Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget Lift

whats the best way to get some clearance? (on a budget)..... i was thinkin bigger shackles in rear and well i dont know what the best way to go with this is....any suggestions?¿
Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM

get bigger shackles on the rear and ball joint spacers in the front. then get a 2 inch or 3 for the body lift
Old 10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A suspension lift does not add clearance for IFS rigs - the bumpstops are still in the same place.

If you really want to fit bigger tires, you need a body lift. Or trim sheetmetal.

If you keep the tires narrow, you can fit a taller tire - namely a 33x10.50 with NO lift, NO trimming, and NO rubbing.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tc
A suspension lift does not add clearance for IFS rigs - the bumpstops are still in the same place.

If you really want to fit bigger tires, you need a body lift. Or trim sheetmetal.

If you keep the tires narrow, you can fit a taller tire - namely a 33x10.50 with NO lift, NO trimming, and NO rubbing.

Really? Hmm I think you should probally quit talking on this web site, if your going to give this type of info.

DONT ADD A BODY LIFT. If your doing any kind of off roading, this is so dangerous.

Now back to the question. Cheapest to most expensive.

A block under the rear leaf spring will yeild a little lift. As will a shackle. The best is to buy a set of lift springs for the rear, which you can buy a used set of chevy's. I havnt personally done this so you'll have to ask around.

In the front. Crank the torsion bars up. I DO NOT recommend this unless you want an ungodly rough ride, and poor off-road performance. The other is ball joint spacers( bj spacers). I havent done this either so im not sure on performace. The next is a drop bracket lift. You can usually buy these used to $200.00 around my home state. Check your local craigslist.

There is always the option of cutting fenders, but be carefull.

Last edited by premirrider; 11-04-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:24 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by premirrider
Really? Hmm I think you should probally quit talking on this web site, if your going to give this type of info.

DONT ADD A BODY LIFT. If your doing any kind of off roading, this is so dangerous.

Now back to the question. Cheapest to most expensive.

A block under the rear leaf spring will yeild a little lift. As will a shackle. The best is to buy a set of lift springs for the rear, which you can buy a used set of chevy's. I havnt personally done this so you'll have to ask around.

In the front. Crank the torsion bars up. I DO NOT recommend this unless you want an ungodly rough ride, and poor off-road performance. The other is ball joint spacers( bj spacers). I havent done this either so im not sure on performace. The next is a drop bracket lift. You can usually buy these used to $200.00 around my home state. Check your local craigslist.

There is always the option of cutting fenders, but be carefull.
Wow. Yet another newb claiming to be the omniscient 4 wheel god. Funny how all your posts have a "I haven't done this personally".

I will admit I wasn't thinking about bracket lifts with my statement - they do add some clearance, but no travel. So, a bracket lift is OK, but a body lift is no good? Guess what - they do the EXACT same thing, pretty much the same way. The big difference is with a body lift, you use the body mounts which ARE DESIGNED to ***surprise*** support the body, where a bracket lift adds the spacer to an element not designed for that loading.

Why do you think you can find bracket lifts so cheap? Because they SUCK.

Last edited by tc; 11-04-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:58 PM

I did a bracket lift & I'll throw in my 2 cents:

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably do a body & drive train lift.

I don't regret doing the bracket lift, I feel the SL kit is a good kit, but it was $700 & my transfer case hangs low.

Seems the cheapest way to make it most capable would be to listen to tc...33x10.50's, some lockers, & some armor