Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Somehow lost power......

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 12:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Somehow lost power to my subs......

I have somehow lost power to my subwoofers. I'm thinking it may be because I just installed mb quart speakers in the stock speaker locations so that may be why, but I don't think the installer touched my other amp that was powering the subs, which was already there to begin with. I haven't noticed it until last week and I just got my mb quart speakers so I can only think of that at the moment. I mean I don't think I blew my subs because they still work , it's just softer than before, like before I could see the subs actually move and stuff but not even if I turn up the power I can't even tell they're even on. Does anybody know how to check my amp, maybe I could turn up the power on the amp that powers the sub. I checked the wires going into the subs and they are fine, as far as I can tell. I will call the installer and ask if he touched anything or if he can fix it.

Last edited by Jason B; 06-23-2002 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:00 AM

I would say if anything, check the connections in the back of the headunit. That may have come off. Also, the speakers could be drawing all of the power off of the headunit and not allowing any to get to the subs!
Old 06-19-2002, 05:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First call the installer. Sounds like he changed something. Second, check the input level on your amp. It should be a little dial. See if it got turned down. And your headunit. Is it factory or aftermarket? If its aftermarket, check the settings on that, like balance, fader, bass, loudness, subwoofer level, equalizer settings, ect ect. There are a lot of variables here so theres no way for us to really say what it is without messing with it in person. If you get sound then you know your wires are all good. Sounds like a setting in either your amp or your head unit. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2002, 05:39 AM

Same thing is happening to me, except nothing has been touched, and it has been a gradual thing. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet, but first I am going to double check connections, then test the batt and alt to make sure they are providing enough juice. I have the feeling I might be sucking my electrical system dry.
Trent
Old 06-20-2002, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, headunit is kenwood the bass is turned up the most (8) and the mid and treble is at about 2 and I don't know if the wires are not connected good, I will let the installer look at that if it comes down to that. I still need to call him. Second I don't think my speakers could be taking all the power because my subs are on a different amp. I will check the dial on my amp for the sub though. I have checked the wires into the sub and in the amp and everything over there looks okay. One more thing, if the amp isn't getting enough air will my sub lose power? Like if my amp is overheating or something like that? Also I haven't had the subs for that long, I got them installed I think the beginning of this year or ending of last year. Other than my subs losing power the sound is very clear. You think maybe because the front speakers are louder the sub just sounds softer, but it's the same???:confused:
Old 06-20-2002, 05:20 AM

That can happen to a point, where your subs were overwhelming your old speakers, and your new ones won't let them drown out the mids and highs so much. But you said you can actually see that the subs don't have as much excursion, right? As far as the amp overheating, that results in a total shutdown, not just a reduction in bass. Your subs are still putting out SOME bass, right? Do check that sub amp's input levels, make sure the subs are in phase (+ to +, - to -)(although if they weren't touched by the installer then they should be good), and check out http://www.sounddomain.com for tons of car audio help.
Trent
Old 06-20-2002, 05:30 AM

Question would be, does it sound good to you? The installer may have lowered the gain of the sub amp so it would blend properly with the other speakers. Or, you are not turning up the main volume as much as before so the subs are not being powered as much. the thing you need to decide is if it sounds good to you or is it bass shy? Also, if wiring was messed with at the back of the head unit, one of the RCAs could have come off going to the bass amp. Results in 1/2 the power lost.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

it didn't look messy to me when it was installed, the sound is good but i think it would be better if I had a little more bass. Everything is clearer and a little louder now, I want my mirrors to be able to shake if I wanted them too.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:28 PM

You said that the subs have their own dedicated amp and the installer did not touch it and the wiring looks solid ie intact and correct + to + etc. Check the gains.

Check the RCAs on the back of the your kenwood.

You also mentioned that the subs are working, but just not as loud as before. I don't think there should be any physical damage to the subs.

As mentioned above, overheating amps will simply shut down, not lose power. well, none that should be noticeable.

Turn down the Fronts a to see if it is merely the quartz over powering the subs.

Is it a trusted installer? If you just drop off the truck, you never really know what they may have done... I've heard enough horror stories of bungling installers damaging equipment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Vince
Old 06-23-2002, 01:14 AM
Contributing Member

I fixed it, I don't know how I just turned up the something on the amp, well two things. I forget what they are already but it sounds better, at least to me now. I trust the installer, I was watching like the whole time so he couldn't have done anything wrong with my truck. I still think he didn't touch it, it's just that the speakers were so much more powerfull that I had to turn the amp up a little more than it was already. Thanks for all the suggestions though. Is there a way I could turn up the amp so that it would damage my subs? I don't want to turn it up too much. And if so how will I know?
Old 06-24-2002, 05:56 AM

Which amp, and which subs, and how are they wired, in what kind of box? Depending on your equipment, yes you can easily tear stuff up. It might be useful to go back to the installer and have him give you a quick tutorial on what he feels the system can and can't do.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

concept amp, two DEI subs, and homemade box. I'm trying to get the specs but I don't know which model the subs are.