Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What fuel injector cleaner to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What fuel injector cleaner to use?

Well it's time in both vehicles, what are you guys using and are they safe to use w/o risk of messin' up an O2 sensor or any other component?
Old 05-24-2002, 05:44 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Dr., I use BG44K about two to three times a year right in the tank.
I get mine at Doxon's Toyota in Auburn.
http://www.bgprod.com/autofuel.html

It's expensive, about $20 a can. But it's only meant to use about twice a year.
It's good stuff.

In between using that, I use Chevron Techron about once a month that I pick up in a double pack at Costco for about $7.00 I think.

I like to keep mine in check as two Octobers ago my injectors got super clogged, and my mileage went to hell and dropped to 7 MPG.
Doxon's pulled all the injectors out, sent them down the street to get ultra sounded and cleaned, and bench test flowed before & after.
Total cost was about $500. Lots of labor.
Ran very fine though afterwards.
Yeah, the key to keeping them healthy is use a good injector religiously.

Here is my

flow test chart for before & after.
You can see how the voltage was off, and how the spray pattern was bad.
That caused massive surging and bucking on the freeway whenever I let off the gas. It was spitting out few instead of flowing properly.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the advice, i'll give it a try.

AL
Old 05-25-2002, 09:22 AM

I was having trouble with a clogged injector and Corey recommended Chevron Techron. Man did that do the trick. I loved it. Cleaned it right out, even the rest of the exhaust. It says that it will enhance performance, and you know what, it did a little bit. I was suprised. I would give it a try! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 05-26-2002, 08:19 AM

You could also try the Amsoil Performance Fuel Addative. I've been using it with great success. Just add 2-4oz per tank and drive away. Amsoil Performance Fuel Addative

Best of Luck
Andrew
Old 05-26-2002, 08:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The Amsoil stuff I have been meaning to try. My brother in-law who turned me onto the Whole Amsoil scene bought like a one or two gallon jug of the Amsol fuel stuff.

Darn, I was just down at the Amsoil store a few weeks ago to pick up my oil for the next change.

I'll have to swing by as I am out of the Techron, and about due to put some in the tank.

Thanks Watson for reminding me
Corey
Old 05-26-2002, 11:19 AM

Corey, how often do you put the Techron in your tank. I am just wondering b/c I was thinking about doing it everytime I got an oil change! Is that what you do? :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 05-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I was using the Techron about once a month, and right now, I am overdue.
Corey
Old 05-26-2002, 01:05 PM

Alright, thanks. I will have to pick one up and put it in the tank! Thanks again! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 05-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for information, there are two kinds of Chevron Injection cleaner. One says "with Tecron" (the milder of the two) and the other says "Tecron". Costco sells the milder version.

I use the mild stuff about once a month, and the heavy duty version about once a year (the stronger and the larger bottle).

The shop I used to work for built an injection cleaner from a 30# freon tank. We mixed 50% Tecron and 50% gas and plumbed it into the fuel rail at just under the return pressure. Then ran the car for about 20-30 minutes. It worked great, but wasn't the safest design.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Dave, is that kind of like the metholigy that is behind the Snap On "Motor Vac system" that Gadget has mentioned?

There is a carb/fuel injector shop in Auburn that has a Canadian machine that he says is the same as the Snap On one and charges abut $120 to do it.

I never knew that about the Costco Techron and the more stronger version stuff.
Corey
Old 05-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup,
I like the costco stuff for cheap once a month preventive treatment. Then I buy the strong stuff at a Chevron or a schucks store. I think the big bottle is 20 oz. Almost $10. Then after that tank of gas is gone I'll replace the fuel filter and other tune up stuff.
I don't think the system we made was like the snap-on one. 3M gas the Boeing shop a demo of their system. It was a 3 way treatment. Throttle body spray, internal fuel rail/injectors, and a tank treatment. Maybe I should buy one and sell injection services now that I have lots of free time.

David
Old 05-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Go for it Dave, Iwill drive up the mountain to visit your shop to get the treatment.

Uh, just make sure you have a Toy E locker handy too with the same gear ratio I have now
Corey
Old 05-26-2002, 08:39 PM

I used to work at a Chevron station, Techron is the way to go.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:58 AM

As I write this I am looking at a 12 oz bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner. This is the Techron Concentrate.

I am sure everyone has read one of my posts about using two 12 oz bottles and adding the first one at 1/4 tank (~6 gals left) and then adding 6 gals of gas. Then run it back down to 1/4, add the 2nd bottle, and fill up the tank (~12 gals). Then if the tank is not refilled again until 1/4 tank or less this will maintain a ~1:1 ratio for 1 full tank (~18 gals).

Edit: The above is based on a 4Runner needing ~12 gals for a fill-up when the fuel gauge is at 1/4 tank, as mine does.

Just a reminder that part of the directions read: Pour the entire contents of one bottle into a nearly empty tank and refuel with up to 12 gal of fuel. A second treatment may give additional benefits.

That is not the complete directions but you get the drift....

Ron

Last edited by Ron(Fla); 05-28-2002 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:08 PM

Picked up 2 bottles of Techron today.
I'll try the BG44K next time since it is not quite as readily available for me.

Thanks for everyone for your input,

AL
Old 05-28-2002, 05:56 AM

Yeah, techron is great stuff and you will most definitely be happy with it! Goodluck! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 05-28-2002, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Another tip, is that if you are going on a somewhat extended drive (i.e., road trip), this is a great time to use a fuel injector cleaning additive. The constant flow of the injectors (since you are in somewhat of a cruising state) with the additive in there does a really great job of cleaning the fuel system.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Mohamed
Another tip, is that if you are going on a somewhat extended drive (i.e., road trip), this is a great time to use a fuel injector cleaning additive. The constant flow of the injectors (since you are in somewhat of a cruising state) with the additive in there does a really great job of cleaning the fuel system.
Very true, I put mine in b/f I drive the 30miles to school...everyday. It really helps. Try it, works wonders! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 05-29-2002, 04:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Since I am an Amsoil member, and the WA. state warehouse is only a few miles from me, I just picked up a 16 oz bottle, and the one gallon jug.

This way I will have the small bottle to refill and it has the oz increments marked on the side of it.

The rep told me to use 2 oz every tankfull for 10 gal. of gas.
I'll just use 4 oz every fillup like WatsonMD recommended.

Stuff was not cheap. For both bottles it came up to $53. But it's highly concentrated, thus you don't have to use as much.
I asked him about the BG44K, and naturaly since he sells Amsoil, he says the Amsoil is better.

I'll give this stuff a try tomorrow when I fill the tank and see how it runs.
Kind of cool if you can use it everytime you fill up. He said it should also improve my fuel economy.
Great, I need all the help I can get with the tug
Corey

Quick Reply: What fuel injector cleaner to use?