Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear window lock siezed...fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear window lock siezed...fix?

Upstate NY winter 2 winters ago gunked up my rear window lock with salt and crud. I can't even get the key all the way in. Thank God for the internal button, but...I would like it to work again. Anybody ever have this problem?--and if so how did you fix it? I was thinking a locksmith?? I want to avoid a dealer because of a most likely large price tag. Any suggestions or experiences would help.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jshanefadely
Upstate NY winter 2 winters ago gunked up my rear window lock with salt and crud. I can't even get the key all the way in. Thank God for the internal button, but...I would like it to work again. Anybody ever have this problem?--and if so how did you fix it? I was thinking a locksmith?? I want to avoid a dealer because of a most likely large price tag. Any suggestions or experiences would help.
Heh, my interior button will only roll the window down, because I spilled a soda in it, and the rear lock will only roll it up...

I've just been dealing becuase I can't bring myself to pay money to have it fixed. Have tried all kinds of graphite and lock lube, no luch thus far.

I'm guessing taking apart the lock and visually inspecting / manually cleaning would help, if you can get into it...

My goal is to circumvent the entire system and install a window controller on my aux port for my alarm. One-button roll up/ roll down will make me very happy
Old 10-18-2004, 03:53 PM

if it's just full of crap and not letting the key in, how about spraying something in there that might help get the crap out. before winter comes, i usually spray my locks with wd-40 to help keep the water out. maybe if you can force the wd-40 hose into the lock half way or so and start spraying, it might dislogde the crap and you'll be able to get the key in. otherwise, it's about a $70 dealer-only part and about 2-3 hours of work. i did it the hard way by removing the inside of the tailgate and tring to work around the glass (about 3 hours), my friend was smarter and able to take the lock out from the outside, it only took him about 2 hours to replace the lock.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Your best solution would be to just replace the lock. I pulled mine out twice cleaned it out and did the graphite thing, lasts about a year in the salt belt. Went to the sealership an got a new one ($35.00). To have it keyed the same another (25.00). Now I have 2 keys and a happily working rear window (on year 4 now) no problems.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:28 PM

I think maybe the stearlership is going to be my ticket out of this thing. I mainly use the button inside during the winter and use both during the non winter. I think before winter I'm going to spray WD-40 in the lock and then take some black rubber cement and coat the outside of the lock to make a weather barrier but able to pick/peal off when I want to use it after winter. Thanks for the replies.