Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.70:1 gears vs. Dual tcase

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the good news is that I just ordered the tcase set with Marlin's 4.7 TS gears.

Bad news is that they are out a month and a half. I expect to see it in 2 months. Oh well, I can put it in when it's too hot to wheel the desert.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
Well, the good news is that I just ordered the tcase set with Marlin's 4.7 TS gears.

Bad news is that they are out a month and a half. I expect to see it in 2 months. Oh well, I can put it in when it's too hot to wheel the desert.

Thanks for all the info.
good deal. sucks on the waiting period though! not that i ever actively looked but this thread cleared up the differences between duals and just a lower tcase for me. i hope to be going to duals sometime in the future! (i see much more mud and dirt than i do rocks)
Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

I'm seriously considering 4.7 tcase gears as a mod. Not sure when it will be, but I think it's something that would be worth doing. I really need to find like 20K dollars laying on the street....man, that would definatley help.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
I'm seriously considering 4.7 tcase gears as a mod. Not sure when it will be, but I think it's something that would be worth doing. I really need to find like 20K dollars laying on the street....man, that would definatley help.
It is worth it.

They are only 450. It only hurts once.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
It is worth it.

They are only 450. It only hurts once.

I definatley think it's worth it.... I mean, I guess it would make a gear or two difference from what it is now on the trail, but how hard is it to change from Hi to low? And I'd say you should still be able to go pretty fast in 5th gear even with the lower tcase gears.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:33 AM

I definatley think it's worth it.... I mean, I guess it would make a gear or two difference from what it is now on the trail, but how hard is it to change from Hi to low? And I'd say you should still be able to go pretty fast in 5th gear even with the lower tcase gears.
Due to my recent engine troubles I haven't been able to wheel since installing mine...until this past weekend, I LOVE my 4.7's! Since it was just a shakedown run on my new engine it was an easy trail but I wondered if I was going to be TOO slow. I ended up running in low, 3rd or 4th most of the day and just dropping it down for obstacles. I have 34's on 4.10's with the 4.7:1 t-case gears and I found that I could run around 10 mph in 5th gear just under 3000 rpm. Obviously it will be lower once I have regeared the diffs, but it worked great. Crawling obstacles instead of bumping them was AMAZING!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

but how hard is it to change from Hi to low?
I do not understand your question. It is exactly the same as before, except you now have gearing that is twice as low. You just stop, put it in low, and go, exactly like when it was stock.

And I'd say you should still be able to go pretty fast in 5th gear even with the lower tcase gears.
I can get it up to about 20 at reasonable RPMs, 25 if you are really pushing it. However, that is with 4.88 and 33's. Your tire and gear ratio will make a difference for sure.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:00 AM

The more I think about it, the 4.7 gears really only give me one lower gear (1st low). It will be nice to have for sure, but when you think about it, it's not as big of a gain as one might expect.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you'd be surprised on the difference just the 4.7 low makes. I ended up putting a dual case setup in my vehicle just a few weeks ago, and find just by using the 4.7 (without the doubler engaged) that I can really crawl much better and at a far lower speed.

When I engage the doubler... it's just plane ridiculous. Definitely the best mod I have done so far.

I'd strongly recommend the 4.7 to anyone who really wants to improve their crawl ratio. I can get around in 3rd or 5th in 4.7 pretty well. It only takes a second to pop back to standard 4 HI if I need to go faster.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

The more I think about it, the 4.7 gears really only give me one lower gear (1st low). It will be nice to have for sure, but when you think about it, it's not as big of a gain as one might expect.
Yes, but it is a gain. I'm not going to say its the best thing ever, and I'm not going to say its the only mod anyone needs, but it is a nice addition.

You get a lower first gear, but you can still move along in the other gears. Not as fast as stock, but when you need it, the lower first is nice. It will suck in highspeed stuff, and in mud or snow.

Essentially the only setup without comprimises is the duals with 4.7 in one. You get it all there, with 15 forward gears. Just costs more, but its what i'm going with. The 4.7's are great, but they have their limitations. They are a good intermediate step.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:24 AM

You'll notice a difference in 2nd gear too.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

I do not understand your question. It is exactly the same as before, except you now have gearing that is twice as low. You just stop, put it in low, and go, exactly like when it was stock.

