Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

q? for those who have done a 3.4L swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 05:26 PM
RBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question q? for those who have done a 3.4L swap?

Need help in deciding what to get. I'd be adding Downey headers on the 3.4L Tacoma engine; so would I be needing ...
  1. my OEM (94 3.0L) catalytic converter or do I need one from a 3.4L that is free flowing? Also any brand name to use?
  2. So, if I do use a custom crossover, could I use Downey's catalytic converter converter pipe to go with my stock exhaust?
  3. Lastly, anyone here used an aftermarket stainless exhaust? If so what diameter?

Thanks for eveyone's input.

Last edited by RBA; 09-25-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:36 PM

Well, i have not done the swap, but am planning to in the near future and have been researching it. Here are some links that might help you. The first one, the 4x4wire link, is VERY informative and should answer all of your questions. If you want to talk to somebody directly who has done the swap, i have the AIM screenname of the guy who posted the 4x4wire article, as i have talked to him directly about the swap, just PM me and ill PM it to you. Also, teamshiftpoint here on yotatech is knowledable.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...=&fpart=1&vc=1
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=1
Old 09-26-2005, 09:51 PM

You won't be able to use the Downey crossover as it's going to dump out on the pass side. I wouldn't plan on using your stock converter either; it's anemic (1 3/4" I believe) compared to what's available from Jeg's or Summit in 2.5" or 3". I'm running the 3.4 V6 with Downey headers and custom crossover on my 88 4Runner. It's best to plan on using at least 2.25" for your pipe size; the headers themselves have 2.5" collectors. The crossover can be fabbed up by a shop or by you if you're good with a chopsaw and welder.

FYI- I'm running a 3 inch mandrel bent system with 3" converter, muffler and resonator. Most people prefer 2.25" to 2.5" systems given the displacement of the motor; it really depends on what you plan to do with it. If you're looking for normally aspirated additional power over your 3.0; go with the 2.25" If you're looking to supercharge it and then some, go with 2.5" to 3". Check out Jeg's or Summit online for good deals on converters-

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...92&prmenbr=361

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...838974&NeXID=5
Old 09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
RBA

Originally Posted by Willcipher
You won't be able to use the Downey crossover as it's going to dump out on the pass side. I wouldn't plan on using your stock converter either; it's anemic (1 3/4" I believe) compared to what's available from Jeg's or Summit in 2.5" or 3". I'm running the 3.4 V6 with Downey headers and custom crossover on my 88 4Runner. It's best to plan on using at least 2.25" for your pipe size; the headers themselves have 2.5" collectors. The crossover can be fabbed up by a shop or by you if you're good with a chopsaw and welder.

FYI- I'm running a 3 inch mandrel bent system with 3" converter, muffler and resonator. Most people prefer 2.25" to 2.5" systems given the displacement of the motor; it really depends on what you plan to do with it. If you're looking for normally aspirated additional power over your 3.0; go with the 2.25" If you're looking to supercharge it and then some, go with 2.5" to 3". Check out Jeg's or Summit online for good deals on converters-

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...92&prmenbr=361

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...838974&NeXID=5
Thanks Will! I am looking for various ways to do this thing b/c I wanted to look as stock as possible. This was my first vehicle and didnt get to enjoy it that much that's why.

I am also looking at the possibility of s/c it but ORS's Mike said that they did some without a hoodscope nor a bodylift. What's your take on that? Hopefully other's such as Bigflgyt sp? (Adrian) would chime in.

Thanks for the big tip! Best regards.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Supercharge it, by all means! You'll need a suspension lift or body lift on an 84-89 generation truck / 4Runner; don't know about a 94 but I would expect it to be quite similar. I'm running a hoodscoop with stock suspension / no body lift. It's my daily driver so I want it to handle well. You could get away with no hood scoop or body lift only if you reworked the motor mounts to set the motor approximately 1.5" lower and either dropped the front diff by way of a suspension lift or converted to solid axle. I liked the simplicity of bolting everything in and cutting a hole in the hood.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow RBA,
I was gonna ask the same question about the exhaust on my 95 Runner. I hope your thread will answer some questions for me as well.
One question that I would like to add is Would you guys please post pictures of the exhuast you have on your converted trucks. I have only been able to find one so far.

