Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

recovery help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recovery help

hey guys i spend at least an hour each day reading through all of these forums and i must say almost EVERYONE here has a sweet setup. i just got my 4runner for my 16th bday in july and ive had some fun with it already. having 2wd, i cant go all the places my friends go without getting stuck (most my friends have durangos and wranglers). i have no problem with getting stuck, i was just wondering what the best way to get out is. i mean, none of us are too smart offroad so theyre no help. we usually just use really strong rope and tie around the tow hooks under the front bumper and hook it to someones ball mount on their trailer hitch. what are some other ways, and whats a way to pull me out using some place in the rear, and what are some tools i should def. bring along. thanks for any suggestions.

also, any suggestions on wheeling would help (how to get the most out of my setup). im quite new to all this, but im trying to learn.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Try the search feature

I bring with me 2 snatch straps and a comealong (hand winch), a spade shovel, and a satellite phone for recovery equipment.

Made sure you are hooking up to the proper recovery points, and make sure your straps don't have ANY metal parts.

Here is what I use as my rear recovery point:

Makes better use of your hitch instead of using the ball (not safe).
Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

welcome to yotatech!

ok, first of all, just be safe. try to use common sense when offroading, that'll help make things a lot more fun, and prevent things from going wrong. other than that, make all of us toyota lovers proud!

recovery: since you have 2wd, and may get stuck, it would be a really good idea to invest in a trailer hitch (class 3), get a receiver shackle, like the one here: http://www.warn.com/atv/mounting-syt..._bracket.shtml , and a good tow strap (you can get the tow strap at almost any hardware store). When looking for a tow strap, you should try to get one with fabric loops at the end, instead of the metal hooks because if the rope breaks, the metal hooks could go flying and cause damage and/or hurt someone.

tools: as for tools, make sure you have at least a basic socket set, a jack, and a tire wrench, so you can at least change your tire if you get a flat. as you get more into wheeling, you can get a small toolbox and add to your collection. One thing that was brought up in another thread, ALWAYS take a flashlight and a first aid kit.

hope this helps!

-Russell
Old 09-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

i have a class III hidden hitch...it has small quarter sized holes on each side of the receiver, would it be ok to use this?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:33 PM

I think that the thing that has helped me out more than anything is a functioning jack and shovel. Most places that you get stuck you can jack up the corners that are stuck and place a firm base unter the tires (rocks,baraches,etc.) Tow straps are great when you have another vehicle with you, just be safe. -As stated before don't by straps with metal.
-Make sure your mounting points are solid.
-Don't put a strap on a trailer hitch ball, they do snap and become miniture cannons.
- I ussually throw a towel or coat over the strap when pulling, this will help slow down the flying strap if it does snap.

Each time you get stuck it is ussually different and requires a different approach. Experience always helps.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

get a locker and get stuck less

If you arent moving...lay off the skinny pedal - you'll just dig holes and make it worse
Old 09-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by northfacer581
i have a class III hidden hitch...it has small quarter sized holes on each side of the receiver, would it be ok to use this?
The Hidden Hitch is fine, I used mine whenever I got in trouble. Just find that part that Scofco's got in that picture and you'll be fine.

Darx recently replaced the stock hooks on the front end of his truck because he'd heard stories of the those things breaking. Depending on what you're getting stuck in maybe that's something you want to invest in too? Procomp makes some pretty nice ones.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

yeah, the hidden hitch is fine.. just get one of those warn receiver shackles that i gave you a link to. that will fit in there just like a trailer hitch ball would. then you can loop one end of the tow strap in the shackle, and the other end to whomever is pulling you out.

if you look around here, just about everyone has that shackle and a tow strap.

P.S. my tow strap just broke because i let someone borrow it, and they jerked on it when pulling someone out. when you pull or have someone pull you out, make sure there is NO slack in the line befor you really start tugging.

-Russell
Old 09-01-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Darx recently replaced the stock hooks on the front end of his truck
I would just pm Darx and see if he can hook you up w/his (1) factory tow hook.Plus, if he didn't reuse the bolts it was mounted with, it will bolt right up on the driverside of your frontend. There is a metal loop that was used as a light,shipping tiedown that his (1) passenger side hook will replace.
That is what I've been running for a while, although every time I need to pull someone out with the front end I use the passenger side hook out of habit. They've even served as skids a few times as I was trying to get my tire on/off a rock. So far so good.

Oh, yeah, get a locker if you're keeping the 2wd.
Or
keep yours stock, until you can swing a deal/trade in for a 4wd truck/runner