I can get it up to about 20 at reasonable RPMs, 25 if you are really pushing it. However, that is with 4.88 and 33's. Your tire and gear ratio will make a difference for sure.
Sorry for the confusion, I was just hypothetically saying that, i know how to shift the transfer case. I just meant....if it is too low for the speed you need to go, it's not difficult to stop and put it back in high.

As far as speed, Right now in 5th gear low i think I can get up to 25 or better without pushing it past 4000, maybe not even that much. I'll have to check it next time I'm home.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

You get a lower first gear, but you can still move along in the other gears. Not as fast as stock, but when you need it, the lower first is nice. It will suck in highspeed stuff, and in mud or snow.

Essentially the only setup without comprimises is the duals with 4.7 in one. You get it all there, with 15 forward gears. Just costs more, but its what i'm going with. The 4.7's are great, but they have their limitations. They are a good intermediate step.
I don't see 4.7s sucking as bad in mud or snow...I use stock low for mud all the time and still have 2 or 3 gears left to go through even at top wheel speed. I think depends on your mud wheeling philosophy.

Snow, I would love to be able to go much slower, then again, I think we're talking about different snow here....I'm never going to see snow that's more than 10" deep, and that's going to be a rare occurance, twice a year max. When I drive on snow, it's usually more like ice, and I would love to have the extra low to slow down with.

I too thought about dual cases, but I really like my center console, and would have to do something to it to have a space for a second shifter, not to mention the fab work on the driveshafts, etc. It's like the SAS threads in a way....is it better? Yes. Do I really need it, or is it just cool and everybody talks about it? I don't see myself needing to crawl that low, at least not enough to justify so much money and work.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

As for snow and mud, yes, it can be better, but many times you are looking for wheelspeed, and you can't get it with the 4.7 case.

As far as the trouble, it does take drive shaft mods. But, that runs a few hundred per, and thats not so bad.

I am putting all three shifters in the stock location using a tripple shifter. It's been covered on pirate. No cutting up the console for me.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

As for snow and mud, yes, it can be better, but many times you are looking for wheelspeed, and you can't get it with the 4.7 case.

As far as the trouble, it does take drive shaft mods. But, that runs a few hundred per, and thats not so bad.

I am putting all three shifters in the stock location using a tripple shifter. It's been covered on pirate. No cutting up the console for me.
I'd like to see it when you get done.

yea, I can see the 4.7s to have their caveats just like anything else. I think it'll be worth it. I just need to get a plan as far as the order in which I do my mod list. I gotta make some more money first. I think in another year or two when I'm out of college I'll be able to do alot more to the truck, as well as have time to wheel it.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Woo i just got mine installed and cant wait to wheel with them. I think these are a good way to get started, then later on find a tcase, get the doubler adapter, then do the d shafts and you are ready to roll. i mean make it a process and it doesnt turn out that bad.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM

4.7 vs. 4.0 vs. 4.97

Two issues,...
1)
Lots of people talk about losing higher speeds for between obstacles when going with the 4.7 gear set.
Why don't more people get the 4.0:1 set up. Not quite as good a crawl ratio, but makes 5th Lo a bit more usable rather that shifting to 1st Hi.
2)
If slow crawling is so good, why don't more folks put the 4.97 gears in?

Besides quality of the gears (Marlin vs AA), why don't I see more 4.0's and 4.97's??
Mark
Old 07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hodgepodge79
Two issues,...
1)
Lots of people talk about losing higher speeds for between obstacles when going with the 4.7 gear set.
Why don't more people get the 4.0:1 set up. Not quite as good a crawl ratio, but makes 5th Lo a bit more usable rather that shifting to 1st Hi.
2)
If slow crawling is so good, why don't more folks put the 4.97 gears in?

Besides quality of the gears (Marlin vs AA), why don't I see more 4.0's and 4.97's??
Mark
The answer to your question is that according to Marlin, they 4.7 is the strongest gear set. I have no idea why that is, but when i ordered my 4.7's, i originally was going to order the 5.0's. They told me that it would be better to get the 4.7. In addition, the difference between 4.0, 4.7, and 5.0 is really negligible.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:31 AM

I've got the dual ultimate crawler in my 84 4Runner. I tend to use the rear 4.7 case most of the time on the trail. However, when I pull up to a tough part of the trail, I can pop the front case in low and just idle up (or very little throttle). Helps out big time in the very big rocks