93-98 T100s (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

250000_yota's '98 T100 Build (Scuba Steve!)

Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250000_yota's '98 T100 Build (Scuba Steve!)

Well, I figure'd i'd document the build of my truck. So here goes...

This build started with a very, very sad day for me. I wrecked my beloved '90 regular cab, nicknamed Mighty Mouse by my friends. The date was September 10, 2008. I'd had him just shy of 3 years, and had spent more blood, sweat and tears on it than I will ever imagine. He got me through high school, half of college, countless girlfriends and a miles and miles of trails. He will be sorely missed...

So, at the time, I was a student in the Toyota T-Ten program, in school at San Juan College in Farmington, New Mexico. The wreck happended while I was at school, 400 miles from home. Nothing has scared me more than wrecking a vehicle in another state, with no-one to help me. Luckily, I have a set of AWESOME parents, who lent me another vehicle, and trailered my hulk of a truck home.

During the T-Ten program, you spend 2 months working at a dealership, and 2 months at school, alternating for about 18 months. I got my internship at Stapp Interstate Toyota, in Frederick, Colorado. I apprenticed under, in my opinion, the most knowledgable Toyota technician I have ever met, Bob. He's now worked for the same dealership for close to 30 years, having seen everything since the early, early '80s. The weekend after I wrecked the '90, I rode home to Colorado with a couple friends, to see if I could procure a new vehicle. Thankfully, I also have a awesome grandmother, who gave me an interest free loan. I of course, had to go visit my dealership and co-workers, and tell them the news. When I got there, I saw a T100 parked in the recent trade in section, fresh from having it's used car inspection and repairs done. A man had come in, with the T100, a beautiful 1989 FJ60, and enough cash to leave with a brand new, 2009 Tundra. I did my wheeling and dealing, and ended up getting the T100 for $8500, which was the blue book value for a decent T100 with 102k on the clock. The date was September 20, 2008.

Sorry for the low quality pictures, but most are taken by a cell phone.

Last edited by 250000_yota; 10-11-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 AM

The modifications came slow, starting with the kenwood deck that came out of my old '90, along with the cb radio, and various other things. The first big mod I did was make myself an IRS mod, using parts from a K&n intake I took off a used 2002 4Runner at the dealership. The screw holes for the MAF were stripped, so the dealer decided to put a complete stock air box and intake tube on, and discard the K&n (straight into my tool box).

I used the heat shield, cone filter, and a spray paint can cap with a vaccuum fitting glued in, to remove the stock ISR and air box. Cost: 3.99 for a pack of vaccuum fittings.

Next was dumping the old trash can of a muffler. A good friend of mine, who I now live down the street from, does exhaust systems out of his house. Unlike most, he has a full lift, and pipe bender. He is also a Magnaflow dealer, so I had him weld in a Magnaflow 18" race muffler. Cost: $50 and a case of Coors Light.

Then, I put the manual hubs off my old truck. In the process, I found that the bearings hadn't been packed in the entire life of the truck. The factory grease from Toyota lasted 120k. I of course took the time to do this.

Last edited by 250000_yota; 03-01-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Next came the Throttle Body Spacer. This went on in my last semester of college. I had a very good friend who had a 2008 X-Runner. It had a Magnaflow exhaust, cut the secondary cat's off, a URD behind the grill CAI, and a Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer. I fell in love with the sound of that whistle, and immediatly ordered one. After I put it on, I found that it didnt add any power, like I had hoped. I was thinking about taking it off, untill I tracked my gas mileage for the month I had it installed. I found that I gained almost a full mile per gallon in the city, compared to before. I decided to leave it on. Cost: $120 from Summit.

After that, I went through a dry spell of modifications so to speak. By this point, I was fed up working for the dealership. I had a really big head on my shoulders, and felt that I was worth more than being a glorified lube tech. I left at the end of July, 2009, just months after graduating the T-Ten program. I've been trying to get back with Toyota since, and really regret leaving.

The Next modification was to replace the bent to he** stock rims, with a set of 2003 Tundra Steel's. I put them on along with a used set of BFG Rugged Trails that I picked up cheap. The rim's cost me $50, and the tires were $140.

The next mod was the lift. In late January, 2010, The 4x4 shop I worked at became a Toytec Dealer. I jumped on the opportunity, and ordered the ball joint spacer lift, with an add-a-leaf and Procomp shocks. I ran into some issues installing the lift, but including aligning it, it took me about 6 hours. I immediatly had to get new rear shocks, as the Procomps from Toytec were about 4 inches too short at ride height. I went with a set of Rancho RS5000's, as my shop is also a Rancho Dealer. All in all it cost me $300.

In this time, I also modified the K&n intake tube, to fit my truck. The throttle body spacer gave me enough extension that I was able to use the shorter intake tube, after cutting off the old MAF fitting.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM

The final, and most recent mod, was to remove the AAL's that came with the kit. They were far to stiff, and really limited the flex on the rear of the truck. I got a set of Toytec 2 inch lift shackles, along with a All Pro U-bolt flip kit. The rear rides soooo much better now, and flexes much, much better.

This came at about the same time as blacking out the rims. 3 hours of sanding, 15 minutes of painting, and the time to mount and balance and let the paint dry.

And that's how she sit's now. I'll add to it as modifications come along...
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 PM

Well, the truck just rolled over to 150000 miles on sunday. Sadly, this is almost the most I've ever put on a vehicle that I've owned. The truck is starting to show its age a little bit. It's in need of a transmission rebuild, as the syncro's are gettin a little worn, and the input shaft bearing is getting noisy. Hopefully, the trans will hold together untill next october, when my little brother will be able to rebuild it in his transmission class (My brother is taking the same Toyota T-TEN class I did a year and a half ago.)

