Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On-board welder

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On-board welder

I posted this in the truck section, but on thinking about it I figured it is a pretty specialized piece of equipment and the correct audience would be over here in the off-road section.

http://readywelder.com/rwss10000.php

I have a chance to buy these portable welders at a discounted price, if I can get enough interest. I have used them in the past, and they are a very capable repair tool to use on the trail or at home. They will run on 12 volts, but really need 24 or 36 volts for repair work. Since I already have a dual battery set-up on my truck, it will be easy to convert to 24 V to run this. Anybody else interested? Current retail price is around $ 470, and my price will depend on how many people are interested. Please PM me and let me know.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Anybody else interested in this. I want to put the order in this coming week. I should have a final price on Monday or Tuesday so if you are interested let me know so I can get back to you with the pricing. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:43 PM

i might be
Old 07-07-2003, 09:34 PM

So how much are they going to cost?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like the price on these is $379 plus shipping. I'm not making any money on these, just want one for myself and the best price I can get for it. If more people are interested I may be able to get a lower price, but nobody has said yes for sure so I can't count on a quantity discount. Let me know if you think it would be cool to be able to weld up repairs on the trail, or if you just want a decent quality repair tool for the shop. PM or Email me if you want one. I'll probably wait until next Monday to put in the order.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by aldenrower
So how much are they going to cost?
I tried to go to your web page, but the URL didn't work??

You're located near me so I was trying to check out your stuff.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by upndair
I tried to go to your web page, but the URL didn't work??
Looks like the goodgrinds.com domain name existed but it expired back on May 8th...
Old 07-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Anybody else in on this? I need to put the order in by the end of the week, and the more people I get to commit, the cheaper I can get them. Right now they would be $379 plus shipping to your door. Regular retail for this model is $560 and the cheapest I've found them is $470. Pretty versatile little machine, even if you just use it around the garage with a couple of spare batteries. 12 volt can weld sheet metal, 24 volt gets you new shock mounts, relocated bump stops, weld on shackle recovery points, an exhaust with joints that don't leak. I'm starting to sound like a rep. for these guys. I'm not making any money on this, I just want the lowest price to buy one for myself, and to offer the same deal to anyone on this board. Let me know via PM or E mail. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

In case anyone else had the same questions:

[quote]

and i have one more Q, when and how do i pay for this thing?

and, i guess more than one Q, how does it work with what looks like no voltage regulator, or box? you cant regulate it, can you?
It would only be less than $379 if I get more than 5 people committed to buying, which doesn't look likely, and $379 is the max. For payment, I have a paypal account, although I have no idea how it works because I've only used it to give other people money. Otherwise I could take a money order or similar mailed to me, and figure out the shipping ahead of time. As for regulation, the voltage is set at whatever the configuration is for your batteries, 12 volt, 24v or 36v, depending on how many batteries you use. Amperage is controlled by an adjustment knob on the handle. That is why these things can weld very thick metal, voltage is controlled, but amperage is limited only by the size and length of the wires coming from the batteries. I think I figured I could run 24 volts at over 200 amps with the wiring included and the control set wide open. Enough to fix a broken frame or such to get you back out to a trail head. Let me know.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by MNBOY
Amperage is controlled by an adjustment knob on the handle.
Um, not exactly. Please make sure you have your facts straight, you don't want anyone going in on this deal getting pissed at you because you gave them incorrect information.

From the FAQ...

3.) Does the trigger control power to the tip and does the wire feed speed control knob adjust the amperage level fed to the electrode?
Answer: No in both cases. The trigger controls wire feed(on-off) and gas flow but does not control power feeding to the tip. The tip is live whenever the RW-II is connected to power source. The red plastic connectors in the RW-II power cable are designed to be easily disconnected to de-power the welder between uses without having to disconnect the cables at the power source. The wire feed control knob only indirectly affects the amperage transmitted based upon the physical volume of wire being fed to the bead,and this effect is usually moderate. Use of thinner wire,say .023" will reduce amperage to some extent.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Shane
Um, not exactly. Please make sure you have your facts straight, you don't want anyone going in on this deal getting pissed at you because you gave them incorrect information.

From the FAQ...
Sorry Shane. You're correct in that the control knob does not regulate the amperage, but in use at 24 volts with flux core wire, the end result of adjusting the knob is very similar. I'm thinking of the limited use I had in beta testing this unit for the company some time ago, but others usage will probably vary greatly, and folks used to using 220v shop MIGs will find it very different to use. The feed speed adjustment works decent to help control the weld, but nothing like a good quality Miller unit or such, and as you pointed out, it isn't truly amperage control. I'm hoping anyone interested in this will follow the link I posted to the Ready Welder site and get as much information as possible before considering buying one, but maybe I'm assuming too much. In any case, it looks like there are not too many people interested in putting this much money into a trail repair tool. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:21 PM

Just to add to this, even on the big machines you typically adjust voltage and wire speed. Amperage ends up being a function of those other two variables as well as the wire size. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying this is a bad unit, in fact it would be quite a bit easier to use in my opinion than just batteries and welding rod. Just be aware that you don't have as many "taps" to choose from or infinite control that you would find on a full-fledged unit.

The cool thing is they designed it so you can use shielding gas if you want. It's basically a modified version of a real spool gun.

Aren't these the same guys who made the self-powered version? It looked like one of those "jumpstart" packs with a couple gel-cell batteries inside and a spool gun like this. Those units were pretty decent aside from the very short runtime from the tiny batteries. They could only do like 3/16" though.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Just a last post for this thread. I ordered these units last week, and in order to get better pricing I ordered one more than I need, which is now up for grabs. Final cost is $350 plus shipping, and I should be seeing the units at my door by the end of the week. If you are interested PM me, first one to let me know for sure gets it and we'll work out payment then. Thanks.