Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Warning about Maxx Autoworks

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning about Maxx Autoworks

I want to let everyone know that I no longer recommend anyone doing business with Maxx Autoworks. A good many people have done business with them in the past based on my recommendation and the links on my site. It has come to my attention that a growing number of people have been getting so called "ripped off" by them. If any of you here fall into that group I am very sorry.

I have been told that they are making improper charges to people’s credit cards, unauthorized charges, and billing credit cards for the same item more then once. I have seen examples of this with one person in particular and have been told that several others have been gotten the same way. I was hesitant in changing my opinion of them until I saw the proof of this activity with my own eyes. There have been way to many similar stories from way to many people to be no true.

I can speak specifically to how I feel JT, his employees, partners and so forth has ripped me off. Back in the Summer of 01 I sent them two 3.4 cylinder heads to be professionally ported, polished, decked, have all the valve guides and seals replaced, and oversized valves installed. I was assured that they work would be of the highest caliber, second to none and it all would be done for $1500, plus $1000 for the valves and a turn around time of 3-4 weeks.

After months and months of delays and calls telling me I would have to pay more for new valve seals and valve guides. I reminded them that it was all supposed to be included but now they decided to change their story so I was stuck if I wanted them back.

I got the heads back in December of 01 and was very disappointed in the work done. It was so obvious that it was not properly done. They appeared not to have been ported. To check the quality of the valve work I filled three of the ports with WD-40 to check the seal of the valves to the valve seats and to my surprise all of the WD-40 leaked right through. It was clear to me that the work was so poor I could not even use the heads on my engine and I took them to a reputable shop and had then torn down and inspected.

We found that they were not ported, the guides were not replaced as promised. The decking was not properly done and I was told that the decking was too coarse to seal the head gasket. The entire job would have to be redone or at least done so that I could use the heads on my engine.

Precision Engine Machine in Hyattsville Maryland did a fantastic job reworking the heads and the quality of their work was really impressive. Now the interesting part is that Maxx Autoworks charged my card twice for the work. Once for around $1700 and again for $1500 for the job. Precision Engine Machine redid the work for under $700 and I had to buy new valve stem seals for around $150. Not a bad deal for actually getting a quality job compared to the $3200 Maxx Autoworks charged to render my heads unusable.

To settle my disatisfaction with the work that Maxx Autoworks did we agreed to apply the cost of having the work properly done as store credit that I could use for purchasing other things. At the time that sounded OK, but in the end Maxx Autoworks will not ship me things that I ordered from them, specifically a suspension kit. I have been waiting for a suspension kit since December with one excuse after another. I did get a few parts sent to me that I had to return to Maxx Autoworks right away because what they sent me was incomplete and unusable for my application. When I called to complain about it, JT admitted to me that he lied in saying the complete kit was on its way because he had to send me something to get me off of his back. Now he will no longer return my calls, answer my emails and will not even answer when I call. It seems that they are screening out my calls with caller ID. I have verified that this is going on. It is nice to have friends that live close to his shop.

My credit card was charged more then $3200 for very shoddy work and as far as a store credit goes, I guess I am just getting ripped off for that. They did send me a ACT clutch, but that took constant hounding. $3200 and all I got out of it is a clutch. That really sucks.

At least I did not get ripped off as bad as many others have that you all will be hearing more about very soon. They include stories of credit cards being billed of the same parts several times, excessive labor times, engines that will not hold together requiring immediate rebuilding, parts removed from people’s vehicles that are lost and possibly installed on other people’s vehicles or possibly sold, and so on and so on. They stories are really incredible indeed.

Anyway if any of you want to call Maxx Autoworks and ask them if they are planning on keeping all the money they owe me please do since they will not take my calls anymore. Their number is 253-661-0118. Let me know if he answers your calls.....

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-31-2002, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

That is really to bad to hear. This reminds me of the story posted on ODW a couple months ago of the guy with a Viper who got ripped off by a performance shop for something like 200 grand. JT was one of the few who were experts on the 3.4 V6 and the 4Runner, and it's a shame to loose that knowledge. Maybe you can lead a group lawsuit and start your own shop to take all of his business. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:42 PM

Gadget, Please get professional law help asap. That is outrageous, there has to be something you can do.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:10 PM

Wow, that is so lame, that someone with a reputation and referrals from you, would screw you and others with no regards. I am certain that he is on drugs. I lost my business to a partner, who after 10 years in business, decides to do drugs. Theft, forgery....nothing is sacred. Money is their sole obsession. Someone who spends their life building a solid business reputation now becomes a low life thief?...drugs is the only answer I see. Sorry to hear of your bad experience...I know Brian (Tragerr) posted his troubles when I last was on ODW. Glad the heads were still repairable. Hey Vince, I posted that Viper story here a while ago...rip off story That guy got ripped. Here again, by a shop with solid reputaion. These thieves need to be shut down and locked up.
butnut
Old 07-31-2002, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Man oh man that's sad! I hope you can get something worked out Gadget because that is totally UNSAT! Good luck man and thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-31-2002, 11:40 PM

Gadget....that's real terrible to hear....JT should have been grateful to you for giving him your recommendation....I remember when I went in for my TB, how he said business was picking up with Internet referrals....I assumed mainly thru you and ODW....

