Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New coils, new problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by byron4
i also have the OME 901HD's(not installed yet) for my 93. so i need...
- coils
- panhard drop bracket
- brake porportioning valve drop bracket
- extended brake lines
anything else.......... now im wondering why i didnt go with downey.

thanks
I got the 901's and don't have any of the above. Brake lines have plenty of play because the swaybar keeps it from hyperextending them. Brakes work good. Hate the wheel sticking out farther on the drivers side but the driveshaft hits nothing. It works good as it is...but it don't work good with stock shocks. I learned the hard way by breaking the weld on the shock eyelet.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

As many of you know I sell the OME kits. I also use them on my '91 4runner. I am running 901HD Springs, OME Shocks/Steering Stabilizer, SDORI Ball Joint Spacers, Downey Pan Hard Bracket and the Downey Rear Control Arm Truss. I made my own BPV bracket and still have stock brake lines. I have wheeled this setup and have had no issues with Brake lines, drive shafts or BPV not working. Alot of the items mentioned are great to have but, IMO not an absolute must have to get started. I am sure others have their opinions of what is needed and I can't say they are wrong. Our Kits do not come with the Downey Brackets. I would suggest you look at these items or something similar. You will find as you go along other items that will make your Off Roading experience more enjoyable and improve your ability to manuver harder trails. The next expense most of us face after the basic lift are Tires/Wheels and the need for protection (sliders, bumpers, winch etc). We all can agree you can go as far as your wallet will let you. We made these kits as a Basic setup to get you started. I hope this helps...........

Last edited by Strap22; 08-08-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by callmej75
I got the 901's and don't have any of the above. Brake lines have plenty of play because the swaybar keeps it from hyperextending them. Brakes work good. Hate the wheel sticking out farther on the drivers side but the driveshaft hits nothing. It works good as it is...but it don't work good with stock shocks. I learned the hard way by breaking the weld on the shock eyelet.
Ouch! I have to believe the OME901s give you a lot less lift than the cruiser coils. I have cruiser coils and there is NO WAY the stock rear brake line would work (off road that is, it may work on the street but if you flexed the rear axle with longer aftermarket shocks, the brake line would be lucky to survive). While we're at it, the brake line that needs extending is the one that runs from the top of the rear diff to the fitting near the brake proportioning valve that is mounted higher up near the frame cross member. The individual brake lines that run into the rear brake drums are fine. Check out these threads for more info on Cruiser Coils and rear lift options for the 2nd gen 4Runners.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...r+shock+thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...6&page=1&pp=25
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...9&page=1&pp=25

Last edited by PAhydrohead; 08-09-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

I have to believe the OME901s give you a lot less lift than the cruiser coils. I have cruiser coils and there is NO WAY the stock rear brake line would work (off road that is, it may work on the street but if you flexed the rear axle with longer aftermarket shocks, the brake line would be lucky to survive).
You are correct. The cruiser coils are longer than the OME901's. That was not the issue. He wanted to know what else he would need to make the OME's work. Like I said in my earlier post the OME kits we are offering are a complete setup to get you started. You can continue to add anything else you like and find you need based on the type of use you will be putting your 4runner though. There are all kinds of options to lifting a 2nd generation 4runners and each of us need to do the research and make up our mind what direction we are going to go. Having studied different setups the OME's are a straight forward user friendly setup that is competitvely priced. The parts are matched to the vehicle and carry a great warranty. The other options available out there all have their place too.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

What is the Rear control arm truss? I have looked at a lot of the second gen lift threads and I may have overlooked that, but what does it look like? I get the idea, it probably beefs up the control arms, but a pic would be cool. I can't wait till tax time, gather the rest of the lift parts and redo the front end.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...ents/index.htm
Scroll down to IFS truss....it goes between your lower control arms to keep them from knocking your alignment off...strengthening them.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
What is the Rear control arm truss? I have looked at a lot of the second gen lift threads and I may have overlooked that, but what does it look like? I get the idea, it probably beefs up the control arms, but a pic would be cool. I can't wait till tax time, gather the rest of the lift parts and redo the front end.

This is a rear Truss compliments of Deathrunner here on Yota Tech.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by strap22
He wanted to know what else he would need to make the OME's work...The other options available out there all have their place too.
Ooops, you're right Strapp, the rear lift setup I have is probably considered the next step beyond what you guys are discussing. Hope I didn't confuse everybody
Old 08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Little off subject but nice 4unner hydrohead!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by callmej75
Little off subject but nice 4unner hydrohead!
Hey thanks, while we're highjacking, how do you like your 40 series flowmaster? Does it resonate inside the truck so its hard to hear the radio? I have a 50 series and it sounds great with my headers (at least it did until the tailpipe connector cracked off the header, now all I can hear is..ahh noise) I'm wondering if the 40 series would get to be annoying on a long trip.

Bill
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by PAhydrohead
Ooops, you're right Strapp, the rear lift setup I have is probably considered the next step beyond what you guys are discussing. Hope I didn't confuse everybody
Hey thats OK. I just wanted to keep this thread on subject. As for the next step, it could be for some as well as a SAS. We all start somewhere and depending on what you are looking to do and how far your wallet will let you go will ultimately be the deciding factor. Your Runner is looking good. Let me know if you ever need anything.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PAhydrohead
Hey thanks, while we're highjacking, how do you like your 40 series flowmaster? Does it resonate inside the truck so its hard to hear the radio? I have a 50 series and it sounds great with my headers (at least it did until the tailpipe connector cracked off the header, now all I can hear is..ahh noise) I'm wondering if the 40 series would get to be annoying on a long trip.

Bill
Only times I can hear it is at idle. Other than that its pretty quiet going down the road. Well I think the swampers drown alot of the noise too