Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover SAS for 85-95

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover SAS for 85-95

I dont know how many of you guys have seen this but i thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/index/coilover.htm

is this something you guys would buy?

also just curios i know a pros and cons between coilover and leafs but im sure i dont know all of them. so maybe you guys could enlighten me.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

I dunno much about the diffs between em but I do know coils flex like a mofo. If I had the cash and I did an SAS I'd definately look into coils. I do know that 2nd gen Runners (coil sprung) ride better and control their rear axles better then my truck does
Old 07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Coils can ride better too. Not sure if i'd go that route because i'm sure the price is gonna be thru the roof. I'd also want to see some more info on it, a ramp test isn't really much, just shows the springs can flex.

Cool idea though.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:40 AM

I would do it if I had the cash.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers are infinitely adjustable, rebuildable and revalvable.

Leafs suck you in and then you are at their mercy for sagging, etc.

The biggest problem with that kit is using a stock Toy front axle, it gets extremely congested for mounting locations. The axle is too darn narrow.

On top of that, with leaves in the rear, you have this awesome soft front and way stiff rear. As you can see in the pick, the front is doing all the work.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 PM

i asked the guys at marlin if they were working on anything like that they said that they have thought about but have too many other things they see are more imprtant. but i asked them to take a guess at how much this kit would cost and they guessed around 2300. i mean it seems that the coilovers is the most expensive part pricing at around 500 for each coilover.

if i did do that kit than i would only have leafs in the back temporarily. once i gained enough cash i would make the back cilovers as well.

seeing this though has made me think about doing the coilover instead of leafs. my friend fabs suspensions, rollcages, bumpers, etc. and he said he could probably help me out with this and it would be a bit cheaper.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 AM

It is really easy to get into coilovers for a grand and another grand for steel. Much more than that and people will be priced out of this.

A Front Range or other wider custom axle would make this super cool.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Contributing Member

Adrian, isn't that your shop? If not, then there is a remarkably similar person to you who works there.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Adrian, isn't that your shop? If not, then there is a remarkably similar person to you who works there.
He used to work there, now he works somewhere else.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:48 AM

I would totally go for it. Especially if you are even tickling the idea of doing coilovers in the rear too. Especially here in San Diego, there are so many fab shops that could help you out. Hell, have you ever seen some of the complex prerunners with coilover setups? Something like that would be simple for some of the shops.

Flex will definitely improve with the coilover's, but I don't know about street driving and high speed offroad. The ride will definitely be softer, but I think it will be tippy. I've heard from some of the guys with coilovers on thier prerunners, that they missed thier torsions for cornering ability. I'm sure you could stiffen up the coilover's with more nitrogen or stiffer coils, though.

Now for the rear, stock leaves aren't gonna flex near the front, but a set of Deavers or chevy's will flex pretty well (You can get 20" with the shocks going through the bed). I have 62" springs over the axle and pulling about 15" of travel with shocks under the bed. But if you are gonna do coilovers in the front, you better just plan on doing the rear too.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Help?/Thread Hijack

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

Leafs suck you in and then you are at their mercy for sagging, etc.

The biggest problem with that kit is using a stock Toy front axle, it gets extremely congested for mounting locations. The axle is too darn narrow.
Some help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I started saving up for the FROR Axle and ORS Coilover kit and planned on doing it (or something similar) next year or so. I looked under my truck a few weeks ago and the Lifted IFS in in bad shape (very bent brackets). I don't want to put any more $$$ into fixing IFS, ORS Kit isn't available yet (they say September), I reluctantly had myself talked into leafs and a std. Toy axle but after reading this I am having second thoughts.

Unforturnatley I don't weld, so doing a spring swap seems much easier using a local welder and doing the rest of the labor myself. Also doesn't seem worth doing coilovers without the FROR axle. I would like to keep 4" lift and the 33's until the Kids are a little bigger and I can afford new MTR's and a regear. Also concerned about on road ride as the less grief it causes the Family the easier it is to do more.

