Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie Locker

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh, ouch!
Rubbing salt... in.. wounds

I'm working up to it
Old 10-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just remember guys that these lockers are not as transparent as an arb or elocker. For most of the time they will be great, but there are still drawbacks to this type of locker. The most important, and the reason I'm holding out for an arb, is that you can't turn them off. This can be a problem on the street in the snow and especially ice. Also, when sidehilling and the ground is muddy or otherwise slippery, it will make you slide downhill sideways because both your tires are slipping. Not good when you're on the side of a mountain with a 1000' drop off on the side.

This type of locker is nothing new, it's just more refined and slightly cheaper because of the intro price. You can get a lockright for about $250. Do your homework before you jump on the bandwagon and if you decide it'll work for you, then by all means go for it.

Here's more info from the prez of the company: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=179701
Old 10-03-2003, 04:25 PM

I may be interested in this locker. I understand all about the differences between an auto and a manual locker. For as much as I'd like an ARB, I'm not going to be able to afford the $600 for the locker, the $200 for the compressor, plus the labor fee to have it installed.

Is this really a drop in locker. Is it as easy as opening up the diff and popping it in? The Torq Masters website says it can be done with basic hand tools, and that if you can change brake pads, you can install an aussie locker. Hell, I can change brake pads... is it really reasonable to think I could install the aussie?

The aussie might be a good route to go until I can afford an ARB or have an e-locker retrofitted in.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jacksonpt
Is this really a drop in locker. Is it as easy as opening up the diff and popping it in? The Torq Masters website says it can be done with basic hand tools, and that if you can change brake pads, you can install an aussie locker. Hell, I can change brake pads... is it really reasonable to think I could install the aussie?
Pretty much, just like the lockright. Like I said, this type of locker is nothing new. If I were in the market for this type of locker I'd probably get the aussie because of the price and refinement.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Pretty much, just like the lockright. Like I said, this type of locker is nothing new. If I were in the market for this type of locker I'd probably get the aussie because of the price and refinement.
So in your opinion, it's the best buy of the automatic drop in style lockers? Can it compare to a detroit (automatic locker, but not drop in). In the past, I've heard that Detroit was the best option of the auto style lockers.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

I don't have any experience with the lockers so I can't really comment on which is better. I'll let the other guys comment on that.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

I had a LocRight in my 92 pickup. I hated it so much I paid the dealer to remove it and re-install the stock spider gears. I then immedialty ordered the 4Runner in 1998 with the e-locker. When the truck showed up it was a 99.

Anyway, here is the deal with the locright. It ticked lick crazy when you turned, so alot of people will tell you your truck is broaken, it pulled to the side when you shifted, the rear hoped around corners, you would hear a bang now and then.

But if you can install it your self, go for it. If you don't like it take it out and sell it on eBay.

It's better than nothing. Off Road it worked great.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

I understand the differences between the auto and the selectable, but for $200 if I don't like it I will just rip it back out and sell it. I know the consequences of driving in snow or ice with them but seeing that I live in the armpit of the south I don't think I really have to worry about that issue too much. Bill from Aussie Locker is a very nice guy to work with and he answered all my questions; therefore i feel safe buying his product. From what I've read on a few of the Jeep forums(such as NAXJA) everyone seems to like them a lot and the on-road manners are pretty predictable and they can hear a slight clicking from time to time but that's about it. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. This is just my locker for the mean time anyway, I plan on switching rear axles with one with the Toyota e-locker in a year or so anyway Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3:
the rear hopped around corners
Haha did you ever think it might have been because there was no weight back there. I had a 92 PU and that thinged hopped around corners with an open diff. Ok maybe not that drastic but that thing had a very light rear-end
Old 10-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Retrofit

I think after reading all this I'm still going to just retrofit an e-locker in my rig when I get the money. If I remember right the parts are around $700 and I can get it in myself with some help. Whatcha think?

Brian
Old 10-03-2003, 06:53 PM

I doubt the hopping was due to weight. I've got a Detroit in the rear and I get the hop. It's REALLY bad if I let off the gas(leave it in gear) and make a tight turn into a parking spot. I HAVE to put the clutch in. And I will confirm that automatic lockers are hell in ice. With my foot on the gas I would either be sliding right or left. As soon as I would take my foot off the gas I'd drive straight. I plan on getting chains for all four tires before this winter. The road to Mt. Baker isn't forgiving. I've seen too many cars in the ditch, and heard of too many people going over the edge.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
I had a LocRight in my 92 pickup. I hated it so much I paid the dealer to remove it and re-install the stock spider gears. I then immedialty ordered the 4Runner in 1998 with the e-locker. When the truck showed up it was a 99.

Anyway, here is the deal with the locright. It ticked lick crazy when you turned, so alot of people will tell you your truck is broaken, it pulled to the side when you shifted, the rear hoped around corners, you would hear a bang now and then.

But if you can install it your self, go for it. If you don't like it take it out and sell it on eBay.

It's better than nothing. Off Road it worked great.
This is exactly what you will hear from everyone that doesn't change their driving style when they put in an auto locker. If driven correctly you don't even know it is there on the street other than the clicking (sounds like horses trotting). You do have to change your driving style...
Old 10-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I have read just about every post on pirate4x4 about this locker, and I have to say that everyone that actually has one installed likes it and has had no problems with it. The fact that a rep from the company gets on the boards and answers questions is pretty cool, too. Kind of like guys like EB, Tim Jenkins, and Xtreme Mike who put their $$$ where their mouths are.

According to what someone on pirate posted, the intro price of these lockers continues until the end of the year. For 200 bones, it looks to be worth it. If it is as smooth as all these people are saying, then I think it would be an auto locker I could live with daily. I've been wanting to do the e-locker retrofit for so long, but the cost and the downtime to do it have been holding me back. I like the thought of being able to install a locker in a few hours with basic tools. And if I end up not liking it--- like someone else said-- pull it out and sell it and recoup some of the money. Consider it a lesson learned-- and a mighty inexpensive one at that.

I'm not worried about snow or ice either.

I don't think I'm jumping on any bandwagon either-- the description and operation of this locker takes away a lot of the fears I had about running an auto locker. Steve-- the complaints you had concerning noise and smoothness in your description of the LR sounds like a lot of things the Aussie is supposed to be better at. It's supposed to be a lot quiter and engage/disengage smoother. From what I've read of people's accounts, it lives up to that.

When I get mine, we'll see how it lives in my truck. Of course I won't be able to compare it to the LR , but I've ridden in other auto locker equipped vehicles, and at least I'll have some basis for comparison.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

I wasn't directing my comments toward anybody in particular. A lot of people on YT are kinda new to off roading and may not know the drawbacks to certain types of lockers, thus my comments. If you guys know what you're getting into, then I say go for it. $200 is tough to pass up.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Steve (Robinhood)-- I guess I should've specified which Steve I was replying to concerning the Lock Right comments.

Steve (Robinhood)--I was referring to your comments about the "bandwagon" thing-- but I don't take what you say lightly, either. I know you have a heck of a lot of experience, and so does Schaefer. You guys have the experience to back up your comments. I just wanted to make it clear that I see something that would suit my needs very well at a good price to boot. Maybe I took the bandwagon comment too seriously. No worries, man.

I do think what I pointed out about Steve Schaefer's concerns about the Lock Right is valid, though. The Aussie is "supposed" to be better in all the respects he complained about. I guess time will prove whether the Aussie locker's claims are true.

Not trying to stir anything up here, just wanted to clarify what I was saying.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

No problem Jeremy.