Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question

i found a "creek" here that i wanna stomp thru, but i'm not sure how deep i can take the truck. i have the deckplate mod but i'll seal it up before i head thru it...but i thought i noticed a very small hole in the box when cleaning the filter..it looks like it was there already...like from the factory...but the "creek" is about to the top of my wheels....will water get in the cabin? i just want to konw the max depth before anything gets' hurt or water leaks in the cabin...thanks!
Old 01-05-2003, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

If it's only to the top of your wheels and DOES NOT have a fast flowing current you should be fine. Just dont' hit it at 20mph that's what gets the water flying around after it hits your fan. When doing a deep crossing you should keep up just enough momentum to keep a "bow wave" out in front of you. What happens is your rig creates a wave and if your going at the right speed your front end will be right in the trough of that wave actually lowering the water level a few inches. BTW I saw this on TV on an offroading show so it may all be a load of crap. I've never done anything deep enought to worry about it.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:52 PM
Banned

One issue is the rear diff breather. There is a little cap on the top left of the rear axle. It lets presure in an out as the gear oil heats and cools. Sometimes water gets in and will ruin your gear oil and maybe the gears to. To fix it there is a very easy mod that involves getting a hose fitting for it, some hose, clamps and some zip ties. You raise the breather as high as possible so water can't get in. Your front diff already has the breather raised.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:00 PM

i see, is there a write up or anything?? how come toyota would do that for the front and not back?!??!
Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Page II of my mods section.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/modtoc.htm

Jalabers' page under the Performance link on the left side of his table.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/

I'm sure there are many more write-ups out there too.
Corey
Old 01-05-2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by UKMyers
If it's only to the top of your wheels and DOES NOT have a fast flowing current you should be fine. Just dont' hit it at 20mph that's what gets the water flying around after it hits your fan. When doing a deep crossing you should keep up just enough momentum to keep a "bow wave" out in front of you. What happens is your rig creates a wave and if your going at the right speed your front end will be right in the trough of that wave actually lowering the water level a few inches. BTW I saw this on TV on an offroading show so it may all be a load of crap. I've never done anything deep enought to worry about it.

I was playing in a waterhole a couple of weeks ago. The "bow wake" affect does work.
It was a little over 3feet at the middle of the waterwhole when we were there last . Wasn't that deep but you can see the affect of the water being lower behind the wake.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:02 PM

oh... 3 feet's not deep... Look at that! Whoa! And i got scared running through a foot deep puddle at my school. (it had a 10 yard diameter.. SOO FUN!) My first puddle! weird though cuz my brakes weren't workin' right for a couple minutes. I figure i just got them wet. But whoa could i feel that drag. THough i loved that puddle, i'm looking forward to the end of the rainy season so i can clay the red runner.
Question: Does water get in your muffler at that depth? I can't even see your muffler. Is it bad for water to get in there? (autos101)
Old 01-06-2003, 02:38 AM
Contributing Member

The "bow wake" affect does work
Glad to hear there's some proof behind that theory!!

Does water get in your muffler at that depth? I can't even see your muffler. Is it bad for water to get in there?
As long as you keep the engine running only air goes out and water doesn't go in. I have heard of vacuums sucking the exhaust full though if you kill the engine.. Water+Engine =Many $$$$$
Old 01-06-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by UKMyers
As long as you keep the engine running only air goes out and water doesn't go in. I have heard of vacuums sucking the exhaust full though if you kill the engine.. Water+Engine =Many $$$$$
That is soooo informative. Look out puddles, Big Red is coming. (I say big red to make me feel better about myself.) LoL
Of course puddles after the rear axle mod.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

DONT plow through it. I just got my 4Runner back after having to replace the engine ($2600+). Take it nice and easy, if the water starts to get too deep, turn her off and tow her out...

After you go through once, check your air filter and see if its wet...if it is, dont go through again.

Momentum is good, but too much will cause a rush of water to shoot straight up into your air intake like it did to me. You wont find me going through any puddles till my glovebox snorkel is on.

Water is fun...but be careful and dont fall to peer-preasure as I did. Just because a POS Blazer can do it...doesnt always mean you can.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:30 PM

I really wanted to get a feel of the vehicle when put in this situation. We have been through this waterhole before and knew what part of the waterhole was too deep go in.
After being in water this deep, my belts were sqealing something awful, but it all cleared up. Playing in water isn't really my thing.

After doing that a couple of times you learn that its really not worth playing in. You end up getting water/mud in your headlamps/corners/and turn signals. Let alone what your engine bay looks like.

Warning:

MAKE SURE TO PUT YOUR DECKPLATE COVER ON! I cannot elaborate this enough.
Think of your air intake as a four inch vacuum nozzle. It will not be good to have that thing sucking in water.