[/IMG]
Old 09-27-2005, 05:15 PM

Mine's crossed over exactly the same path, except I didn't use a flex pipe, I used different couplers (the ball / socket type) and the merge I used is here-

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...14&prmenbr=361

I used the 389-Y250300A to build my crossover. I'll try to get some pics soon.
BTW- My first attempt at an exhaust was totally different; I went behind the Xfer xcase with the right side and dumped it together right before the cat. It was all 2.5" and it was slapped together. It was too loud, it didn't read the A/F sensor properly and set codes all the time until I reworked it. The above picture is the only way to do it. It's been excellent since I redid mine.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:58 PM
RBA

Tragic Drive, my current set-up on my 94 4Runner right now is a Borla catback. I am looking at some stainless steel possibilities right now for my swap.

Will that surely opened some ideas for me. Still looking forward to see pics of your set-up.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link Willcipher it definatley opened up some ideas here as well.
RBA, I like the sound of the Borla's I might have to drive to fairfax for a look after your all done.
I know alot of people have done this swap bump for pics please.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:24 AM

I'm running downey headers on both 4runner 3.4 swaps. they both have crossovers that cross close under the bellhousing to the drive side and from there, it runs similar to the stock 3.0 exhaust. it leaves the tranny pan of the auto clear incase we need to access it.

we used 2.5 piping with mandrel bends. and fabbed up the exhaust.
since you plan on doing a complete exhaust, you might as well upgrade your CAT also. I would not use the 3.0 cat, I would use atleast the 3.4 oem or a hi flow cat.

as for S/C, I've had my S/C bolted up to my engine even before I installed the motor. its bad ass. could only get 16sec flat on the 1/4 on the stock setup thought. I dont think its possible to have the SC without either a body lift or a hood scoop. I have a 2" body lift, while my cousin has the hood scoop with no lift.

check out the link in my sig below.

-William
Old 10-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBA
Tragic Drive, my current set-up on my 94 4Runner right now is a Borla catback. I am looking at some stainless steel possibilities right now for my swap.
I installed my Downey headers today well one of them at least. I need to take the drivers side to the welder and get the EGR port cut down and sealed. That port is really close to the steering shaft are there any USA models that use this port ? Even the factory exhaust has this sealed up.
Anyways here are some pictures of the progress.
If anyone else has some pics of the exhaust on a 3.4 conversion please post em I still need some ideas.

This Pic is just because it looks so damn cool

Old 10-28-2005, 05:14 PM

How about pics with the stock exhaust manifolds? I may not have the $$$ for headers but I don't want to use the crossover. Also have any of you guys kept your 3.0 a/c compressor and got it to work. I've heard you have to swap the a/c clutch or something, where's that. I'm going to pick up a 3.4 on Thursday and I want to get as many parts that I need as possible thanx.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

EGR in header welded shut

Crossover

Crossover 2

Crossover 3

Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Tragicdrive, is it running? How much much did you pay for the custom crossover or did you do the whole system at the same time.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hektikwon
Tragicdrive, is it running? How much much did you pay for the custom crossover or did you do the whole system at the same time.
Yeah this thing runs real nice.
Headers=400
Magnaflow muff=80
carsound cat =50
flex pipe = 70
ball&socket flange=20ea
pipes and installation=250
02 flanges =free I made em
Total =890

I Think I'm going to change the muffler to something that is not as loud. I'm not sure which one yet.
All the piping is 2.5" and the magnaflow is 14" long .The truck kinda sounds like a sport bike when 3000rpm's but its very quiet at idle.
I'll post up some sound bytes in a few days to give you an idea.
Here is one thing that should be mentioned is the 02 sensors. This stumped me for a while on how to handle the installation. Toyota use's flanges on most of there 02 sensors. I'm not sure about the new ones but on the older one's there is a flange. Now what I did was use a 3/8 piece of mild steel and trace an 02 gasket on to it. It was then cut out to match the gasket. I then tapped it for the studs IIRC I used 5/16 studs however toyota use's 8mm.This piece was then welded to the exhaust. If someone else has a better idea let me know I couldnt come up with one. Oh yeah in the picture that wiring plug was for something on a 96 4Runner that I wasnt using it isnt for the 02 sensor.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Yeah I have that plug hanging now also. You think it could be for the rear diff locker? Good job man.