Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you mount a hi lift to the TJM T15?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you mount a hi lift to the TJM T15?

Anyone here done that? I'd like to mount my hi lift to my TJM and am looking for ideas on what you used and how you mounted a hi lift to the TJM. (And just saying go to the hardware store and buy some mounts that work isn't very helpful)

John
Old 06-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

John,
Are you interested in something like this? This is an oldr pic, but I'll take some better ones and provide you the details on making the mounts. These are really solid and I've had no issues with the hi-lift on the bumper. I only put it on the bumper when hading off on an offroad trip or deploying on a SAR mission.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Those look similar to the Fourtrek mounts I am using for the Hi-Lift on my roof.
https://www.yotatech.com/wiki/index..../Shovel_Mounts

John, if you have the bars all aways cross like Roadrunner's, there is no reason the ring mount setup would not work for you.

There are a few different outfits that make these ring setups for the Hi-Lift.
You would just have to measure your bar and get the correct diameter rings.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Road runner, I PM'd you on another forum - didn't know you were on this forum. But I ended up having a little "L" bracket fabbed up and mounted it to the tabs of the TJM where most people put their lights. I'll post pics soon.

John

Last edited by Mojo_Risin; 06-09-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 AM

So here are some pics of what I came up with to mount my hi-lift style jack to the TJM. Since I don't have lights mounted on the provided tabs - and never plan to it I decided to use the built in tabs as the mounting points for the jack. I had some "L" brackets fabbed up and drilled holes to accommodate some 1/2" hardware. The hi lift is secured with 2 wing nuts for easy removal and mounting as I will only put this on when I hit the trails. Pics...

Brackets as they sit without hi lift on the mounts..

Closeup of the jack mounted:

On the trail...

John

Last edited by Mojo_Risin; 06-12-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Looks good John.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Banned

I like that, if I didnt have mine attached to my tire carrier id do something like that.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 AM
Contributing Member

Neat idea except for two things...

1, You can't mount lights there anymore and have them be protected by the hoops...
2, The jack is blocking the view of the lights...

Why not have a shop weld on some flanges to the top of the bars like the ARB has and mount it like the ARB? That way you can have full use of your stock headlights and still have room for another set all while being protected by the hoops...? I like the way you are thinking, I have a LoadWarrior but don't like to run it while on the trail unless I have to due to trying to keep as much weight as low as possible so I like the idea of mounting the HiLift to the bumper. Though I can't take the credit for the idea I have an arb and used some grade 8 bolts/lugs and some body mounts to attach my HiLift to my bumper. I wouldn't think it would be to expensive/hard to weld on a couple flanges. Might be something to look into/food for thought...

Here is a pic of how mine mounts to the ARB...
Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 AM

This is kind of off topic but does anyone know how you could lock your high lift in. Mine slides into the two slots on the side of my bed. There are holes drilled in the brackets that I'll have to use somehow.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
Neat idea except for two things...

1, You can't mount lights there anymore and have them be protected by the hoops...
2, The jack is blocking the view of the lights...

Why not have a shop weld on some flanges to the top of the bars like the ARB has and mount it like the ARB?
Yeah, I've seen it mounted on the top bar of TJM and the ARB but I didn't want to be looking through/over it above my hood. I also didn't want to have to modify the TJM with new tabs especially since I don't need auxiliary lights, never will... I don't off road at night. Same with the headlight obstruction - just not a big concern for me.

It works for me - definately not a solution for the masses.

As for locking - maybe yuo could uses a bike cable with a padlock through your holes on your mounts.

John

Last edited by Mojo_Risin; 06-13-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:41 PM

keep it inside

I had my jack mounted on the bumper for a while for cool factor but found it to be lame idea. I used factory hi-lift mounts I bought from Northern.

Even I sprayed it well with chain lube, rack was corroding on a hurry and constantly asking thieves "please still me".

Nowdays I keep it mounted inside, it is safe there, nice and dry.

I kept outside bumper mounts tho, in case I need full cargo space. With marlin bumper coming to replace my old rear bumper I will move rack mounts to the front or to the spare tire carrier I have in mind... just to keep second mounting option

Last edited by EUROJulian; 06-17-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
John,
Are you interested in something like this? This is an oldr pic, but I'll take some better ones and provide you the details on making the mounts. These are really solid and I've had no issues with the hi-lift on the bumper. I only put it on the bumper when hading off on an offroad trip or deploying on a SAR mission.

This is kind of off topic but how did you get in to SAR? I'm an airman in the Civil Air Patrol and we do ground missions looking for plains on occasion but I really want to do SAR.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

PM sent.

Originally Posted by Red3.slow
This is kind of off topic but how did you get in to SAR? I'm an airman in the Civil Air Patrol and we do ground missions looking for plains on occasion but I really want to do SAR.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Page 32 of the new July/August issue of 4WD Toyota Owner magazine has the Fourtrek mounts on the top bars of an ARB bumper.