Any Suggestions ?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Coilovers will give you a better ride on road than leafs, and great off road. But, there is a fair bit of welding, i think, since you have to have all the links welded to the frame and the axle, shock hoops, etc...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 AM

its definitely out of the price range of most that are looking to do a solid axle swap...and as Adrian mentioned a wider axle, such as a FROR or FJ80, D60 etc would make this a sweet setup...otherwise you can see how tight the mounting spots are on the toyota 8 inch.
im sure it works well setup this way..but if your already spending nearly 2500 just on suspension you better go full width cut down or custom axle.
as for the rear...a properly setup rear leaf sprung suspension would compliment this well but it would have to consist of some good springs like Alcan or Deaver with 14-15" Bilsteins/BBCS rear shocks setup vertically.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:54 AM

Freeway Safe?

I took a jog over to their website. Is this setup (assuming average skill installation) going to be freeway safe? Or even street legal? As much as I like this lift for it's attributes, I need freeway ability... can't afford the tow rig and trailer yet .

I remember reading years ago on www.off-road.com that a few had experimented with front coil spring setups on Toyotas, and had created vehicles unsafe on the pavement... too unstable.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 PM

That was me.

Coilovers give controlled travel over the whole articulation window. They also give body roll. That is an off road tuned suspension that is streetable. I have driven that truck and wheeled with it. The limit is the front axle.

Real world opinion from a guy who is in this boat and had a better chance to do it than most? If you truly "need" coilover performance and have a discerning enough driving style and ability to tell the difference between identical travel windows with coils versus leaves, you likely do not want this on a bodied rig. Why? You are going to drive it like a tube car and kill the body. Putting this kit on a Toy axle is like screwing a hooker with a condom. Why bother really? It begs for a wide axle and dollars.

Guesstimates? 2k in kit, 3k in a built FROR axle plus install labor/time. Now you front is likely way wider than the rear, so there is more coin there.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, seems like it's too much money anyway, unless you are going for a full tubed buggy. Nice idea though.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
If you truly "need" coilover performance and have a discerning enough driving style and ability to tell the difference between identical travel windows with coils versus leaves,
That's not me, so leaves it is. Thanks for the first hand info and your invaluable insight.

One more question. If you only have money for either an ARB (front) or a FROR Axle with the Leaf SAS you'd pick the ARB right ? Can't imagine not having 2 lockers.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:16 PM

coilovers and link suspensions work on the street but they require ALOT of researching design and R&D obviously...check pirate for lots of GOOD info on 4 links for early generation toyotas...some real good info from those who have designed and built many.

however, leaves are tough to beat...especially if you go the extra mile and get some nice leaf springs.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobG
One more question. If you only have money for either an ARB (front) or a FROR Axle with the Leaf SAS you'd pick the ARB right ? Can't imagine not having 2 lockers.
YES, the ARB. One of my favorite things to do when I had IFS was to pull out SA trucks that had no lockers or only a rear. It was priceless.

In fact, I pulled the gray truck out in front of me back in Jan 2003.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Deaver leaf packs are incredible and will still be cheaper than coilover's I'd say do your SAS with deavers on all 4 corners and you will be more than happy with the ride, and flex.

I just took off the downey 3" pack which I had previoulsy been impressed with. It was a 4 leaf pack with thier AAL functioning as a softer-than-stock overload. The street ride was ok and the travel was about 8" with the stock shackle.

I now have a deaver 62" 11 leaf pack with 3 leaves removed. It actually compresses when I push down on the truck. I can't believe how compliant it is. More thinner leaves is way way way better than less fatter leaves. I can't wait to flex this thing out. As it stands I have 15 1/2" of useable rear travel. That's almost double what my Downey's were pulling.

The point is leafs prings get a bad wrap because people usually skimp on the leaves they buy. Either trying to go cheap with Chevy springs (Which actually do pretty good), getting the downey packs (Guilty as charged), or Skyjacker (Soft-Ride my A$$). A nice set of Deavers, Alcans, or Nationals are worth the money and can perform as well as coils.

Quick Reply: Coilover SAS for 85-95