Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expedition Modifications (LOCKER?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition Modifications (LOCKER?)

I will be heading out on a month trip to the interior of Mexico in my '91 4Runner 3.0 for some exploratory caving. Suring the trip, I will be taking some very scenic, but extremely remote former logging trails that have been out of use for ten of years.

So here are the considerations I must deal with. Leaving from Austin, despite the rugged terrain I will deal with at the end, I will 85% be driving on highway. So consideration #1, any modifications need to be highway prudent. I can't build a rock crawler for this trip.

The final 15% will be former logging trails. My understanding is the ruts left are fairly wide, so short of getting a wider vehicle, I am hosed on that. I am hoping the clearence will be enough with my 31" BFG's. The terrain is generally VERY steep and rocky (roads just blown out of mountain.) So I won't be rock crawling, but I will be driving pretty damn slow.

I will be taking 2 spares, replacement fluids, recovery strap, hi-lift (though still never used it and not sure where I would be able to lift the truck from since it is on stock bumpers.) In addition to these any advice on modifications?

I was thinking a rear locker, but don't know if that is really necessary and what it all entails. If so, do I get an auto, pros cons? Would it be better to get a winch?

There will be a caravan of 4 vehicles (all Toyotas of course) on this trip. We have to take fuel and water in which is quite a demand when it comes to weight. I added air shocks which seem to work pretty well. Now if only I could free up more ponies. This weekend we are fab'ing a custom cross over to help is breath a little, but I doubt this will change performance much.

Obviously I need reliable mods. Anyone with any experience. I've read BajaTaco's page which has some great ideas, although I don't know if I will install a lift yet.

Thanks for listening and any ideas.

JJ
Old 03-31-2006, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With 4 trucks available I would consider bringing a least one spare part of anything that could be a showstopper. i.e alternator etc. and of course tools and someone who knows how to use them.

I've explored Baja before and breaking down in the middle of nowhere Baja is NOT an option. IF you have 4 trucks skip the locker. From the sounds of what you are going to do you don't need to modify your truck. Stock 4runners work pretty darn well. Spend the money on spare parts and tools. And LOTS of H2O and GAS cans.

There are some pretty big distances between gas stations in Baja. And watch out for speed bumps in the middle of the highway! lol Not kidding! Usually near towns.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A locker makes such an amazing difference while wheeling that once you get one, you will wonder how you ever got by without it. Ask me how I know. People love to hate auto lockers but they do the job well, that is your call, not going into it here.
As far as the hi lift, get a second strap and some d-rings so you can use it as a hand winch if necessary, you will be surprised to find that sometimes a truck can't pull you out, a come along stretches too much to be any good, but a hi lift will pop you right out, I have used mine extensively and love it. You can get a hi lift lift mate, which is a set of hooks for the tires, you hook them in the holes in the rims and lift with the hi lift, it works pretty well. I have seen a whole truck lifted by the sheetmetal on a hi lift, it isn't pretty, but in an emergency you could do it. Make sure you have good solid front and rear recovery points. I agree with the gas statement, carry a couple jerry cans of gas just in case, I have not been out there, but I would say top off whenever you see a station, regardless of it only being 1/8 of a tank down, you just never know.
Pick up an air compressor, even a cheap on like the MV-1050, even without a tank it can reseat a bead, I have done 2 in the last couple weeks.
Otherwise, just what everyone else said, fluids, tools, maybe a haynes manual, auxiliary lighting.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:51 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least one of the four needs a winch.

You need the accessory kit for the HiLift (to turn it into a winch) also. Seriously - read through here about recovery equipment and make sure it is covered (and then some) between the 4 of you.

You should take CV axle(s) and any other part that would leave you stranded if it went. I don't necessarily agree about the alternator though. You could swap out batteries with one of the other four trucks - you can drive a LONG way on just the battery. (This is the kind of thinking you need to go through about what to bring)

Manual hubs would be a good mod - if something serious happened to the front drive, at least you could safely drive in 2WD.

I would skip the locker.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Make sure you extend the diff breathers on all the trucks. a watered down diff in the middle of nowhere may cause you to donate a truck to the local scenery! maybe a dual battery set up and some sort of filter screen to clean out the local gas as well as some octane booster/cleaner. (I got a bad tank of fuel in Mexico before)
Old 03-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tc
just emphasizing.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc

thats not a suggestion thats a "your crasy if you do the trip and DONT have one along"

If it was me, i wouldnt do the trip without the following

(spare parts of course)

but ARB bumper (or other TJM ETC) front bumper. rear trailer hitch and or replacement bumper.

In exchange for a front only mounted winch i would go with the portable "attahed to a base plate that fits in a 2" reciver" version. that way you have the option of moveing from vehical to vehical, and from front AND rear.

Theres no way i would make the trip without a pull pall to go with

highlift, chain, shackels(d-rings), shovel, axle

Locker will get you much farther down the trail with out haveing to winch. but sooner or later you get stuck and wish you had the winch regarless if you have a locker or not.

OBA of some sort (perferably electric or belt driven as an empty CO2 tank does you no good)
Old 03-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd agree with the other postings about the difference a locker makes. I am still amazed. But, with only one vehicle locked, the others might be hard to follow. Hi-Lift makes an accesory to hook on to stock bumpers. Now if the stock bumpers stay on the vehicle...

CB or other communication would be nice, maybe GPS and topos if available.

What if you make one vehicle fully trail worthy? Everyone could pitch in and put in a locker, winch, lift etc. This super rig could really help get others through obstacles, or all could pile into it for the last segment of trail if things get too rough.

I guess the owner of the aformentioned super vehicle would have to suffer with a new winch, lift and locker installed on their rig for years after the trip, but maybe the sacrifice would be worth it.

Now, who's vehicle want's to become the Mule?
Old 04-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive done a lot of Baja driving. The terrain is pretty desolate, but, the main thing is that you are out in the middle of nowhere, so if you get screwed, your really screwed.

Definetly get a tire repair kit, compressed air, or hell I guess with 2 spares you'll be okay.

A shovel is always nice if you get stuck. Digging out a rig is great fun!

Just drive careful, and you'll be fine.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about a

http://bajagpsguide.com/index.php

. . . although it sounds like you already have your route planned.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM

i'm going to baja next summer, and i must have a winch before i go, from what i've heard it's damn near a must, just because of the location. you can make your own rear bumper for about $150 and will be able to use a hi-lift.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

If you haven't found them yet, you should also visit another favorite site of mine:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/

A ton of expedition-related knowledge on EP.

You might want to consider renting a satellite phone for your trip.

Last edited by Roadrunner; 11-16-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gps, maps, water, gas and spare parts