Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Crawling is for Sissies...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rock Crawling is for Sissies...

not really... please dont hurt me...
I really respect all of your opinions after what ive been reading here over the last few months.

Im on the edge of a 99 4Runner here, got a few lined up, just a matter of time here. I will need to modify the suspension, but it looks like most of the guys here on YotaTech.com are focused on Rock Crawling... going slooowww. Thats great. My Dads into it. Seems like everything I read though is either just a cosmetic lift or is more focused on Rock Crawling.

I want/need to ride fast down the two tracks and dirt roads behind the gates. I need a suspension to match.

Im in Arizona Sonoran desert, and have been running the trails and farm areas here for 4 years now, mostly in the flats, and foothills... doesnt sound exciting maybe but I run them kinda fast. I need to do this in in the 4Runner now. Lots of Hard braking, and need to have it soak up the bumps as Im hauling azz at the limit of safe speed. Trails are hard packed gravel, mixed with loose sand in spots and usually have wash out ruts.

My current truck is a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, and I have 3 inch lift with replacement springs rather than spacers, and firm shocks (Rancho RSXs) and 33-12.5's X-terrains. I have singlehandedly redefined the meaning of desert pinstripe into a decoration style rather than blemish. Rides a little firm on the highway, but I like it, feels like a sports car, AND it Rides great offroad, everybody loves it and notices. Has a nimble feeling even for a big ol 1/2 ton xtra cab. Getting rid of the Ram and I want that performance in a 4Runner. Im a Toyota convert now

Right now Im planning 1"BL and then 2" of suspension lift... just enough to clear some 285-75's. Probably MTR's. Im guessing some replacement springs, probably some limiting straps. I dont want to fool around with having to recharge shocks or any other routine tweaking. All winter long I spend at least one day out running if not both.

What combination of Springs, Shocks and Spacers do you guys think I should be looking at for that kind of driving ?

THANKS !!!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:48 PM
zesty

For that kind of driving, you need coilovers. That is what they were designed for, fast stuff. For the rear I would not know what to recomend as far as springs, but some fancy hydraulic bump stops would be on the top of my list, at both ends.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:54 PM

Check out my friends 4Runner- Here
I think he was thinking of making a kit for Tacos/4runners, but it would be alot of dough.
I've been out with him in the local desert here, and realistically, the 4Runner is just too heavy. Even with his extensive custom suspension, other lighter/smaller engined Toyota's blow him away in the same type of terrain you're talking about. He even has a supercharger and it doesn't make much difference. He is already talking about reworking the rear end, it seems to be the weak link in his setup. He's also running air bumps and Kings,and they get a workout.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Cool another AZ prospect! When you get your rig, let's go wheeling!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM

you need this: http://chaosfab.com/tacomalong.html

can be bought at:
http://www.kartek.com/prod-windows/t...oma-lt-4wd.htm
Old 05-19-2004, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the Welcome Guys !
Rock and Roll....

If things go right I might be an official 4Runner owner this weekend, got my eye on one with a e-locker and 4.30 gears already in it

I just got done looking closer at the SAWs and the King Coil-over....

was looking good until I saw the dreaded HEIM joints. I went through 12 of (Pair every 6months at 95$ a piece after the first ones that were covered under warranty.) those lousy things on my dodge's lower control arms before I said to-heck-with-it and went back to "plain" bushings.

Seems like the AZ desert likes to rot/eat away those teflon/kevlar linings between the ball and hub ( ?FLOBW) and talk about rattle and squeak.... ugggh. Have you guys found different ? I dont want to spend more time under the 4Runner than in it.

I think thats some good feedback on the weight-ratio aspect against general body size of the 4Runnner. Maybe Im expecting/hoping for too much ?

Either way Im still going 4Runner. Im finally tired of Pushing a fullsize truck though the creosote like pushing a golfball down a garden hose.

If all these Arizona trails are jeep or TOYOTA "wide", time to drive a TOYOTA !

==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=

Thanks guys those are some killer links ! Great pics and definitely some idea generators.

This is going to mainly be a hunting vehicle that I can drive-hard and put-away-wet. We fly down the trails theres no doubt about that. Maybe Firm coils and shocks is my best bet for longevity and least maintenace ?

Last edited by COYOTA $x$; 05-19-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
Have you guys found different ?
Nope. I have the SAW's and it didn't take them long (read, 6 months) before both were shot. I do get out quite a bit and give them a good workout, but still. I still haven't done anything about them (as it has been 9 months since they started this) except for the daily dose of WD-40. They're coming off soon enough, though. They squeak like hell, no doubt about it. Extremely embarrassing if they go dry and there are people within a 10-mile radius. I've only heard a couple of locals recently talk about the squeaks on theirs, but other than that, I haven't heard of anyone else with issues.

Welcome to the board!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Take a look at some of the desert boards, you have several of them centered around Arizona. Those boys do some incredible things with long travel and fiberglass body panel. Mild to wild, they will get you set up for the kind of wheeling it sounds like you want to do.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:51 AM

If you plan to stay stock bodied with stock width suspension components, I recommend Donahoe racing coil-overs. They are much nicer than the competition. They are 2.5" diameter shocks with a lot more oil capacity than SAW's and they offer more travel than the Kings. More oil is what you need in the whoops or at high speed to prevent fade. For the rear, believe it or not but the OME medium duty shocks with heavy duty coils keep up pretty good. Other than that you would need to custom fabricate something. If you are dead set on staying away from heims in the front, Bilstein just released a front coil-over that has a bushing lower. I have had no issues at all with years of use on any of my coil-over heims. At some point they will need to be replaced however, just like bushings. I would not recommend using WD-40 as a lubricant on metal, it strips away any lube that is present and dries up leaving you with metal on metal, use tri-flow it is a way better lubricant for general purposes.

