Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Parking Light, Turn Signal Mod, Blinker No Drilling! Video Link

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parking Light, Turn Signal Mod, Blinker No Drilling! Video Link

The front turn signals on the 4runners, and tacomas are located on the front face of the car, so if you are anywhere to the side, or in my blind spot, the blinkers just cannot be seen.

I've seen similar mods but they either required drilling, or only worked when the parking lights were on, or the parking light would flash when the stock blinkers would dim and vice versa like GM (Generic Motors) cars. There are some where you have to use a dual filaments, or adding another bulb. I felt those routes would be very time consuming, and would probably be harder to make the install look nice.

I knew something like this could be done through wiriring, and didn't want to make any mods to the housing and wanted it to flash simultaneously, so browsing the12volt.com forums, I found this.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...p?TID=83462&KW

And adjusted for our toyotas...

Also, the way I installed it, I can easily remove it in a few seconds and return it to stock condition.

Again, just to note, when the relay is powered, the turn signal circuit will be powering both bulbs. (When not in use, the parking light circuit will power the parking light) I am using LED bulbs so the load is significantly lowered, so I didn't see a problem with doing this. I think it should work the same with halogens, but can't say for sure as I never tried it with halogen bulbs. You should at least get LED's for your parking light, but the flashing sequence will look off. (I have a old post on here somewhere showing a video of that.)

The 194 LED's bulbs are not as bright as halogens, but I found out I was able to put a 921 bulb in it, and I bought these 18 smt led bulbs. Although last time I checked, I've seen bulbs with up to 27 smt leds. I also tried the 25 mini smt led bulb but a lot of the leds started to crap out eventually. The 18 smt's are brighter than the 25 minis, but the mini had a glow that was close to a halogens. This really doesn't matter from far, but up close you can tell I have led bulbs in there.

I'm hoping to get a write up soon.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhamYCVm6i4[/YOUTUBE]

Here are more pics....

Last edited by willywillyk; 05-26-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can my 4Runner play that music while the the blinkers are on? No really, nice work! I think what you did is great and really hope you will do a write-up for it. I would definitely do this mod but am not electronically inclined.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

x2 on the great idea and diagram.

Also x2 on wanting to do this, but not being that electronically inclined.

I have done plently of electronics installs (lights, sound, etc.), but I'm always afraid of messing up my car.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
please please please do a write up on this!!! i would love to do this to my 4Runner
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yea i got lazy i had some left over 7440 sockets from my tail light swap so i made the parking lights turn signals all i did is take the ground wire to the turn signal wire
Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 PM

bump (new pics added)
Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Okay, I am not electrically inclined at all. This seems to me like the only version of this mod that i really want to do. couple questions.

1. Did you use a relay for each side?

2. It is the ground from the turn signal that goes to 86 right? and the hot wire goes to 87? Is it necessary to have the cap. and resistor? and be grounding that too? or can you just run it to 86 without anything in between?

3. is 30 grounded or in the schematic is that bullet shaped thing the battery?

4. and last but not least could this be done with a 4 point relay?

Anybodys help would be very appreciated.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:58 PM

1. yes there is a relay module for each side.

2. no, it is the "hot" 12v wire going to 86. All the caps and resistors are necessary. (* few corrections- the cap used was a 2200uF cap, and the diode going to the cap and resistor on 86 should also be going to 87.)

3. the bullet shaped thing indicates your actual bulb for your parking light. It is 12v (coming out of 30) going to it, and the other lead is being grounded. The "parking light" going to 87a is the 12v signal from your parking lights

4. im not sure what a 4 point relay is. Im using a SPDT relay.

I can ship anyone the raw parts for about $20, or I'm also selling them fully made. contact me at willywillyk@gmail.com for more info.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

apologies to everyone asking for a write up. Ive been meaning to do it, but kept putting it off. This isn't an "official" write-up, but has pretty much all the information you'd need to complete it.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 AM

Thumbs up Same Idea but...

This is awesome! I was literally thinking about the exact same mod this morning which led me to this post. The only difference is that I would like to make the bumper mounted turn signals into parking lights as well. So the exact same set-up, but when the turn signal is not activated, BOTH lamps (bumper and corner) light up to give you 4 parking light locations and 4 turn signals up front. It seams like this is do-able via a jumper cable, but I am having a heard time picturing it in my head. Any thoughts??? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM

I think you'd need a relay with the same cap and resistor value, installed by your original bumper blinkers. parking lights would go to normally closed, and your turn signals would go to normally open and activate the relay and keeps it "on" for the same duration as the other mod.

I haven't given it much thought so there could be an easier way...
Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Couldn't you just pigtail both lights together after the "30" on the relay? This way both sets of lights would operate off of the same sequence? Maybe it's not that easy, but it seems like that would work.

Also, just to clarify, you have resistor between the cap and the relay? And then the relay and cap are each soldered inline with the switch at one end and then the other end inline with the ground? I apologize, I have never worked with relays, capacitors or resistors.

Finally, is your relay the DEI 8616?

Thanks and sorry for all of the questions. I would really like to do this mod next weekend.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 PM

sorry for the late reply. I think you're right. You could just interrupt the turn signal and tie it to 30. for the resistor, basically the positive end of the cap and resistor should be connected to 86. The other end, I solder it right onto 85 for the ground.

edit: yes the relay is dei part number 8616.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM

I could not resist posting here...
-First, great idea. I will probably reuse it because it is so simple. Using a cap to keep the relay closed is awesome.
-But about the resistor: It is absolutely un-necessary. It does nothing there. The resistor is in parallel with the cap and the relay coil; the cap will recharge anyways because there will be 12v across the cap and the relay. The resistor will just generate heat and consume more current, adds more resistance to the wires. Also you require a bigger cap because the resistor will consume the precious current intended to go to the coil. Without the resistor, a smaller cap would do the same duty.
The cap only needs voltage to recharge. No matter what I already wired a cap and a relay in parallel for testing, it works without anything else.
-The diode is necessary however to avoid the cap to send power to the flasher bulb.
-Last item, I doubt about the 100% legality of this installation; the DOT mandates that the parking lights should stay on. On most cars, a dual-filament bulb is used for the parking light and flasher. When flashing, the parking light stay lit. I don't think someone would get stopped because the parking light is flashing, but still. Think about hazard lights, they will prevent both parking lights from working at night when they are on (they will be flashing with the flashers)

Last edited by TurboLed; 11-19-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by willywillyk
The front turn signals on the 4runners, and tacomas are located on the front face of the car, so if you are anywhere to the side, or in my blind spot, the blinkers just cannot be seen.
Elegant solution!