YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Offroad Tech (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Budget Lift (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/budget-lift-158089/)

MATTSRED 10-31-2008 03:50 PM

Budget Lift

whats the best way to get some clearance? (on a budget)..... i was thinkin bigger shackles in rear and well i dont know what the best way to go with this is....any suggestions?¿

4runnerguy 10-31-2008 03:57 PM

get bigger shackles on the rear and ball joint spacers in the front. then get a 2 inch or 3 for the body lift

tc 10-31-2008 04:28 PM

A suspension lift does not add clearance for IFS rigs - the bumpstops are still in the same place.

If you really want to fit bigger tires, you need a body lift. Or trim sheetmetal.

If you keep the tires narrow, you can fit a taller tire - namely a 33x10.50 with NO lift, NO trimming, and NO rubbing.

premirrider 11-04-2008 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tc (Post 50959744)
A suspension lift does not add clearance for IFS rigs - the bumpstops are still in the same place.

If you really want to fit bigger tires, you need a body lift. Or trim sheetmetal.

If you keep the tires narrow, you can fit a taller tire - namely a 33x10.50 with NO lift, NO trimming, and NO rubbing.

Really? Hmm I think you should probally quit talking on this web site, if your going to give this type of info.

DONT ADD A BODY LIFT. If your doing any kind of off roading, this is so dangerous.

Now back to the question. Cheapest to most expensive.

A block under the rear leaf spring will yeild a little lift. As will a shackle. The best is to buy a set of lift springs for the rear, which you can buy a used set of chevy's. I havnt personally done this so you'll have to ask around.

In the front. Crank the torsion bars up. I DO NOT recommend this unless you want an ungodly rough ride, and poor off-road performance. The other is ball joint spacers( bj spacers). I havent done this either so im not sure on performace. The next is a drop bracket lift. You can usually buy these used to $200.00 around my home state. Check your local craigslist.

There is always the option of cutting fenders, but be carefull.

tc 11-04-2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by premirrider (Post 50962658)
Really? Hmm I think you should probally quit talking on this web site, if your going to give this type of info.

DONT ADD A BODY LIFT. If your doing any kind of off roading, this is so dangerous.

Now back to the question. Cheapest to most expensive.

A block under the rear leaf spring will yeild a little lift. As will a shackle. The best is to buy a set of lift springs for the rear, which you can buy a used set of chevy's. I havnt personally done this so you'll have to ask around.

In the front. Crank the torsion bars up. I DO NOT recommend this unless you want an ungodly rough ride, and poor off-road performance. The other is ball joint spacers( bj spacers). I havent done this either so im not sure on performace. The next is a drop bracket lift. You can usually buy these used to $200.00 around my home state. Check your local craigslist.

There is always the option of cutting fenders, but be carefull.

Wow. Yet another newb claiming to be the omniscient 4 wheel god. Funny how all your posts have a "I haven't done this personally".

I will admit I wasn't thinking about bracket lifts with my statement - they do add some clearance, but no travel. So, a bracket lift is OK, but a body lift is no good? Guess what - they do the EXACT same thing, pretty much the same way. The big difference is with a body lift, you use the body mounts which ARE DESIGNED to ***surprise*** support the body, where a bracket lift adds the spacer to an element not designed for that loading.

Why do you think you can find bracket lifts so cheap? Because they SUCK.

[N8] 11-04-2008 05:58 PM

I did a bracket lift & I'll throw in my 2 cents:

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably do a body & drive train lift.

I don't regret doing the bracket lift, I feel the SL kit is a good kit, but it was $700 & my transfer case hangs low.

Seems the cheapest way to make it most capable would be to listen to tc...33x10.50's, some lockers, & some armor :)