Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Reactions to IFR mod on 97's anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reactions to IFR mod on 97's anyone?

Hey all, I was just hoping some of you that have had your deck-plate mod and IFR mod done would provide me (and everyone else thinking of doing these) with some feedback.

I did the Deckplate mod and noticed a difference in HP and mileage, I'm just wondering if anyone noticed some "return to normal" effects after awhile?

I want to do the Intake baffler removal part next, but was hoping to hear some comments from those who've done it.

Any comments?

Thanks all!

-Raptor
Old 01-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

I assume you are referring to the "ISR" mod.

Consensus is that it increases intake sound and improves the time to "slurp" of the engine. Bottom line, it improves throttle response.

If you follow my write-up in the tech section, you should have no problems. It is easily put back to stock too, which is an added bonus.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 PM

oooops, yes ISR..

Sry all, not IFR, but ISR, sry.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor
Sry all, not IFR, but ISR, sry.
In that case... What Christian said!

Many of us have done it - it increases intake noise (hence being known as the "intake SILENCER removal" mod ), and it improves throttle response.

And no, the ECU will not learn "around" it and change the effects. Nor will it learn around the deckplate. The deckplate mod will always get you more air, more air will trigger the ECU to feed more fuel, more fuel will give you more power. The deckplate has a proven track record of a 5-7hp increase on the dyno. I got 6 when I did mine.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys...

Yeah, wasnt sure it would be worth doing...or make a lasting impression...Since I added larger tires, deckplate mod is no longer noticable...more drag and all. So the next step looks like a trip to HD for caps and fittings. Thanks all.

Also, Mark...you find any noticable power gain or fuel economy with the electric fan mod? And, would this mod work on a '97 3,4L? Yours looks like a 3.0L...is it?

-Rappy
Old 01-20-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor
Yeah, wasnt sure it would be worth doing...or make a lasting impression...Since I added larger tires, deckplate mod is no longer noticable...more drag and all. So the next step looks like a trip to HD for caps and fittings. Thanks all.
Yeah, you'll like it.

One thing though, be sure to really secure the caps. A couple of folks (myself included) have had them pop off and either fall out, or fall _into_ the intake. Either way, it's "fun" to diagnose why the engine suddenly runs like crap.

Also, Mark...you find any noticable power gain or fuel economy with the electric fan mod? And, would this mod work on a '97 3,4L? Yours looks like a 3.0L...is it?
Nope, this is a 3.4.

There's a lotto info on the forum about the fan mod, and bottom line, yes, it does what you think and frees up some horsepower and low-end thottle response. Mileage wise, that's hard to say since my right foot usually runs closer to the floorboards than it should. Technically though, you're freeing up some HP, so it should take less fuel to move the same weight at a given rate.

fwiw, I've since gone back to the mechanical fan. There's a thread here about it, but the short form is that I went through 2 mechanical controllers, then went to an all-electronic controller, and on it's 2nd run like that, I busted a fan blade (BIIIGGGG jump over a sand dune), which got stuck in the shroud which stalled one of the motors, which burned out the new controller (instead of blowing the fuse) and... I simply didn't want to drop more $$$ into it.

I sill have everything... I want to go back to the electrics, and will "some day". But with the S/C and other performance mods, I don't really feel the mechanical... though every bit helps.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks Mark

Hey thanks for the input...you ever near Boulder Colorado...look me up and we'll go wheelin!

-Raptor