Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra/OME w/spacer front: What for rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I miss something? WTF is the raked look? Do I have a rake? can it do yard work?

Aaron

Originally Posted by ilikesoup
Ok, so I am mostly decided. I HATE the raked look of the LC coils, and I am going to be running 265's for a while longer. And 265's with the rake look weird. So I'm going to have to go with the OME setup, unless someone has a magical way that I can bring LC coils down to like 2.5 or 3 inches (bolt cutters.. hehe)

So I'm in the market for used OME N86/891... only problem is I'd like to have them in the next 2 weeks, because i'm heading off to college, and I won't be able to work on my 'runner up there. unr.frosh is selling is at the end of the month but that *might* be too long, if anyone has some laying around, that they just can't wait to get rid of PM me.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Rake = Rear higher than the front.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:20 PM

Oh right on. Well like I said good idea if your hauling ˟˟˟˟ like gear, tools, trailers, fat chicks, etc...! But if someone was going for the aesthetic look as opposed to the functionality than this makes sense. Rake= Bad aesthetics, Rake= Good functionality

Aaron
Old 08-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

So I'm in the market for used OME N86/891... only problem is I'd like to have them in the next 2 weeks, because i'm heading off to college, and I won't be able to work on my 'runner up there. unr.frosh is selling is at the end of the month but that *might* be too long, if anyone has some laying around, that they just can't wait to get rid of PM me.
I may have a set of 891s with 1" Cornfed spacers available next week. They are off the truck now but there are 2 others that expressed interest in them a month ago. Shoot me a PM Monday or Tuesday if you are interested.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

IMHO, I would go w/ new shocks as I've also been looking to get used N86's. It seems to me that Strap22 can get you such a good deal on new stuff that used w/ shipping doesn't make much sense. For example, a lot of N86's I've seen are $60 plus shipping (which usually goes for about $20 due to weight). Strapp22 can get you two new shocks for $130 shipped. Why not spend the extra for new stuff than getting shocks that have been used for 30 or 40k miles? Just a thought...
Old 08-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

I think this whole idea that the OME's, Downey's... are non-functional because they give 1/2" less lift is kinda funny. So many guys here have ran these for years and done some seriously non "aesthetic" wheeling. I have never had any gas tank skid contact with either rear tire well over 12" off the ground.

LC coils probably do a great job. No question about it. But the idea that any other combination is wrong or makes your rig any less wheelable is kinda on the "mine is cooler than yours" side of things.

Get what you can afford. Take every point of view with a grain of salt and I hope you continue to ask intelegent questions about this and your rig ends up like you had envisioned.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I think this whole idea that the OME's, Downey's... are non-functional because they give 1/2" less lift is kinda funny. So many guys here have ran these for years and done some seriously non "aesthetic" wheeling. I have never had any gas tank skid contact with either rear tire well over 12" off the ground.

LC coils probably do a great job. No question about it. But the idea that any other combination is wrong or makes your rig any less wheelable is kinda on the "mine is cooler than yours" side of things.

Get what you can afford. Take every point of view with a grain of salt and I hope you continue to ask intelegent questions about this and your rig ends up like you had envisioned.

Exactly!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin

That last paragraph maybe the best statement I have seen on here yet. I really liked that! Great job ecchamberlin! :bigclap:
Old 08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

I agree that the looks of your vehicle are less important than the performance, but I seriously don't like the raked look, and it's just a personal opinion. The real reason I'm going toward the OME's is because it's a more mild lift, which means I don't have to get another spacer for the front end to level it out, I won't have to immediately drop my panhard bar (because it won't move the axle as far), and I won't have to do a diff drop up front right away (because there will be only 2.5" of lift instead of 3"). All of those things are important, but they become less essential the less high you are off the ground.

Once I get 285's and start wheeling really hard I'll upgrade all that hardware.

As for running used equiptment, I do agree that it may be better to buy new (espeically if you have the money . But 25k to 30k isn't much considering I have 132k on my current factory suspension, and it hasn't had a problem in 10 years. I would guess that the aftermarket stuff will hold up as well, or almost as well as the OEM stuff.

One more question, can I run the landcruiser shocks with OME 891 springs? I don't know if anyone is using this combo, but it doesn't seem like it could be too bad, maybe I'll be the guinea pig... at 29$ a shock, it's probably worth a shot

(On a funny side note, I was searching after posting this post and I found this quote from nrgetic99

"Yup...

Steve does not care for OME and he documented why.

I could be the ultimate guinea pig and go LC shocks and OME coils....

David" )

Last edited by ilikesoup; 08-02-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

You will want to do the diff drop when you do your lift install. This is an easy cheap mod and it is great insurance for the CV's. As for the LC shocks with OME 891 is a no no. You have to have atleast 3.5 inches of rear lift (OME only gives you 2.5 -3.0) to run the LC shocks or so I was told. I am no genius on this but I have done a tremendous amount of research in the last few weeks and this is the information I gathered. Either way good luck. I hope things go well for you and me as I will be finally installing my LC coils, shocks, extended brake lines, and panhard drop bracket next week.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah... I was thinking that the diff drop wasn't too expensive... I've heard that the skid plate bolts don't screw in, but 4crawler sells a diff drop kit with extended skid plate bolts.

Ugh, I wish I could do a panhard bracket, but I don't know anyone local who would weld it. (friggen middle of no where northern michigan). I'll probably end up eventually getting the bent panhard drop bar.

Thanks for the info on the LC shocks, we'll see what I can come up for my rear end in the next few weeks.

Last edited by ilikesoup; 08-02-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah... I was thinking that the diff drop wasn't too expensive... I've heard that the skid plate bolts don't screw in, but 4crawler sells a diff drop kit with extended skid plate bolts.

Diff drop is a good idea. You will just need to extend the holes in the factory skid a bit to get it to bolt back on. I used a roto zip with a metal bit.

Ugh, I wish I could do a panhard bracket, but I don't know anyone local who would weld it. (friggen middle of no where northern michigan). I'll probably end up eventually getting the bent panhard drop bar.

Drop bar from Sonoran is the way to go IMO for a 3rd gen. So easy to do and not a perm mod. He doesn't eve charge a core anymore and require yo to send your stock one to him! It all looks like this when assembled

Thanks for the info on the LC shocks, we'll see what I can come up for my rear end in the next few weeks.

I run at least 150lb of crap on a daily basis and much more when wheeling and ended up with about 3" of lift still.