The truck, as it sits today.

So for my birthday, my parents got me a URD short throw shifter. Mine was the second one I've installed. I helped my brother put one in his 2.7L '98 Tacoma, and I really liked the way it felt. Installation took about 45 minutes, and I'm extremely happy with it. I would have taken pictures, but I did it on my lunch break so time was short.

Another maintenance issue appeared about a month ago. I felt a nice little vibration, coming from the rear of the truck. Pulling a trailer this last weekend only made the vibration worse. At 150085 miles, I replaced the u-joint at the pinion. All of the other u-joints are original, so I'm assuming its just a matter of time before they fall like the first.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Interesting, Do U joints usually go out around 150k? I just hit 151k on my 4Runner and the U joints are all original.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

u joints are a wear item they could go before 100k or after 150k it all depends on the maintenance that you do to them(if they are greasable or not)

btw nice looking truck
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
any updates? how's the URD short shifter?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM

LLLLOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE the shifter. It tightened up the in gear sloppieness, and of course, sped up the shifts, even though I'm not doin that kinda shifting so much now that I've grown up a little lol.

As far as the U-joint going, I'm assuming it's because the pinion angle is off because of the recent shackle change, thus, I think the new u-joint might be in trouble unless I get some pinion shims and correct it a little more. Will update as soon as that happens.

Btw, mak, that short throw would fit your runner, just in case you were wondering.

Last edited by 250000_yota; 03-01-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Yo Russ awesome build man... They take a long time to get it to the way you want well when are any of us ever done...what's next for you??? I'm planning on lifting the gas tank then fab a t case x member I want an armored flatter belly other than that I should be done well I say that but who knows...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Well, now that I'm working again, I'm planning on sliders. I'm still torn between trying to build them myself, or getting these super sweet awesome looking one's from Rocky Road off road. Their the only one's I've ever found for the T100, and I think they look sick...

http://www.rocky-road.com/t100rockrail.html

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Well, now that I'm employed again, I can afford upkeep on the truck! Since starting at my new shop, I've added:

Brass Idler arm bushings in the correct idler arm

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's, size 265/75R16. L-O-V-E these tires...

Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM

4/4/12-Detroit True-trac install!

Well, got the tax return. I was even good! I put it in savings...for a little bit. Then...well, my wallet got itchy. Ordered up my true-trac from Randy's ring and pinion, and after a little argument with the phone operator, i also had a set up kit and ring gear bolts comin to.

Two days later, this greeted me!

Now, in anticipation of doing this, I picked up a third member from a classmate of my little brother's, 98_3RZ.

Good gears, low miles, and, I wouldn't have to take my truck out of action while I set it up. Took the whole bundle to work with me, and set it up in between customer cars.

Then, on my day off (Huge thanks to my shop owner for letting me comendeer a lift for a couple hours!), started the tear down.

The nasty, un-touched 164k housing...

And post cleaning of said housing!

Then, bippity-boppity-boop! Installed and ready to go!

And, as they say...the proof is in the puddin'!

Overall, not nearly as hard as I anticipated. Definitely love the extra traction and love the fact that I might be able to make it further than before now. I'll keep ya'll posted as to how it turns out in the long run!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Great buil thread. just missing one thing. GIVING ME CREDIT FOR REBUILDING YOUR TRANSMISSION. you jerk LOL!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 98_3RZ
Great buil thread. just missing one thing. GIVING ME CREDIT FOR REBUILDING YOUR TRANSMISSION. you jerk LOL!!!
Yes, Yes credit must be given to my little brother for rebuilding the Trans. He did a great job, and even threw in some Marlin Crawler goodies before he closed it up. Trans now has a billet 1-2 shift fork, and all new toyota bearings and syncros. When I reinstalled the trans, I also threw in a Marlin HD 1200 lb clutch kit. Works great, and again, thanks to my little bro for the rebuild!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM

So a little teaser for the next phase...

Stubbs welding HD-SKO sliders. I've been looking around for years for sliders, and the only ones I've found we're rocky road off road, and they were pretty pricy. Then, seeing a post about 3rd gen 4runners, I checked out Stubbs. I emailed him asking if his sliders for the tundra would work on my T100, and he replied no, but he's made them for the T and could again. After shooting emails back and forth, and collecting funds, I finally got them ordered. Richard was awesome, and extremely friendly, and the sliders are of the utmost quality.

So now, just need to get them mounted
Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 AM

Ive been wanting to paint my wheels, how long did the paint hold up. Did you use a primer?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM

I didn't prime mine, but the paint stayed pretty well. I will recommend you sand them pretty good first though. I think that's why mine worked out so well. I sanded until my fingers hurt lol
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 PM

So, finally got the sliders on. I was waiting patiently for my buddy to be ready, which took a while considering his wedding was last weekend and we've been running ragged trying to get everything done for it. But, as stated, their finally on...

As for the moment, their just primer painted, but while I'm in Spain, my little bro 98_3RZ is gonna paint them in rustoleum hammered. So stay tuned!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 AM

So, since being fired for giving my two weeks notice I had plenty of time to fiddle around with the truck, which included painting the sliders with my brother 98_3RZ on his day off yesterday. Like many on YT, I went with rust-o-leum hammered paint. We put it on in two coats, trying to get its as thick as possible in preparation for the abuse that they are bound to see. So, without further adue:

And another massive thanks to Richard at Stubbs Welding for the help and patience while I collected the funds for my sliders. Seriously, I don't think I've met a parts vendor nearly this nice and patient in all the time I've been dealing with the aftermarket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 250000_yota's '98 T100 Build (Scuba Steve!)