Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front lockright. is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front lockright. is this normal?

Sorry if it's a bit rude posting a question as my first post but I'm slightly worried about this locker.

I've just installed a lockright locker into my 1986 4runner. I have a mechanical mind and found the install to be fairly easy and I'm pretty sure I did everything right.

When I went for a test drive I found the locker would unlock sometimes (resulting in normal steering) and not unlock other times (severe understeer and super hard to turn the wheel). I was driving slowly in 1st/2nd gear in high ratio 4WD on a road and on some dirt. The problem was worse on the road.

Is this normal for on a road, and in the bush its less noticeable?

Thought I should add: I had researched this before the install and was expecting irregular steering... just wasnt expecting NO steering!

Last edited by ozrunner; 05-23-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving on high-traction surfaces (street) with 4 wheel drive alone isn't a good idea, could lead to binding and other issues. With a locker that should be magnified.

I'm sure others will chime in on what exactly is going on but your steering should be hampered with a front locker on a street.

Offroad though, it will handle differently.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Is this happening in 2WD or 4WD? I have a V6 lockright in my front axle but I have a solid axle. I think that it would be silly to install one in a 7.5" IFS front diff.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM

I am aware that 4wd isnt made for street but like I said, I was testing the locker to make sure it locks and unlocks correctly. If this is normal for on road thats great. I was just a bit worried and wanted to check.

Sea, why would a locker in a 7.5" be bad?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of lockright. The things you are encountering is the very reason I am yanking the lockright out of my 87, and installing a spool.

The locker in the 7.5" isn't really the worst idea ever, but dont plan on super hardcore wheeling. Otherwise you will be breaking stuff. Lockers=breakage.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 AM

I found some dirt/mud/gravel etc. and the locker was fine. I guess I shouldnt have expected much from a road. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Welcome to the wonderful world of lockright. The things you are encountering is the very reason I am yanking the lockright out of my 87, and installing a spool.

The locker in the 7.5" isn't really the worst idea ever, but dont plan on super hardcore wheeling. Otherwise you will be breaking stuff. Lockers=breakage.
I think that is a misconception. It depends on how you drive and if you have manual hubs. I think you're less likely to break a CV w/ lockers because you never have one wheel spinning in the air and then coming down and shock-loading the CV. If you're locked up all around, you're going to have every wheel turning the same speed, unless you're turning and the outside wheels ratchet.

Yes, you will have understeer on solid surfaces (bitumen, concrete, slick rock, etc.) At times you'll have a little understeer on dirt / sand. That's why a twin-stick is looking appealing to me. Next time the T/Case comes down, twin-sticks are going in.

Obviously, with manual hubs, the CVs won't be turning at all when you're in 2WD w/ hubs unlocked. In addition, if you are reasonable with the skinny pedal, everything fares better.