Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

questions on a 3.0 to 3.4L swap

Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions on a 3.0 to 3.4L swap

hi everyone, i am new in the site, alot of good stuff.
anyway, i`ve been thinking alot about doing the 3.4 L swap in my 93 4runner, i already got a 98 engine lined up as a package with transmition and transfercase for 800 bucks canadian, great deal i think, but here`s where the questions come into place, i know i could use the old transmition, but what about the new one?, i figured i might as well use the new one. what about the transfercase?.......if anyone knows can u please let me know, it`d be greatly appretiated.

hector ladron
Old 09-29-2004, 03:33 PM

Not sure of the tranny, but the transfer case on the 98 outputs on the opposite side from your 93. So it wouldn't line up with your front axle. The back one might be workable. I have no idea if the new tranny would bolt up to your xfer case.
Also, make sure you get the computer, the entire engine wiring harness(don't let them cut ANYTHING), the connector that goes from the computer to the dash harness(this is important and doesn't come with the engine harness, you may have to get the whole dash harness for that connector), the OBD2 connector(if you have that in Canada, helps if you want to hook up a scanner to it later), the exhaust manifolds(unless you run headers, which I recommend Downey if you do), the cat if they will sell it to you(or you buy a new one), the whole intake system including airbox(unless you run a K&N or something), the flywheel and clutch, the flexible fuel line from the engine to the firewall, all the evaporative emissions stuff(if you need that there?). I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it right now.
You will have problems with interfacing your new computer with your tach, your a/c amplifier, and I think your cruise control if you have those. I haven't yet figured out how I'm going to cure those items yet. The cruise control I think will be easy as far as the electric stuff goes, but the cable won't reach the throttle anymore. If I move it over to the other side of the engine bay, it would, but then I'd have to extend all the wires. Never use it anyway, so I don't really care. A/C and tach I want working though.
Also, depending on what sender you have for your oil pressure, you may need to keep the sender from your old engine. I didn't, and fried my guage on start up.
There's stuff you need to swap from the old block to the new, and other tidbits of info if you want more, let me know. I just finished this a couple months ago.

Last edited by alltrac165; 09-29-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The t-case will not work.

The tranny will work.

What tranny do you have now? If it is a stick, things are more point and go. No real reason to swap engine or tranny.

ORS makes a harness. Call them to buy one. Most other questions are answerable in practice or through searching. Call places to do business, not ask questions.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:09 PM

Is the auto trans harness ready from ORS. I heard about it and phoned and asked and they said not yet, but that was back in june. If it's an off the shelf item now we need to let people know, like me who has been waiting for it.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my truck left in August, there was not one yet.

Just get the new auto tranny. It is made to go with the engine.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:52 AM

alright, u kinda lots me there for a sec. so i could use the new tranny with the new transmition and be able to put it together with the old transfercase?.that`s what i understood, please let me know.
thanks for ur replies.
hector ladron
Old 10-05-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by hectorladron
alright, u kinda lots me there for a sec. so i could use the new tranny with the new transmition and be able to put it together with the old transfercase?.that`s what i understood, please let me know.
thanks for ur replies.
hector ladron
sorry, i meant: "able to use the new engine with the new transmition and old transfercase"
Old 10-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hectorladron
sorry, i meant: "able to use the new engine with the new transmition and old transfercase"
Not with the automatic anyway. I don't know about the manual, but the auto tranny and transfer case are all one unit.