YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   What fuel injector cleaner to use? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/what-fuel-injector-cleaner-use-130/)

Dr. Evil 05-24-2002 05:19 PM

What fuel injector cleaner to use?

Well it's time in both vehicles, what are you guys using and are they safe to use w/o risk of messin' up an O2 sensor or any other component?

Corey 05-24-2002 05:44 PM

Hi Dr., I use BG44K about two to three times a year right in the tank.
I get mine at Doxon's Toyota in Auburn.
http://www.bgprod.com/autofuel.html

It's expensive, about $20 a can. But it's only meant to use about twice a year.
It's good stuff.

In between using that, I use Chevron Techron about once a month that I pick up in a double pack at Costco for about $7.00 I think.

I like to keep mine in check as two Octobers ago my injectors got super clogged, and my mileage went to hell and dropped to 7 MPG.
Doxon's pulled all the injectors out, sent them down the street to get ultra sounded and cleaned, and bench test flowed before & after.
Total cost was about $500. Lots of labor.
Ran very fine though afterwards.
Yeah, the key to keeping them healthy is use a good injector religiously.

Here is my

flow test chart for before & after.
You can see how the voltage was off, and how the spray pattern was bad.
That caused massive surging and bucking on the freeway whenever I let off the gas. It was spitting out few instead of flowing properly.

Dr. Evil 05-24-2002 05:59 PM

Thanks for the advice, i'll give it a try.

AL

BTOWN4RUNNER 05-25-2002 09:22 AM

I was having trouble with a clogged injector and Corey recommended Chevron Techron. Man did that do the trick. I loved it. Cleaned it right out, even the rest of the exhaust. It says that it will enhance performance, and you know what, it did a little bit. I was suprised. I would give it a try! :beaver:

-Ryan

WatsonMD 05-26-2002 08:19 AM

You could also try the Amsoil Performance Fuel Addative. I've been using it with great success. Just add 2-4oz per tank and drive away. Amsoil Performance Fuel Addative

Best of Luck
Andrew

Corey 05-26-2002 08:31 AM

The Amsoil stuff I have been meaning to try. My brother in-law who turned me onto the Whole Amsoil scene bought like a one or two gallon jug of the Amsol fuel stuff.

Darn, I was just down at the Amsoil store a few weeks ago to pick up my oil for the next change.

I'll have to swing by as I am out of the Techron, and about due to put some in the tank.

Thanks Watson for reminding me :)
Corey

BTOWN4RUNNER 05-26-2002 11:19 AM

Corey, how often do you put the Techron in your tank. I am just wondering b/c I was thinking about doing it everytime I got an oil change! Is that what you do? :beaver:

-Ryan

Corey 05-26-2002 11:42 AM

I was using the Techron about once a month, and right now, I am overdue.
Corey

BTOWN4RUNNER 05-26-2002 01:05 PM

Alright, thanks. I will have to pick one up and put it in the tank! Thanks again! :beaver:

-Ryan

Yoda 05-26-2002 04:24 PM

Just for information, there are two kinds of Chevron Injection cleaner. One says "with Tecron" (the milder of the two) and the other says "Tecron". Costco sells the milder version.

I use the mild stuff about once a month, and the heavy duty version about once a year (the stronger and the larger bottle).

The shop I used to work for built an injection cleaner from a 30# freon tank. We mixed 50% Tecron and 50% gas and plumbed it into the fuel rail at just under the return pressure. Then ran the car for about 20-30 minutes. It worked great, but wasn't the safest design. :nerd:

Corey 05-26-2002 04:46 PM

Dave, is that kind of like the metholigy that is behind the Snap On "Motor Vac system" that Gadget has mentioned?

There is a carb/fuel injector shop in Auburn that has a Canadian machine that he says is the same as the Snap On one and charges abut $120 to do it.

I never knew that about the Costco Techron and the more stronger version stuff.
Corey

Yoda 05-26-2002 05:41 PM

Yup,
I like the costco stuff for cheap once a month preventive treatment. Then I buy the strong stuff at a Chevron or a schucks store. I think the big bottle is 20 oz. Almost $10. Then after that tank of gas is gone I'll replace the fuel filter and other tune up stuff.
I don't think the system we made was like the snap-on one. 3M gas the Boeing shop a demo of their system. It was a 3 way treatment. Throttle body spray, internal fuel rail/injectors, and a tank treatment. Maybe I should buy one and sell injection services now that I have lots of free time.

David

Corey 05-26-2002 05:52 PM

Go for it Dave, Iwill drive up the mountain to visit your shop to get the treatment.

Uh, just make sure you have a Toy E locker handy too with the same gear ratio I have now ;)
Corey

Paul S 05-26-2002 08:39 PM

:) I used to work at a Chevron station, Techron is the way to go.:bigok:

Ron(Fla) 05-27-2002 10:58 AM

As I write this I am looking at a 12 oz bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner. This is the Techron Concentrate.

I am sure everyone has read one of my posts about using two 12 oz bottles and adding the first one at 1/4 tank (~6 gals left) and then adding 6 gals of gas. Then run it back down to 1/4, add the 2nd bottle, and fill up the tank (~12 gals). Then if the tank is not refilled again until 1/4 tank or less this will maintain a ~1:1 ratio for 1 full tank (~18 gals).

Edit: The above is based on a 4Runner needing ~12 gals for a fill-up when the fuel gauge is at 1/4 tank, as mine does.

Just a reminder that part of the directions read: Pour the entire contents of one bottle into a nearly empty tank and refuel with up to 12 gal of fuel. A second treatment may give additional benefits.

That is not the complete directions :readit: but you get the drift.... :bigok:

Ron

Dr. Evil 05-27-2002 07:08 PM

Picked up 2 bottles of Techron today.
I'll try the BG44K next time since it is not quite as readily available for me.

Thanks for everyone for your input,

AL

BTOWN4RUNNER 05-28-2002 05:56 AM

Yeah, techron is great stuff and you will most definitely be happy with it! Goodluck! :beaver:

-Ryan

Mohamed 05-28-2002 10:27 AM

Another tip, is that if you are going on a somewhat extended drive (i.e., road trip), this is a great time to use a fuel injector cleaning additive. The constant flow of the injectors (since you are in somewhat of a cruising state) with the additive in there does a really great job of cleaning the fuel system.

BTOWN4RUNNER 05-28-2002 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Mohamed
Another tip, is that if you are going on a somewhat extended drive (i.e., road trip), this is a great time to use a fuel injector cleaning additive. The constant flow of the injectors (since you are in somewhat of a cruising state) with the additive in there does a really great job of cleaning the fuel system.
Very true, I put mine in b/f I drive the 30miles to school...everyday. It really helps. Try it, works wonders! :beaver:

-Ryan

Corey 05-29-2002 04:02 PM

Since I am an Amsoil member, and the WA. state warehouse is only a few miles from me, I just picked up a 16 oz bottle, and the one gallon jug.

This way I will have the small bottle to refill and it has the oz increments marked on the side of it.

The rep told me to use 2 oz every tankfull for 10 gal. of gas.
I'll just use 4 oz every fillup like WatsonMD recommended.

Stuff was not cheap. For both bottles it came up to $53. But it's highly concentrated, thus you don't have to use as much.
I asked him about the BG44K, and naturaly since he sells Amsoil, he says the Amsoil is better.

I'll give this stuff a try tomorrow when I fill the tank and see how it runs.
Kind of cool if you can use it everytime you fill up. He said it should also improve my fuel economy.
Great, I need all the help I can get with the tug ;)
Corey