Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing treads for mud and A/T ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixing treads for mud and A/T ?

So I got a 92 P/U with 22re "lots of power upgrades", just ordered a All-Pro rear bumper and I'm planning on using this spare tire carrier I got from JC Whitney that just goes into receiver.
Since I have to buy a tire (spare) I figure I'll just buy 2 and use one of the old tires for spare. The tires on the trk now are BFG A/T 33x12.5 and they do fine on the trail but in mud they just turn into big "mud Doughnuts" haha.

Has anyone ran a mixed tire set IE. A/T on front and deeper tread tires in the back, just wondering if that will cause the trk to push or what they call understeer I think?

Also, on the subject of traction, can you have too much power transfer ie. using a Centerforce clutch with gripper tires, does that cause a problem with traction, out weighting power?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerjack
Has anyone ran a mixed tire set IE. A/T on front and deeper tread tires in the back, just wondering if that will cause the trk to push or what they call understeer I think?

Also, on the subject of traction, can you have too much power transfer ie. using a Centerforce clutch with gripper tires, does that cause a problem with traction, out weighting power?
Mixing different tires is usually a 2WD thing, for better traction out back. I wouldn't do it if you have 4WD, since you'd be better off with increased traction on all of the wheels. Theoretically there isn't anything wrong with it though.

As for too much traction, there isn't really any such thing off-road. It's more of an on-road drag-racing thing
Old 12-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

you're right, now that you mentioned it, maybe, I could buy all new tire and sell the full set of A/T here?

I was just thinking with the power -traction issue, 22re generate power in higher RPM's with less torque, by not allowing engine to "spine" in mud seems like you would just dump the clutch and die?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM

Personally I wouldnt mix tires on a 4x4 that sees street/trail use. I have seen some competition rigs run mixed tires for DEEP mud, but thats it.

Nope, no such this as too much traction....
Old 12-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Only thing that could hurt you I think is different size tires but same gear ratio front and back, since both systems turn together. That's why its bad to turn 4WD on, on road. Off-road though, it should be a problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

THX 4 Replys...maybe "once again I'm over thinking it. You would have to go way agressive with tread to make a dif me thinks...
I just don't want to plop down the plastic for 4 when I need only one....
Anybody got a A/T 33x12.5 they could sell?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:08 AM

If you mix tires don't expect to do any high speed (+30mph) in 4wd. If you do you're better off leaving it in 2wd due to the different diameters of the tires. Even if they're the same size, unless they just happen to be the same actual diamter you'll always have some slipping when in 4wd since the center differential is locked. So if you drive down a snow covered road in 4wd the vehicle will constantly be fishtailing, and when you turn the wheel for a corner you'll slide through it like a rally car. Very fun, but you have to be up on the wheel all the time and it gets tiring after a while.

Be warned you won't get the full benefit of mud tires in stuff that's heavier than campbells soup as the 22RE likely won't spin them fast enough to clean good. I've been in mud where I can't even spin 31" A/T's, as in I can't even redline it in 1st gear low range. In lighter stuff you can spin and clean them, but it's stuff you probably could drive through with AT's anyhow.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Always buy tires for a 4x4 in sets of 4 or 5. You should be able to find a used tire good enough for a spare.