Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Toyota u-bolt flip kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Toyota u-bolt flip kit?

I hope this is the best place for this.

I was in the junkyard today looking around and found an old toyota 1 ton camper 2wd. (1980? or so, sorry to the guys who appreciate the older ones, this had 4 headlights). I was thinking of grabbing the rear springs and mounts off of it. My rear springs are kind of saggy, and the mounts for these springs would incorporate a factory u bolt flip kit (due to it going from SUA to SOA).
The yard wants $100 for everything if they take it off. The springs measure 48" but I'm curious why shops always list springs for 89-95 trucks and then a couple of earlier sets. Will these springs bolt up under my truck? Anyone have any thoughts as to if it's worth it? or if my flex will tremendously suffer with the 1 ton springs?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM

OK, so nobody has any opinion on that one? I also have another question. The same junkyard has another older 4x4 and it looks like it has a factory anti torque bar. It mounts to the top of the leaf spring mount on the axle and to the front leaf spring mount on the frame. Anyone ever see one of these? and do they work good? It looks like the truck originally had two (one on each side) and someone had already taken one off. Would anyone use this or the 1 ton springs from the post above?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=91diesel;51115993]. The same junkyard has another older 4x4 and it looks like it has a factory anti torque bar. QUOTE]

This 'anti torque bar' cancels out the forward to backward movement of the front axle allowing the 'push/pull' steering found on factory solid axles to work. a retrofit would work on a street driven rig, but i think you would find it unnecessary and limiting on the trail.
my .02
Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 PM

This anti-wrap/torque bar is on the rear axle, not the front.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 91diesel
OK, so nobody has any opinion on that one? I also have another question. The same junkyard has another older 4x4 and it looks like it has a factory anti torque bar. It mounts to the top of the leaf spring mount on the axle and to the front leaf spring mount on the frame. Anyone ever see one of these? and do they work good? It looks like the truck originally had two (one on each side) and someone had already taken one off. Would anyone use this or the 1 ton springs from the post above?
Look something like this?

I ran a set for a while (after market parts) but they did not seem to do a whole lot.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM

yep, that's exactly what it looked like. Thanks for the information. Any thoughts on the 1 ton springs? how bad will it kill flex? Of course I use my truck more often as a truck then a no holds barred 4 wheeler.