Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating Cruise Control and AFM - 2G 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Relocating Cruise Control and AFM - 2G 4Runner

I need to make way under the hood for the big honkin' Extremeaire. I've been looking at a few things I think I can move around/change.

The cruise IMO is taking up some pretty good real estate. I did a poll a long time ago about keeping it or not, and it was an overwhelming vote to keep it, so I guess it should stay (I haven't used the darn thing in 5 years + though ) Has anyone with a 2G moved it over to the firewall above the intake plenum? There seems to be ample space between the plenum and the hood.

Are there any specific precautions to take other than not to stretch or kink the cable? Can the control be mounted in any position - sideways or upside down?

Same question about the AFM, although not as drastic of a move. Does it need to be flat or can it be moved a bit? I've got some crazy idea that I've got to explore...
Old 07-01-2004, 05:21 PM

I know it does not answer the question, but I would look harder at putting it in the rear of the rig instead of moving all the underhood stuff.

The kicker to me is I have room for a second battery now, and that is about the size of the Extreme Air IIRC.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:40 PM

I "could" put it under the cargo area in front of the spare, but that's where my spare battery was going to go (with the Viair tank). My concern with mounting the compressor back there is that compressors draw air. If i put it in under the cargo area, there is the potential for it to suck water (theoretically anyway) As it stands in my current plan, I would extend the "intake" on the copressor to where my relocated intake will be.

I'm working through a dual purpose intake - almost a deck plate/internal snorkel setup that I think will have some merit. The intake is the real reason to relocate some things. If it doesn't pan out, mounting the compressor out back looks a whole lot more appealing...
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm...sounds like the race is on!! I just bolted in my ARB compressor an hour ago. I received my missing parts from ARB today, but they forgot the push coupler and sent me the wrong switch cover! They specifically asked whether I needed the front or rear cover and I told them the rear cover. What do I get? The front cover of course! I'll be calling them tomorrow.

This probably doesn't help you Mike, but I moved the ignitor toward the AFM and moved the cruise control toward the firewall. The CC can move maybe 1-2 inches.

Where are you putting the switches? I have 1 button space open where my rear window switch is. I think I'll put the compressor switch there and the 2 locker switches above that on the front of the center console. I hate putting big holes in things though.

I've got an appointment to have the front locker installed on Wednesday.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:03 PM

Steve - on the switches I'm getting a newer version of the Contura rocker for the lockers, compressor and other stuff. www.carlingswitch.com

If set switches side by side and leaving a center rib for the mounting stud, it is possible to get 6 switches over where the two knockouts are to the left of the steering wheel above the dimmer know.

I also am looking at the area between the auto shifter and the lower dash to make something custom. I'm not as wild about here though since there's alot of fab needed to make the latter happen.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i mounted my arb compressor INSIDE the rear cargo area above the left wheelwell...
Old 07-02-2004, 01:37 PM

I meant in the cargo area.

Steve, I have another switch cover if you want it. Did you go dual ARB's.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Steve, I have another switch cover if you want it. Did you go dual ARB's.
Nah, that's ok. They're overnighting me the switch cover and push connector. The CFO ok'd dual ARBs!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
I also am looking at the area between the auto shifter and the lower dash to make something custom. I'm not as wild about here though since there's alot of fab needed to make the latter happen.
I just took my center console and the shifter area apart. The rear heater is huge and takes up most of the center console volume. I couldn't fit switches there. The area between the shifter and the lower dash also has a bunch of stuff underneath the plastic cover. No way to get a switch in there. I ended up moving my rear window switch to the right side of the ECT switch and the lockout button to the left side of the ECT button. That left 3 holes available for the ARB switches. Pretty easy, just had to get over cutting into the console.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you wanna be trick, replace the switch that activates the system. it's nothing but a SPST switch.

when i swapped my tranny to a 3rd gen (for the dual case), the shifter had the button to activate the 4wd (for that 3rd gen 4wd system). so if and when i get around to it, that button will be used turn on the system.

and since i bought my arb a few eons ago, i have the old style switch which happens to fit next to the dash dimmer pot.

if you need to, the switch that ARB ships is kinda complicated than it needs to. you can use any SPST switch. you just have to figure out which wires go where...