Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring question

I'm a complete electrical dummy, so forgive me is this sounds basic....

I currently have my CB installed so that I'm running the wires directly off the battery. The hot wire has an in-line fuse so I figured it would be OK, at least temporarily, and as long as I don't forget to make sure the CB is shut off.

However, what I'm thinking about is this. I have knockout panels next to the stock fog light switch, so I'd like to put in a 2nd toggle swith that is essentially CB power - have the CB run to the switch, and the switch to the power source.

I know there are various types of toggle switches, so I'm not really sure what I would need. Anyone have suggestions on what to get? If I did this I'd prefer a similar switch to the stock one - one with an indicator as to when the switch is on.

Also, if you have suggestions on another way I should consider wiring this, that would be great too.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

you can get a stock switch off ebay or directly from your dealer, then wire it in line like you would a set of fog lights . check some of the messages on hear about what wires go to where .

erik b of oregon
Old 01-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Tom, my article may be of help to you here.

Now I am good at wiring up off road lights and other stuff, but I am not sure about the same switch I list on my page above, as I have not tried what you want to do.

But I think it can work, but I'd like to hear others input on it.

In the above picture, I am thinking you can take the middle prong and have your wire coming from the battery go to it.

Then the bottom prong that I say goes to a relay for the lights to then go to the red wire that goes right to your CB.

So essentialy you are cutting your red wire in half, and half goes to the middle prong, and the last half for the bottom prong goes to the CB.

You would still need to just run a simple ground wire from the top prong of the switch to a bolt or screw in the cab, or out the firewall to a suitable ground.

I have a feeling this will work with the above factory switch.
I know Yoda on the board here would know if my theory is sound or not.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:05 PM

Running it directly off of the battery is fine since you do have an inline fuse. That is really the best way to run it anyway so you won't get any interferrence from any other electircal device on the vehicle. There is no need to install a second switch. The CB has its own switch.

That is how most all radios are installed in police and fire vehicles. You are fine, don't worry, just remember to turn it off.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Gadget and Corey,

Its good to know that my current setup is OK, and Corey I think your method will work for me if I decide to go that route!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:42 PM

sorry guys, I can't agree with your suggestions completely...I would DEFINATELY wire a relay to power the fog lights, as most of those toggles are not rated for those kind of ampers.

IF you are interested in a relay based system, I'll write it up and post it. That would use a small voltage to actually turn the system on, therefore giving you tons of options on the switches. I would guess the 2nd gens use a relay on a factory system, as it would be the most reliable by far.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
sorry guys, I can't agree with your suggestions completely...I would DEFINATELY wire a relay to power the fog lights, as most of those toggles are not rated for those kind of ampers.

IF you are interested in a relay based system, I'll write it up and post it. That would use a small voltage to actually turn the system on, therefore giving you tons of options on the switches. I would guess the 2nd gens use a relay on a factory system, as it would be the most reliable by far.
I agree with the use of a relay system. If you use a relay system, you could tap off any accessory power line (i.e. the hot wire to your clock, radio, etc) to feed the relay trigger. This way, whenever your key is in the on position, your CB will be on. Whenever you turn the car completeley off, your CB will turn off as well. You won't ever have to remember to turn it off.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good idea about the relay.

If you read my article though that I posted the link too above, you do use a relay for the Toyota switch when controlling fogs or driving lights.

Corey