Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tundra brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tundra brakes

i completed the tundra brake swap today, which was so easy seems like cheating. After the swap I am getting a wobble in the stearing wheel at 55 mph. I decided to use a 1/4 inch wheel spacer rather than tempt fate by grinding the wheels. Also, like a fool, I got used discs from doner vehicle that I got the calipers from. The discs were turned at the local tire shop. Does the wobble seem like more a problem with the used discs or the wheel spacers? Seems like with the wheel spacers the resulting wheel stud lenght is less than desireable. Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Buhundred
My guess is the wheel spacers since I always heard that they cause vibrations.
x2

Did you get the big tundra calipers or the small ones? If you have the small ones, you shouldn't need the wheel spacers.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 AM

first u need to shake down ur front end with the wheels off the ground and weight on the suspension (lift with jack at the lower arm) and the steering wheel unlocked. feel for play in the front end by shaking side to side and up down then check up movement with a pry bar. Second tell me if the vibration occurs while u hit the brakes or not. if it happens while u hit the brakes then check the thickness of the rotors if above min thickness then resurface or stoping being so cheap and replace with new rotors that way u know the rotors r true. If the vibration occurs when not hitting brake shake it down, check for broken belts in tires, and check tire balance. And also as long as ur lug nuts are are fully tighting up against the wheel then its fine.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by okie81
x2

Did you get the big tundra calipers or the small ones? If you have the small ones, you shouldn't need the wheel spacers.
I went with the bigger size calipers.

The vibration does not occur when the brakes are applied, which lead me to believe that the problem was with the wheel spacers.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 AM

The vibration does not occur when the brakes are applied,
Then the problem is not your brakes.

Check the wheel spacers to make sure they are centered on the mounting flange. Not all wheel spacers are created equal, some are cheap and do not center well on the mounting flange. This would cause the vehicle to feel like a tire is out of balance.

I have larger 1.5" spacers and have no wobble, but they bolt to the wheel mounting flange seperately and have tapered mounting nuts to center the spacer. Then the wheel bolts to the spacer.

Also like someone said above. Jack up your vehicle and check out your steering. Sometimes fixing the brake wobble allows you to feel the bushings in your steering rack that are bad (another common 4runner wobble issue). These are fairly easy and very cheap to change out also.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:50 PM

once again SHAKE DOWN THE FONT END. if dont know how, then find someone who does. when u do ur not just checking the steering ur checking whole front end.

also fyi there are no bushing in a rack and pinion. u have the rack, in and outter ball joints and the racks mounts.

check the simple stuff first. u dont even have to turn a wrench to shake it down
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Check your toe setting. Spacers might change the effective toe. Steering wheel wobble is typically an alignment issue. If you get it aligned, have them dial in the max Caster the spec allows.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM

also fyi there are no bushing in a rack and pinion. u have the rack, in and outter ball joints and the racks mounts.
Excuse me, I meant the rack mount bushings, which are fairly famous (on the 4runner) for going bad. This allows the steering rack to become loose, which can cause vibration. Search some threads on this, they're all over the place.

But, as said before, not a bad idea to check tie-rods and ball joints and all other bushings while your there. A truck that old could probably use some new bushings in several places.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:31 AM

what i was saying is that they are not bushings thay are mounts. but ur rite they do go bad