If you want to widen the stance of the truck and get fiberglass fenders, Total Chaos or ESB fabrications or Camburg engineering are all great choices. But compared to Rancho and trailmaster they are a lot of money. I have run my 4Runner in Baja with it's current setup and it performs great, it is heavy but as long as you don't plan on getting much air it will hold it's own very well. Here is what I run.

Front:

•SAW 2.5x8" Emulsion Shocks 650# sprongs sway bar disconnected with limiting straps set to approx. 9" travel.
(Donahoe's coil-over is internally limited to exactly the right amount of travel for stock width trucks so it is a better option, they didn't exist when I setup my truck)
•Total Chaos Uni-ball upper a-arms

Rear:

•OME Heavy Duty coils
•OME Medium Duty shocks
•AOR extended stainless brake line

Body lift:

•4 Crawler 1" ultimate kit

Tires:

•BFG Mud Terrain 285/75/16

This setup works well for what you are talking about and it will let you rock crawl/pre-run at an enthusiast level, especially if you get the truck with 4.30:1's and a locker.

here are some links for you to check out:

http://www.donahoeracing.com/ (best coil-over available)

http://www.esbfabrications.com/ (extreme long-travel kits)

http://chaosfab.com (long-travel or uni-ball stock width kits)

http://www.aor4x4.com/ (Bilstein coil-overs, brake lines etc.)

http://www.camburg.com/ (long-travel or uni-ball stock width kits)

http://www.kartek.com (retail outlet to purchase most any kit above)

Good luck man!

-Sean

Last edited by SEAN_at_TLT; 05-20-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:55 AM

I too would suggest the donahoe coilovers if you staying with a stock setup, in the last petersons issue(I think it was this months?) they installed a donahoe setup on a otherwise stock tacoma and then went and ran the baja 1000 with it, it didnt finish but it did make it pretty far and it shows incredible dedication to there products.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 PM

Wow another flatlander making fun of Rock Crawlers. Bud...you don't even need 4 wheel drive for driving down dirt roads. Why don't you just get a Subaru WRX instead...then you can take it out on the nice pavement too.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:11 PM

Order online and have it shipped anywhere, from Protrux.net
Old 05-20-2004, 02:07 PM

SEAN @ TLT... HIGHRLR...

Awesome recomendation I will look into that setup you recomended, as well as the Bilsteins. A proven setup is what I am looking to hear about....

I really had bad luck with the Heim joints, and it was the Teflon liner in there that hosed me everytime. I dont know if its the dust here or what.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

alltheway, dude relax a little I was just playing, didnt you read the first lines ? My Dad RockCrawls, Ive been on some #3 trails in the Superstitions on one of the Jamborees too (I was the only fullsize there), not too mention numerous Elk, Bear, Deer scouting/hunting trips where I was going 2-5mph and negotiating the mining trails (not that thats Rock Crawling by any means, but you see where Im going). I aint against RockCrawling, this 4Runner will just have a differnt intended purpose...

Guys keep the rec's coming !!

This is gonna be great project !!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:31 PM

COYOTA...sorry it just seemed like you were taking a dig at Rockcrawlers because of the subject lining or your topic "Rock crawling is for sissies"

Ever do wheeling on the Rubicon? I will be going up there on Memorial Day Weekend in my buddys 1972 Ford Bronco.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:50 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Try this stuff - sounds like just what you're looking for:
http://shop.offroadwarehouse.com/index.php?cat=137
Old 05-21-2004, 07:03 PM

Thanks again guys for all the info and links, its been very helpful.

Meanwhile back at the Ranch...

Phase 1 accomplished.

1 '99 4Runner SR5 Sport/Highlander SX in black acquired. Pick it up next weekend. Buyer for old Dodge Ram identified and committed.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:40 PM

keep us posted! Nice truck to start with!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:12 PM

Getting the plan together after much research. THANKS TO YOU GUYS IM CERTAIN IM ON A GREAT PATH !!!!!!

Apparently they make little cover-boots for Heim joints. Found some on the web after reading a small tidbit on SSchaefers home page and Ill be using them an the heim joints. That being said, Im going to go with the Donahoes up front, and the OME firm spring/medium shock you recommended for the rear.

Going to try to get all the mods together and finished by September. I gots lots of little pieces here and there to go do to get this rig up and ready for action.

heres the list to date:

Custom sized/designed Safari roof rack
2nd spare tire
Offroad Lighting attached to said rack
swap in a CD radio
dual battery (maybe a custom false/raised floor with deck stoarge lids in rear cargo area)
Sonoran Steel rear bumper and ladder rack
CO2 rig
1" BL
bumpstops
StubbsSliders
Donahoes up front
OME combo out back
panhard bar
285/75/16 tires (not entirely sure which yet but Ive got awhile to decide haha)

and then the litttle nickel and dime stuff.

Ill bring back the thread as it goes,

AGAIN THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR MAKING THIS POSSIBLE !!!!!