pull apart. With the square driveshaft, I made it so that there was about 3" compression, and 8" extension in the shaft before it would pull apart. These are all from the position of the shaft at rest. I am 100% positive I would never pull apart this shaft on the trail unless my axle fell off!

Strength

The square driveshaft is very strong. Though cylinders are ideal for torsional loads, the square tubing is still very strong, and the odds of the tube shearing or the corners being rounded off (by each other) is very unlikely. The upper tube is "receiver hitch" tube. It is approximately 2.5" OD with a .25" wall thickness. The bottom tube is 2" OD tube with a 3/16" wall (because that is what I had). That piece would be the only piece that I would worry about. The fact that the bottom tube extends so far up into the top tube adds a lot of strength to the overall assembly, and lessens the likelihood of smashing the upper tube at least.

CHEAP!!!

This shaft is very cheap, because you should already have the parts, except for the tubing. The tubing should cost no more than $20. Zerk fittings are $5. Total: $25 Can't beat that!

Ease of Construction

The square driveshaft is very easy to make, and can be done in a few hours...
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jscarbro/driveshaft.htm

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-09-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by humboldtMUD
well i went for it. took a hour or so, kind of crummy weld job, but i think it will work good.

Interesting idea. I may just try this.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Interesting idea. I may just try this.
I tried welding some fat beads and grinding they down on my front shaft before my Moab trip. It was quieter the first day and after that, it was back to noise Oh well, worth a shot. Since I put a twin stick in, I've been using 2wd low alot and the front DS makes a ton of noise with no power from the t-cases and just being spun by the front axle and locker. You get used to it on the trail though.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 PM

hmmm makes a lot of since, after i lift mine i just may do this and try it out
Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Volcom
I tried welding some fat beads and grinding they down on my front shaft before my Moab trip. It was quieter the first day and after that, it was back to noise Oh well, worth a shot. Since I put a twin stick in, I've been using 2wd low alot and the front DS makes a ton of noise with no power from the t-cases and just being spun by the front axle and locker. You get used to it on the trail though.
Hmmm, interesting. The truck does have twin sticks.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 AM

i have to say, it was well worth the hour or so it took me to weld/grind the edges. it just works better with a tight slip
Old 04-10-2011, 12:41 PM

my solution was a thin strip of metal welded front and back to the whole length of the slip on all sides to make a nice tight fit. Mine has been up to 40 with hubs locked and i get no noticeable vibes. Elminated almost all slop i had when i first made the shaft

Old 04-10-2011, 01:37 PM

thats a really good idea, wish i would have thought of that
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lazlow
my solution was a thin strip of metal welded front and back to the whole length of the slip on all sides to make a nice tight fit. Mine has been up to 40 with hubs locked and i get no noticeable vibes. Elminated almost all slop i had when i first made the shaft

That's actually what I was thinking about doing. How thick was the shim? .030, .040"?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
That's actually what I was thinking about doing. How thick was the shim? .030, .040"?
ill go out and measure extras of what i used tomorrow with some calipers but i also used 3/16th instead of 1/4" wall square tubing so it will probably be different

Last edited by lazlow; 04-11-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: square tube d shaft slip joint