Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission fluid cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid cooler lines

Well, for the past little while, I have been experiencing a small tranny fluid leak on my truck.....but as much as I searched, I couldn't find where it was coming from. So finally I just bit the bullet, and when it was in for an oil spray, I got my mechanic to check it out. After a bit of searching, we narrowed it down to the transmission cooler lines (correct terminlogy?). Its the two 1/2inch lines that run parallel at the front of the engine... just below the fan/rad/etc. Has anyone else had a problem with these at all? My mechanic says that there is a possibility that he can fab up new lines, but if not, we will have to probaly order them from toyota ($$$$ i am guessing).
So basically, I am just wondering if anyone has had this problem, or any experience with anything like this. I definitely don't want to get done this, and then learn about a much easier way I could have done it.
I will need to get them replaced/fixed ASAP, as my truck is my DD, and I HATE driving my parents 94 F150 (my backup).
TIA
Mark
Old 11-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help you with your question but I have one of my own. Do you have any idea WHY these lines are leaking? I'm just wondering what, short of accident damage, would make them leak. Could it have happened if/when you replaced a radiator?

One thing I do know is that they are not under high pressure there. Maybe someone else in the forum can tell you if it would be possible to splice in a hose or effect another repair, without having to replace them. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure they're tranny cooler lines, because my 5-speed has the same lines and they're for the power steering, which alos uses tranny fliud. If it's the power steering lines one will have some pressure, and the other is the return. The only way I can see the metal lines leaking is if they are corroded, otherwise check the ends where they connect to the rubber hoses.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:09 AM

The two most common reasons for these type of lines to leak is corrosion, or rubbing together and wearing thru. If the rest of the line is in good shape, you can usually repair the damaged part by cutting out the bad part and splicing in a new section using compression unions. You could run new lines, using either steel line or copper, but it is usually quite the PITA, and if you don't already have them, the flaring and bending tools to do it yourself could cost more than paying someone else. If they are still available new pre-fit lines from Toyota could be quite expensive. Stay away from using rubber tubing for the repair, except for a temp fix, because they are more likely to fail in time and turn a small leak into a big one in a hurry.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:50 AM

Well, things just got a bit more complicated.
My regular mechanic, messed up his arm.......and may never be able to wrech again. He is out for a minimum of 2 monthes.....a space of time that I can't wait to get my truck fixed. So now I have to go find another mechanic, and explain to him what exactly is wrong....and hope that I don't get screwed over.

So I figured I would post some pics, and see exactly how much I can learn about the problem/the lines, BEFORE I go to another mechanic I don't nessicarilly trust.

Name:  Corrodedlines.jpg
Views: 16730
Size:  77.8 KB

They are really corroded, all the way to the 90 degree bends on either side.
Do you think this is something that would be salvagable from a junkyard?
My budget just went up a bit, due to the sale of a car.....but its still low (cheap car, hahah).
Thanks so much for your help already.
mark

p.s. Does anyone have any reccomendations for good mechanics in the GTA (southern ontario) area?

Last edited by four.runner; 11-29-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:43 PM

From what I can see in photo, it looks like the clamp connecting the two lines is the cause of the rust and leak. If you are handy with tools, it isn't that much of a job to fix ( at least temporarily) yourself. It looks like the surface rust on either side of the clamp isn't that bad, so I would worry about the actual point of the leak under the clamp for now. After removing the clamp, inspect the actual damage to the lines. If you only actually have a small rust thru, you might be able to cut the tubes (using one of those mini tubing cutters) at that point, clean up the ends real good with emery paper till smooth, and install a compression union on each line. This should hold you until you can get the lines replaced at a later time. If you are really stuck, and don't think you can do the compression union thing, you could cut both lines at the clamp point and use reinforced rubber tubing to connect them. You HAVE to clean the cut ends real well, and make sure there are NO sharp edges to cut the tubing, and use two clamps on each end. This will work for the short term, but I wouldn't go for a long time. Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:55 PM

Thanks for your help man. I took that clamp off, and it was blatently the cause of the leak. So I was going to do as you said.......but then I talked to my mom's friend who is a mechanic.... and he said he would completely replace the lines for 100 bucks. So I figure I will just do that.
Thanks for your help anyways though.
Mark
Old 11-29-2004, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by four.runner
Thanks for your help man. I took that clamp off, and it was blatently the cause of the leak. So I was going to do as you said.......but then I talked to my mom's friend who is a mechanic.... and he said he would completely replace the lines for 100 bucks. So I figure I will just do that.
Thanks for your help anyways though.
Mark
For a $100.00, to replace both lines from the trans to radiator, go for it, thats a deal if it's done right.