That is such a waste of a business to go out like that. Your post made me go thru my credit card statements just to double check that I hadn't been had....I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

My only consolation is that my TB had to be sent out and I got to inspect the TB before installation and watch them put it in...I'm glad I didn't do any major work w/ JT....

It's so hard finding good shops that do quality work and are trustworthy....something needs to happen legally with this, so it won't happen again....
Old 08-01-2002, 03:43 AM

Gadget, did you dispute the charges thru the credit card company?
Old 08-01-2002, 04:07 AM

Gadget, I know that really sucks! I wish you the best of luck in finding a way of resolving the situation! Goodluck let us know what happens. Thanks! :fireman:
Old 08-01-2002, 04:41 AM

Gadget,

This sounds like a call to the AGs office is in order. We need to shut this guy down. Best of luck.

Pete
Old 08-01-2002, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do NOT let this pass without dropping a lawsuit on these guys. Do you have any written documentation from Precision Engine to demonstrate that the work was unacceptable? If not, would they be willing to write a deposition to the facts or testify in court?

Ken
Old 08-01-2002, 08:01 AM

Have you contacted the BBB yet? They can probably do something.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Whoa..

Thank you for the warning, Gadget. Very sorry to hear of your financial losses, to say nothing of the time and frustration expended.
The good news is this: With the power of the internet (thank God for Al Gore), a business like that has little chance of surviving.
Jim
Old 08-01-2002, 09:10 AM

Gadget

I am shocked to hear about this particularly in view of the fact that you recommended them and I know that you research products and services thoroughly before you recommend them.

I hope you can get what you are owed back from them.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

I'm sorry man but if it was me I would have already mad a road trip to go whip someone's ass if I didn't get my money. My buddy had the same problem with ordering some computer parts offa the internet. Trust me when geeks are confronted by like 3-4 guys they do the right thing. I don't know how that applies here but I would be more than willing to help if it is nearby. Heh it would help if one of the guys is a lawer too. Thanks for the warning..

Another Idea is to get a buddy with three-way calling to call them from his line... they wont be able to screen it then. Heck call them from the lawer's office.

Just few ideas I had to reply with because BS like that is one of my pet peves. My #1 pet peve is a guy hittin a chick. (peve is spelt wrong prob heh)
Old 08-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I called today just for the fun of it and I asked about all the hype that was going around the 'Net about their bad business practices.

I was assured that business was open as always, and to not believe a thing I read on the 'Net.

He said it was all made up stories.
Ah yeah, right

We know better. Power to the 'Net, power to the people.
It's time to make a black ball list page people
Old 08-01-2002, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Corey,

Yes, a black ball page would be good. However, there has to definitely be a format and rules applied to it. For example, you have to list the problem, things you did to try to resolve problem, their response, and current status. Or something like that. It can't be "Dude, they suck! They ripped me off! Don't go there because...I said so!"

On the flip side, how bout a page for those companies who do a good job? I think I'd rather see that more so than a negative, black ball page.

Bob
Old 08-01-2002, 06:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, I agree. We do sort of already have a page that shows vendors that have done their customers right, and sell gear for Toyota's.

It's listed on the main page here as "Vendor Links."
Although there is no commentary in there for feedback.

Oh, plus our Grear Review section too shows goods folk's have purchased that they are happy with.

We need to get more positive and negative reviews for that section.
Corey
Old 08-01-2002, 07:05 PM

I can't agree more I suggested in an earlier post that we have a review or guide of shops that provide 'good' service as well as the majority of 'bad' shops. This would help members take their babies to places that will do good work and avoid the Ah0le5.

Reward the good shops and punish the bad - it's capitalism at its finest.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with a seller review type section. These type of things are great for everyone. Thats why ResellerRatings.com took off, it works off of the same concept but its mainly for people buying computer parts.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:59 AM

Here is an email I got from JT after I got home yesterday:

"I didn't know you were calling. Did you leave a message on the shop phone? If you have been calling my cell, I have not been able to use it for a week. The charging jack in the phone doesn't work so quest is sending me a new one under warranty. The local toyota dealer is going to loan us a used 99 4Runner for a couple of days so I can finish the suspension. The new set up is far better than the old. We are just packed in the shop right now so the phones just go to voicemail. We check massages twice a day now. At least until my new cell phone shows up leave a message on the shop phone or drop an e-mail. You will get your coil overs, but we are going to test fit them first so there is nothing to complain about. JT"

Now does it really sound like I am making everythign up????

Just more BS from him.

Gadget

Quick Reply: Warning about Maxx Autoworks