Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Supercharger or Turbo?
Turbo
54.55%
Supercharger
45.45%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clifton do you have dyno results? It appears you did your turbo for a very economical amount and I would love to do the same - actually I'd love to do anything that would add serious power in the useful part of the RPM band. I was very unhappy that my truck wouldn't maintain 70 MPH going up hills on I-5. Downshifting to 4th just to hold 55 MPH is a drag.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

I don't want to thread jack here but Clifton I know a lot of us would around here with the 3.0 would like some more info on your setup. Do you have a web site for it or would you mind starting a new thread so we bug the crap out of you for details? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:23 PM

Here you go.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...359#post182359
Old 10-28-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was worth mentioning that my Supra has 145,000 miles on the original turbo with no problems. The previous owners likely did not idle the turbo and it didn't even have a turbotimer until after I purchased it. This kind of service life is not uncommon.

Another thing is note is that most supercharged applications are not wastegated. The wastegate is designed to bleed off excess boost above a predetermined level. My car bleeds off any boost above and beyond 11 psi and it generates over 30 psi when you disconnect the wastegate actuator hose (NOT recommended!). I get 11 psi at sea level and 11 psi at 10,000 ft in elevation. A supercharger that is designed for a peak boost of 7 psi will likely only make that boost at sealevel and will make less than that at altitude because there is less air to compress. That means less power.

My car has the largest factory installed turbocharger with the exception of the Buick GrandNational and I can get full stock boost by exactly 2100 RPMs. You don't want to make massive amounts of boost at low RPMs as that is extremely hard on the motor.

Just my 0.02
Old 10-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

has anyone even noticed that the thread starter, Mike (Xtreme-Offroad) has not even responded to this thread since he first posted it a YEAR ago today!

i dont think this project is gonna happen, unless you do it yourself.

-Casey
Old 10-30-2003, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, nice setup man!
Got any sound clips?? What bov are you running? I think the main problem we are going to run into with boosting the 3.4 is going to be the same with the s/c's. Lack of fuel. I don't think anyone here is going for a fire breather and just want a little extra kick in the pants to whip up on V8s every now and then. I am going to be talking to Mike on the phone here soon about an order, I'll ask him what is up with it. If you look at his site he has an infiniti G20 with a custom turbo on it. Pretty trick. I was looking at pictures and noticed a boost gauge and thought what a poser! Until I took a second look at the engine bay . If he does end up making a kit, I wouldn't mide offering my truck as a test truck. I even might have a turbo to donate. It would have to be over summer or something like that but I definately want to get baaaack into some booooost. Clifton, why do you say we wouldn't want a smaller turbo for towing? Is it because of heat and getting over worked? That is true, you don't want a turbo that is too small and getting over worked becaue then it just starts blowing hot air and not making much power. Look at the TRD S/C for instance, though I guess its a known fact that its the fuel that make them suck, not the size of the S/C.

Last edited by turboale; 10-30-2003 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:46 PM
AUJWE

Just curious as to what happened to this project from Mike's end? Is it dead now?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Ya nothing came of that...It was just not cost effective. Also, for the majority of people, a S/C would be prefered as they do not like to deal with turbo lag.

Sorry my friend
Old 02-02-2005, 05:15 PM

Turbos lag is over rated. If you are in the power band as you would be if it was still normally aspirated, say 3000 rpm(depending on the turbo) and floor it you wouldn't notice any lag and it would make full boost or close to it.

I believe STS has a turbo kit for the 3.4. For fuel, additional injectors is the easiest way to go, even with a SC.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by XtremeOff-Road
Ya nothing came of that...It was just not cost effective. Also, for the majority of people, a S/C would be prefered as they do not like to deal with turbo lag.

Sorry my friend
Understood. I'm sorry to hear that though. I would rather be Turbo'd than S/C'd. But, I guess at this point either would be an upgrade. Thanks for taking the time and energy to look into it though.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Clifton
Turbos lag is over rated. If you are in the power band as you would be if it was still normally aspirated, say 3000 rpm(depending on the turbo) and floor it you wouldn't notice any lag and it would make full boost or close to it.

I believe STS has a turbo kit for the 3.4. For fuel, additional injectors is the easiest way to go, even with a SC.
That is a true statement...However, I was referring to lag at idle...For example, if you were going to try to slowly bump over an obstacle, turbo would not really be beneficial.

For a street machine, you bet, I would take a turbo over a S/C any day...Does not require power to make power, a properly maintained turbo will out last a S/C by far
Old 02-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AUJWE
Understood. I'm sorry to hear that though. I would rather be Turbo'd than S/C'd. But, I guess at this point either would be an upgrade. Thanks for taking the time and energy to look into it though.
My pleasure my friend!!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by XtremeOff-Road
That is a true statement...However, I was referring to lag at idle...For example, if you were going to try to slowly bump over an obstacle, turbo would not really be beneficial.
A SC wouldn't be of much benifit either. Boost is not needed for rockcrawling. I have never needed more than part throttle. Dual T cases/ low gears are needed, not boost and WOT. I do use boost getting to the trail heads though .
Old 02-03-2005, 06:53 AM

Why don't we start looking into swapping in the 4.0 lexus V8. They cost $300-400 complete at the boneyards and have unlimited potential. If I didn't live in CA I would be all over this....
Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 AM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by naksukow
Why don't we start looking into swapping in the 4.0 lexus V8. They cost $300-400 complete at the boneyards and have unlimited potential. If I didn't live in CA I would be all over this....
Hmmm...............interesting.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:53 AM
AUJWE

A turbo would suit me fine personally. I don't tow anything or off-road. I would just like to have the extra power on the HWYs & interstates, etc.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 PM

its not like a supercharger is pushing full boost at idle either. If you want more power for crawling, nothing but gears will do and with the right gearing, you would be boosting with either s/c or turbo. Besides, with the right turbo, you can boost very early on kinda like diesels that reach full spool at 15-1800 rpm.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:12 PM

I'd be content with 4th gen's V6 NA engine
Old 02-03-2005, 01:23 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
I'd be content with 4th gen's V6 NA engine
Me too.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:43 PM

I know the 2005 4Runner comes with the V8 270 HP engine. Are there any experts in here that can figure it out on how to do an engine swap with the 4th Gen. V8 270 HP engine on a 3rd Gen. ? I know there are lot of folks in here that have the 3rd Gen. It would be nice to put a V8 270 HP engine in a 3rd Gen. without having to add the S/C and URD fuel mods.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo?