95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Roof Rack and what Can it hold, RTT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rack and what Can it hold, RTT?

A while ago I started this thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...runner-135415/

I was thinking that I would end up with a 150 lb roof top tent. I wanted to be able to use it on my 80 series Land Cruiser and my daughters 99 4runner

I have since bought a much lighter tent so I can take my 80 on the Rubicon without hurting the CG too much.

The tent itself is about 45 lbs so I know the current factory roof rack can handle this. Load ratings are made for movement. With RTT's you have to worry about being parked as you unfold the tent, throw in sleeping gear and two people.

So, I am wonderingif I should upgrade her rack with either Thule or Yakima towers. Don't know the difference between Q towers and control towers? These I assume would use the factory rails for installation.

Looking for some recommendations to withold the weight of setup RTT with about 400 lbs total.

FYI here is a write-up I did on the Oasis II RTT when I got it, I haven't tried it out yet, waiting for the Rubicon http://forum.ih8mud.com/3110363-post6.html
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You can use the Yakima or Thule crossbars with her factory rack, or if no rack, just bars with the towers.

The shop that did my install two Fridays back used a total of four crossbars.
Her roof should handle it.

My tent alone is around 130 lbs, plus there are now sheets on it, and soon a down comforter.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
A freind and I took the factory rack off of a 2nd gen 4rnr and it dented in pretty bad when both of us were on the top, it was at a bone yard. So don't know if the weight would distribute enough on the factory tracks. Between the two of us it was probably 330-345lbs total. Don't know if that helps.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Romer, I remember reading your write-up over on Mud a short time back.

You know, and I saw someone else mention it too over there, I do not see why the Cabela's deluxe tent cot could not be made to work on a roof rack.
Plus you can store it in the rig.
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0034805516987a.shtml

That is if it is worth the trouble to mount it up there.
Depends if you want to be a foot off the ground, or higher up.

I almost bought one of these, and it would have been way cheaper than the route I took.
However space is tight enough in my rig now, and I like the idea of the tent on the roof.

Eventually it is going to go on one of these when I move and get a garage.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM

My guess is the round Yakima bar might be less prone to bending than square Thule bars but that is just a guess.

I don't think the stock rack bars are rated for more than 125lbs and they flex with just my 80lb kayak on top.

For Yakima you will need control towers if you want to use the 4runners stock roof rails. Use Q-towers if you want to mount it over the doors instead, or a combination Control and Q-towers if you need a longer platform. As Corey showed you might need more than two bar to distribute the wieght.

That aside, while a cool little contraption why not just use a regular tent? You would be less topheavy and small two-person tent take up very little space in the back (at you don't have to climb 6 feet when nature calls).
Old 04-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks for your help.

Yakima Control towers and round cross members.

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
That aside, while a cool little contraption why not just use a regular tent? You would be less topheavy and small two-person tent take up very little space in the back (at you don't have to climb 6 feet when nature calls).
This RTT does both. Mine will handle the weight, but I will likely set it on the ground. She WANTS to use it as an RTT, and if all I have to do is change her roof rack, thats fine.

Besides, here is a girl thant wants to further modify her truck and from the picture above you can see she doesn't just do it for looks.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

There are a few advantages to roof top tents too.

From a Google search

Hannibal Tents
The concept of the rooftop tent was pioneered in South Africa and the country has long been the market leader in design and production. The safety factor and advantage as a look-out position have made rooftop tents the most sought after of safari, hunting and adventure tenting.
Everything SUV
Q. What advantages does a rooftop tent provide?

A. Sleeping above your car or truck may initially seem like a strange idea, but it really makes sense once you learn some of the advantages.
1. Your sleeping surface is always comfortable with no worries about rocks or sticks needing to be cleared under the tent.
2. Sleeping up a few feet helps get you away from most bugs and crawling things in general. This can be very important in some climates where scorpions and snakes live.
3. You can level your vehicle with a rock or block of wood if needed allowing for camping in locations where you could not pitch a tent on non-level ground. This opens up a great many campsites that could not otherwise be used.
4. Cleanliness is improved as you can avoid a muddy tent that must be disassembled and put into a car or truck (often when wet).
5. Space is saved. Having the tent up top frees up valuable space in the interior of the vehicle while improving your sleeping accommodations.
6. It’s cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
7. The view is great!
Lofty Shelters
Your home is always with you, which gives you a great deal of freedom, fast and easy setup, even in the dark, equally fast and easy take down in the morning, when wet and cold. Your vehicle stays cooler because the roof is not in the shade. Ready storage of your bedding and equipment. Great ventilation and view, Fewer worries about insects, wildlife and greater security. Less sand and dirt to contend with. Sleeping on rocks or puddles is in the past. You can camp anywhere your vehicle takes you. The list goes on, you are only limited by your imagination
Lots more, but you get the idea.
I have several tents now, but the ease mine setup a few Saturdays ago blew me away.

Whiles others are looking for their poles, putting down a ground cloth, ect, a RTT can be setup in minutes.
Mine in under a minute.

One of the reasons I got mine, plus it is pretty darn comfortable with a 3.1" thick mattress and full bedding like home.

I am a light sleeper, and anything to make me more comfortable when camping gets kudos.

Plus I plan on living in this thing for a week or more this summer, so it had better be comfortable when camping
Old 04-02-2008, 02:31 PM

Romer,
If it's heavy I would use a pair of Yakima Q Towers up front (one bar over driver's doors, one over passenger's.) And a single bar using Control Towers and Landing Pads for the factory rack, this is the set up I have for heavy and/or long loads. Wish I had the $$$ for one of those tents, I'm trying to get our shop to carry them so I can get a break on one. Follow the link in my sig for more product info or PM me with more questions.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Romer
Thanks for your help.

Yakima Control towers and round cross members.

This RTT does both. Mine will handle the weight, but I will likely set it on the ground. She WANTS to use it as an RTT, and if all I have to do is change her roof rack, thats fine.

Besides, here is a girl that wants to further modify her truck and from the picture above you can see she doesn't just do it for looks.
More power to her!

Sounds like some pretty easy setup and comfy options are available. I typically stray further from my 4runner when out (climbing in backcountry) so less of an option for me though. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Roadtripr; 04-02-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

I drove about 30 miles, offroaded all day and drove to Tucson and back to Phoenix. (about 120 miles each way)
I was doing 65 to 75 the whole time. I used the supplied mounting hardware and mounted my RTT to the 01 Toyota 4runner factory roof racks.

I never heard it move, I watched out the sunroof a LOT to check on it and it never made so much as a itch. Even swaying back and forth crawling on rocks it never moved on the stock racks.

At 75 the drag was noticeable. At 65 it was almost non-existant.

All around I'm happy and I'll be getting some shorter bolts and slightly wider plates to mount it, but otherwise it will just stay bolted to my stock rack until I find something better.

Pics to come.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 AM

I have a 2000 SR5...I don't have a roof-rack....but I do believe I have the brackets on the roof already. Would the roof-rack attach where I have two vertical plastic mouldings on the roof already >?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay204
I have a 2000 SR5...I don't have a roof-rack....but I do believe I have the brackets on the roof already. Would the roof-rack attach where I have two vertical plastic mouldings on the roof already >?
I think you would need at least some form of cross bars.

I need to take some up close pics.
Name:  IMG_0968_edited-1.jpg
Views: 7682
Size:  86.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1007_edited-1.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  121.8 KB