Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Warn hub instaalation question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warn hub instaalation question

How long should it take a semi mechanically inclined person to install Warn hubs on a 1993 4Runner? It doesn't have auto hubs but uses ADD.(automatic dislocating differential...I think?) I am a technician for a large corporation but not much for doing mechanical work on vehicles, although I am good at electrical. I am told they are relatively easy to do. Are there any things to lookout for or any tips? Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Look in our Tech section.
I believe there are both write-ups for the Aisin manual hubs and also the Warn ones.

Those should give you some tips.

And yes, you have ADD.
Auto hubs were discontinued around '89, and were available from '84 to '89 on certain Toys.
They were very troublesome, as when you backed up on a trail, they would often disengage on you when you needed them the most.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:41 PM

Well as far as warns go, they are suposed to be very easy to do. However, I cant speak from experience. When I wanted to change my hubs I opted to go with the aisin manual hubs from the early ifs vehicles, solid axle models wont work. I got them for about $35 and they are direct bolt in replacements. They work great and are very proven hubs (in my experience). They only took about an hour to install and most of that time is in taking off the tires and stuff. All you do is take off the little brass looking cap on the end of the hub. Then remove the six nuts and washers, then the cone washers. Those suckers are a pain, i recomend getting a piece of brass and a hammer and striking the outside of the hub near the cone washer, but be careful those things can shoot out at about 300ft/sec. so maybe put a rag over them. Remove the hub. Then just remove the bolt and washer out of the end of the axle. Put the aisin hub on where the old hub was and bolt it up. Remember that you have to take the dial face plate off in order to put the bolt and washer back in the axle.

Last edited by 4rnr; 09-30-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:30 PM

Thanks Cory and 4rnr. Looks pretty simple. The Tech section was awesome for clarity.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:47 PM

Piece of cake....

I just installed a set of Warn manual hubs on my 1995 T100 about 2 weeks ago. The job went really smooth. If you don't have center caps like I did, you won't even need to take your tires off. As far as the cone washers go, they are really easy. The best thing to do is just loosen the nuts so that they are only held on by a few threads. Then take a hammer and tap around the flange. As you tap next to each cone washer, you'll see it shoot out and get caught by the nut. As soon as all of the cone washers are free, then you can take the nut, flat washer and cone washers off.

As far as the dust cap, I found it was best to use a steel chisel in between the dust cap and flange. I tried tapping on a screwdriver at first and it didn't really work that well.

The last thing I would recommend doing is picking up an extra set of gaskets at the stealership before the install. The gasket I'm talking about goes behind the flange on a ADD setup and will go behind the WARN body on your new setup. My driver side flange came off without tearing the original gasket, so I just left that one on there. The passenger side gasket tore when I took of the flange. This added an extra 15 minutes of scraping off the old gasket with a razor blade.

The last thing I'll say is under the dustcap there is a quarter size flat washer and bolt in the center of the flange. Even with the nuts and cone washers off, the flange won't come off until you take the center bolt and washer out. Just make sure you save that bolt and washer and re-install it once you have the WARN body mounted.

Other than that, good luck, have fun, and just email if you have any questions.